A relationship that is not built on friendship, is like a mansion built upon sand. - l2 () l3
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Over population and the effects it has on the human psyche.

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is every one's take on what overpopulation does to the mind of man. Do over populated areas trully have more suicides, more bisexual behavior, etc?

"Dark and silent and complete."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think there is a drastic change in many respects regarding overpopulation, of the human race I take it.

quote:
Do over populated areas trully have more suicides, more bisexual behavior, etc?

Sure, but that is just basic statistics. More people equals more of any human outcome.

Does overpopulation cause more suicide, psychologically?

Probably. With less privacy, more pressure, faster paced societies, often centralized weath and power creating larger poverty levels, etc. But plenty of hermits kill themselves.

But we are social creatures, though resistant to change, we are highly adaptive when basic survival is at stake.

Families of 10-14 kids work just as well as single child homes, maybe even better.

I think the important impacts on psyche from overpopulation comes from unseen or ignored environmental effects.

From the quality and availability of living space and resources such as food, air, and water. Septic and Sanitation are always key problems of overpopulation as well.

But suicide and psychological effects seem to occur in all sizes of communities, and grow or shrink in direct proportion to them. That and they grow and shrink in response to key factors, such as poverty, nutrition, opression, slavery, war, etc.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that mikes is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think overpopulation does have a drastic effect on our minds and bodies. Living in cities and being constantly overwhelmed with human contact we tend to be more stressed and more on edge. And that state of being constantly stressed messes with our hormones and body chemistry which in turn messes with our mind. Our mind and thoughts is nothing more than chemistry and the interaction of these different hormones.

"thinking about doing something is just as good as actually doing it"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
humans do need social contact, but we need everything in moderation. too much contact, and it starts to grate on us, every single person i know likes having time to themselves, with no pressure to be sociable.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe it makes us intreverted. We can't have our space around us, so we move inward and develope a space within us. We learn more about ourselves and less about others. Though we might live in a city of many thousand, we may know less about eachother then those who would live in a city of a couple hundred.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree. People used to sit out on their front portches and relax chit chatting. Now everthing is high strung and so personal. People are searching for the answers to the questions we have always asked.

Who am I?
What do I want?

"Dark and silent and complete."
 62yrs • M •
greyhorse541 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
characteristically Happy people come from overcrowded environments. Sad people come from environments of poverty. Indifferent people come from environments of virtual immobilization (Japan, for example). Mad people come from environments of hardship. Happy and Indifferent people are concerned with air/space. Sad and Mad people are concerned with resources (i.e., Food & Water).

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Overpopulation drives people to cities where creativity is born.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy