Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

always count on my friend

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
soo we were in my 2-d design class and we some how got on this deep discussion on how to go back in time and he had the clever idea of asking "What would happen if you had a time machine, went back just before walking into it and killed yourself." Of course I instantly thought of the forums and had no doubt that most of you would shoot this theory right out of the sky.. But I would like to get your thoughts anyway.. It doesn't seem like to me that you could ever see yourself by going back in time because you're in present time just going backwards.. but my art teacher pointed out parts of quantum physics how matter can occupy more than one position at a time.. not really sure how accurate that is but that got me thinking even more about it..

actually now that I think about it we got into the conversation by deciding what super powers we would want and of course we tried to prove ourselves wrong and why we couldn't have those powers hahha

anyways, please help me out here maybe there's just something I looked past or not at all rather...

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The idea of time travel itself is just a human phantasy.
But sure we can play with it.
Ok so you go back in time 5 seconds and kill yourself. Whoops.
So one of two things happens.
One you kill yourself and nothing happens cus its a new demension... or two you never really killed yourself cus all time is set in stone. If you had killed yourself youd never gotten in the time machine therefore you cannot kill yourself. And the only thing preventing you from doing this is the unability to travel through time aye?

"Dark and silent and complete."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
indeed, but if you were to kill your self before going in then how would you have gone back in the first place? Even if you did, how could one exist in a demension where you don't belong. or something along those lines .____.

haha this will for sure spark another intreseting conversat in my art class today...

34yrs • M •
ok ok soo I told my friend about this and we of course went on about time travel.. and he came up with what if you could go into the future and kill yourself go back in time and live your life till you reach that certain point in time when your past self will try to kill you but you will already have prior knowledge of this and be able to stop it.

But I came back with "if you already knew that so would the past self so you would find another way to kill your future self[present self]" It seems it would just be an endless loop unless either

a. You kill your past self when you're in the future
b. You find a way to take the time machine and go back into the past and leave your past self in the future

soooo confusingg hahaha I love things that couldn't possible exist but think of it anyway.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that mikes is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
heey wats up guys. I was reading discussion couldnt help posting. I love thinking aboutt this kinda stuff. I find it amazing that we actually live in more than 3 dimensions even thoe we only really perceive and see 3. Time, the fourth dimension, is like any other dimension. It has infinite points within it. If we could see 4 dimensions we would be able to look at different frames of time simulaneously. We would be able to see birth and death at the same time. Its crazy to think of time that way. We might be able travel through time but we will not be able to perceive or notice it.

"thinking about doing something is just as good as actually doing it"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do you know that when remembering something that you're not travelling in time? An what about Premonitions, do you travel in time there?
Is it just that we can recreate perception, and work out from predetermination what goes on? Or, do we infact travel in time somehow here?
Note that you may see the same things in three ways:-
- when having premonitions
- when being in the moment, and
- when remembering something...
...these can appear in multiples except for being in the moment...
Does that sound right?

"There is no negative one..."
 32yrs • M •
The_Wanderer is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
you really can't travel back in time because the matter that makes you up[ has existed forever [conservation of matter] so you can't coexist with the same atoms

""The purpose of life is to end""
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
would time carry on if nothing moved.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 35yrs • M •
Acheron is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time is just one of those human things. I dont think it exists, but we need to make up some point of reference for any series of events. The wide consensus is that time is a 4th dimension for some reason, but i strongly believe that there is no such thing as time. There are only processes that happen and we need time so we can understand them.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy