Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

American Hypocrisy of Nukes

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find it ridiculously hypocritical that the American government is so dead set against certain countries developing nuclear weapons, and yet to this day it is still the only government that has ever used such weapons against another country. Any opinions on this topic?

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wormtownandy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if we were so dead set against other countries having nukes, we probably wouldn't be giving countries like north korea the materials to build them. the reason we act like it is such a big deal is that it gives us pretext to attack them. we give them the stuff to make the weapons, then we attack them for having the weapons. the nukes just offer justification while obscuring the real reasons for waging war (oil, imperialism, take your pick).

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A playground can't fit two bullies. One has to be THE bully.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Excellent topic.

quote:
the reason we act like it is such a big deal is that it gives us pretext to attack them.

Good point, it has been officially polled as the number one reason American's will back an invasion. And its used and abused as such.

quote:
if we were so dead set against other countries having nukes, we probably wouldn't be giving countries like north korea the materials to build them.

Ya, notice how we don't hear much crap on N Korea anymore? I was in Japan in the Navy, not two weeks and N Korea shot a missle over our heads, just to show they could. But Iran, dear god, they want to wipe out Israel, not that Israel isn't doing its damndest to wipe out Palestinians, but who cares about that right, well, Iran apparently, but they are bad for feeling that way, right?...

quote:
we give them the stuff to make the weapons, then we attack them for having the weapons. the nukes just offer justification while obscuring the real reasons for waging war (oil, imperialism, take your pick).

Hmmm, aiding and abetting terrorists, gee, and I thought that was wrong. Guess its ok for us though.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
A playground can't fit two bullies. One has to be THE bully.

Very true - there will always be fighting to determine who will be the bully - with Nuclear weapons, that's kinda scary - I would feel better if we all agreed that there would be no bully on the play ground. This agreement was made, but we, the bully have refused to follow up on the agreement and now we are concerned that others wish to compete.

We need to go back and revisit those agreements and possibly others would not feel so threatened as to compete with us.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy