I would rather have my ignorance than another man's knowledge, because I have so much more of it. - Mark Twain
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Calling All Techies

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Calling All Techies
I have a technical problem. I have a HP Photosmart Digital Camera M415. The other day I had taken a picture in my house and a huge flash went off. When I looked at the picture on the screen it was flooded with light. Ever since then the flash has not worked, even when I have it on the Autoflash or Flash On mode.A picture is still taken but it is dark and grainy unless there are tons of lights on. Whenever I hold the Shutter halfway down for the Viewfinder lights flash and the focus bar is red, which means, according to the manual, that there is some problem (but the manual never specifies what!) I thought at first that my batteries were just dead so I switched them with some newly charged ones. The flash still does not work. Resetting the camera does not work. I'm still under warranty, so I could get it replaced, but do I really need to? Everything else works fine. Please help.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well good lighting is an important part of photography and I would honostly always recomend external lighting for inside and no lighting for daytime outside. If it gave off a bright flash when you first used it the light could have blown or there could have been a wiring problem. Take it back in I guess. These cameras get messed up easily so it could be from anything.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ancient's right, its likely that either the flash buld, or the capacitor used for the flash blew when you got the huge flash.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok, well how much do you think it would cost to get it repaired? (I just don't feel the need to trade it in for a new one)

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • M •
Well the really good ones I used in Chayt's class took a few hundred to repair I think but they were really good cameras.

35yrs • F •
Yeah, I doubt that mine would cost that much, but if I went to the local camera repair place in my town it'd cost me $75 up-front just for them to look at it so I was hoping that someone would tell me that my problem was a bulb or wiring for sure. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, though, since the CHARGING FLASH sign pops up and then waits a bit before it takes a picture and no flash appears. I'm thinking that means 'wiring problem' and that means a lot more money I would have to spend. Since I am still underneath the warranty, though, I might just go ahead and make HP get me a new one.

35yrs • M •
That's the american way.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
get it replaced, it sounds like its the bulb, but to switch it out you always run the risk of ruining things further somehow. since you have the warrenty, its a cinch.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RocketTed is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
More than likely its like Wyote said. It probaly the bulb eg. regular lightbulbs flash VERY brightly.

"Bad things to hear in a submarine: "Captain, the flooding put out the fire!!""
 35yrs • F •
HP just sent me a new camera in the mail today and the flash on it works just fine. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully the flash will last longer on this one than the last one

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hope so, happy snapping.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
Calling All Techies
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy