As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities - Voltaite
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

BrokeBack Mountain

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ultima is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
BrokeBack Mountain
Let me start off by saying.. if any of you, straight or gay havnt seen this movie.. plz do so now...

[spoilers follow]:

I loved this movie and almost everything about it but the tagline ("Love is a force of nature" which strikes me as cheesy and contrived. I think the tagline should have been "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it".

The fact that Jack and Ennis have wives and Jack has affairs with other men doesn't really cheapen Jack and Ennis' relationship because Jack and Ennis don't really have a relationship. Ennis' life is a series of frustrations and disappointments because his central problem is that he loves someone deeply and has no context for that sort of emotion. In rural 1963 Wyoming to be queer was to be something less than a man, which is unthinkable to Ennis. Ennis and Jack are never even able to say, "I love you" to each other, despite the obviousness of the bond between them and are stuck with brief, impassioned, stolen time with each other. Jack being a little braver and a little more self-aware has dreams of them actually having a life together, something Ennis views as impossible and foolish. Their tragedy is that they're never really together, but never really able to get past their feelings for each other. I also loved Michelle Williams in this film, and felt she gave depth and pathos to Alma, a woman whose frustration and bottled rage mirrors her husband's. I didn't feel any of the sex scenes were gratuitous and felt that both scenes with Alma established important points about her relationship with her husband. Also, I'm not certain that the man in Mexico was necessarily a prostitute, he could have been a no-strings-attached hookup.
Mainly, I loved the ordinariness of this movie. Jack and especially Ennis were pretty plain people with nothing really distinguishing them beyond the fact that they were in love with each other without any sort of direction to go in.

"take chances, make mistakes, and get messy"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ultima is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wow... thats really sad not one single person on this forum has seen the movie. quite sad. I guess we are all uncomfortable with our sexuality. Sad...

"take chances, make mistakes, and get messy"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have watched. I like the scenery and the idea of the movie. I liked how it was reality and not some distored vision of what coming out was like in the 60's.

As far as the movie being produced is concerened I thought it was complete shit. T he movie was all over the place, time shifting and location shifting. The viewer is left to say what the fuck is going on here and what the fuck did he just say?

It could have been alot better of a movie if it was directed / produced .better

38yrs • M •
alecxandir is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i havent seen it yet but am looking forward to doin so

"if you look at it wrong, sex changes everything"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I saw it. It was bitchin'. It was totally worth the $7 to see Jake Gyllenhall naked.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
He outperformed Jake G easily.

In the acting department? Yes. In the naked department? No.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 38yrs • M •
alecxandir is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
lol i thought there wouldnt be any Nudity. [lol] damn now i really need to go see it [J/K]

"if you look at it wrong, sex changes everything"
BrokeBack Mountain
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy