You can easily find a reason to hate a close friend, but it is difficult to find reason to like anyone. - me!!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Depression

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depression
What do you feel causes depression? How big a serious problem is it? What's the best solution?

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Consciousness births isolation. A problem is what you make of it. Deception and distraction.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so pretend its not there?
yeah. tahts the way to go. pretend and just "forget the pain." thats fucking pathetic, and i hope thats not what you ment. hence the qeustion marks. im asking what you mean.
quote:
Consciousness births isolation

if beeing alone makes you think about things that make you depressed, then maybe you think about those things for a reason and maybe you should be dealing with them instead of avoiding them. and if being alone makes you comfortable, then cool.
but for me, being alone does cause my depression. and the best solution i have found is to not be alone. now you might think that is just avoiding the problem. that i should deal with it. but i understand that being with people makes me happy. and i am ok with being happy. i dont think its weakness, just human.
and its not really a problem, just life.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
The truth of the situation is that nothing you do matters unless you want it to matter and so you must do things inbetween what you do to survive in order to keep yourself busy. Dead things don't do stuff and the less you do the closer to death in a sense you are. Although depression isn't unnatural it is contradictory to life.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im not ignoring you decius. but a lot of times being romantic is the better way.

wrong. that only pertains if death is what you fear. and if not mattering is unsettling. what if the only thing that you care about is feeling "good?"

quote:
Dead things don't do stuff and the less you do the closer to death in a sense you are

no. ok. try this one on. chickens run around with their heads cut off. and your head is what you think with. therefore, in a sense, if you run around not thinking you are a chickien with your head cut off.
do you see how out there that is and how it doesnt really help the learning process but only insites some dumbass remark. dead things dont do stuff? neither do plants. they live. that is very natural and is not contridictory to life.

right. we know that nothing we do matters unless we want it to. but that doesnt bring us any closer to understanding why we feel depressed when not doing things. you say because we are closer to death. i have yet to find a depressed person that was afraid of death in the least bit.
you say it is unnatural because it brings you closer to death. but there are no universall truths and only self ones. so people that dont have that mind frame and dont think like that will not feel that way. what if to them unnatural is not watching tv. i think it makes more sense to say when someone feels unnstural they get depressed. because when you say its only from feeling closer to death you are forgetting about the people that dont have the capability to contomplate their mortality. but all people contamplate their natural state of being. where they are comfortable. and when they stop becoming comfortable, they start becoming depressed.. i think.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is there any point to feeling miserable over whatever you're feeling miserable over? Solutions vary depending on why you're depressed. Sometimes it's better to ignore what you're worrying about because it may be an irrational fear. Other times, you need to face the issue.
quote:
The primary characteristic of true depression is a void of emotion. Depressed people feel nothing.

Then that's not depression. That's the state of apathy. Depression isn't a void of emotion.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good points here. I think that tiny word 'hope' is the solution to depression, and by that note, maybe events that lead one to see the lack of hope causes depression.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I dont think depression is that big of a problem. Many intellectuals have it. Darwin, Edvard Munch, Beethoven, etc. All of them stated that it help fuel their creativity and progress. So i say embrace the depression and work on.

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 35yrs • M •
Yes I write my best poetry when I am depressed.

35yrs • F •
curious123 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
yeah when im depressed i also write poetry...you dont hesitate with what you're going to write because everything you do write comes directly from the heart and the emotions you're feeling at that vulnerable time.
what ive wondered for a while now is how taking anti-depressants could possibly help?? i mean...depression can be about how you look at yourself and perceive everything and that is controlled by the mind...how can something possibly control your mind and your thoughts?? if you dont like the way you look for example, anti-depressants cant change the way you look...its not like anti-depressants causes an illusion that makes you think you look better than you once thought you did...

""every advance in knowledge faces us with the mystery of our own being""
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Decuis I am so knocked out with your answers about Depression; I think you are absolutely right!
Depression is such a misdiagnosed thing. And mostly, what I am seeing is Anger, and people (including therapists) diagnosing Anger as Depression.
But it's better to call things by their real name, much more pro-active. At least this way, one has a better chance facing up to things, and making choices/change.

I think half the world may on anti-depressants just for anger!
We need to ask ourselves why are so many people angry today, and if our Western society grows unrealistic expectations?

Depression
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy