Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

God's Behavior - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Enigmatic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have to agree with wraith here. Try for concise, to-the-point sentences. Wordiness doesn't always make you sound intelligent.

quote:
Are we physical beings with occasional spiritual moments; or spiritual beings with physical moments?

Well, I'd have to say humans always have physical moments. We physically exist. Hah. As far as a spirit is concerned, I could have one, but I really haven't seen any evidence of it. I just know that I AM in this world. I'm a living being.

quote:
On this note, do you see time as finite or do you see eternity?

Um, I believe time is infinite. I also believe it could be infinite not only in going forwards, but also backwards into the past. Who knows?

And, even with your elaborations I fail to see the real point you are trying to make.

"How am I not myself?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, getting back to the original post:
if you choose not to believe in a God that punishes people who don't believe in Him and rewards those who do then that is your choice. but assuming a God has the power attributed to the traditional God in the Christian sense (which we appear to be assuming by the first post in this thread) then it only stands to reason that this all powerful God also has the right to punish and reward those He wishes to punish and reward. thus, you have the choice of believing or not believing in Him and He has the choice to punish and/or reward you. however, assuming again that the God we're talking about is the traditional God we will never understand His reasons for anything He does being mortal. we will never know why He does what He does, we only He does it.

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dude...if you are truly agnostic god is not going to punish you the idea you are referring to is a Christian one, so if you are no longer a Christian take what truths you want from your experiences as one and forget the psychological brainwashing that you have incurred for the duration of your brainwashing and move on.

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 36yrs • M •
quote:
Dude...if you are truly agnostic god is not going to punish you the idea you are referring to is a Christian one, so if you are no longer a Christian take what truths you want from your experiences as one and forget the psychological brainwashing that you have incurred for the duration of your brainwashing and move on.

Dude...I know. I'm just making a point about the ridiculous nature of the Christian god.

"How am I not myself?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

this is one of the most pathetic things i have ever heard. you are telling him to take waht "truths" he wants. does that mean he should decide what secureties of what religion make him feel safest, and beleive those? i think it does. you are telling him to lie to himself and beleive it, because if you dont now, the definition of agnostic, you can pretend that you do, and there will be no conseqeunces because you are to ignorant to understand the that you actions have conseqeunces.
that is very bad advice. stop thinking and just pck whatever makes you feel best? no. admit that you are confused and continue working on it. stop thinking that you understand the nature of something as complicated as a god, and keep thinking. you are so caught up in being right that you forgot why you started asking the qeustion. you want to know the motives of god. that means you beleive there is one. i dont see how you could look at it any other way accept that you are only want ing to know the christian gods motives, just to through it in other peoples faces that they are wrong. and if thats what you are doing, you are an ass-hole. both of you.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
*claps*

search for truth is far more important than simple absolution.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Enigmatic: It seems like your less of an agnostic and more of an atheist. Why claim to be agnostic, if you believe the Christian 'god' ideology is ridiculous in nature. Why not reject God.
Just my perception.

What truth

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
personal truth. all the greats find personal truth. if you simply adhere to predesigned doctrines, you arent helping anyone - most of all yourself.

the sheep run around claiming individuality while submitting to collectively similiar truths. wolves design their own truths.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
quote:
Enigmatic: It seems like your less of an agnostic and more of an atheist. Why claim to be agnostic, if you believe the Christian 'god' ideology is ridiculous in nature. Why not reject God.
Just my perception.

Hey hey guys, I am by no means an atheist. Just because the traditional god seems a bit ridiculous and maybe farfetched to me sometimes, I still can't say it doesn't exist. Saying god doesn't exist is just as high on the ignorance scale as blindly submitting to it.

Ultimately, I don't believe there is any way to know and believe in a higher being such as god. And I do believe that is agnosticism.

I do appreciate being called an asshole though. That was directed at me right wraith?

"How am I not myself?"
 37yrs • M •
quote:
personal truth

Indeed yes. There is no absolute universal truth.

41yrs • M •
Wraith I would like to attempt to teach you something today, you jump to conclusions to easily and need to learn to shift your perspectives, I did not mean take the easiest route, what I have learnt about life is that there are truths in everything, sooner or later if you question as much as possible things start to come together like a huge puzzle, what information you absorb on a daily basis believe it or not has some relevance in a grander scheme of things, I truly believe that spiritual life is all about obtaining a higher consciousness via education and perspective.

Personal truth is universal truth because if you as an individual could ever have undoubted 'faith' in any one thing that would make it true. Thought being manifest and all.

Wraith assuming someone's motives and then referring to them as 'assholes' without even attempting to know the state of that individuals mind frame is a sure sign of stupidity, you are not stupid now are you wraith?

37yrs • M •
Personal truth is not a universal truth. It is an absolute individual truth.

41yrs • M •
If you truly believed something then you could make it universal truth, but not one human being will ever be able to do that. But perhaps i'm misunderstanding you point define universal truth!

37yrs • M •
You are slightly misunderstanding my point.
I won't go into detail, but just briefly 'universal truth'- is that there is only one truth. This is of course an empty abstraction and doesn't exist. Only individual perception is our reality.

(if you want more detail just pm me fairyboy).

48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I won't go into detail, but just briefly 'universal truth'- is that there is only one truth. This is of course an empty abstraction and doesn't exist. Only individual perception is our reality.
Is this statement true?

Truth by definition is exclusive. If you stop me and my wife in the street and ask if she is pregnant. Would you conclude that your question is answered if she answers yes and at the same time I answer no? No you would not.

But by your logic that is a perfectly acceptable response! (No is what I believe is truth and yes is what she believes is truth. But only one of us can be right.)

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
God's Behavior - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy