The time has come when we have to pay for having been Christians for two thousand years. (Nietzsche) - rschulz
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why things are cheasy?

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why things are cheasy?
So as usual it's the holiday season and I feel like I'm being bombarded with cheesy ads of help others, the less fortunate and I even got one on whales. Which once again i had an uncontrollable urge to burst out laughing. I did as usual. But this all got me wondering why do these people sound like such idiots or well in softer terms cheesy. I've come to only one logical conclusion to why it sounds so ridiculous. And that simply is that people should just do it. Don't talk about how much you do for others because you'll sound like that.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Because of the convention of the holidays as being a time of generosity (which means spending money to buy gifts), non-profit organizations take advantage of that (and I don't blame them.) But what's ridiculous is that we all get so much mail, we don't bother looking at half of them. If these companies spent half of their advertising budget on commercials on tv and radio instead of paper, they'd be more effective.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
Right but when you hear someone say this, do you sit and say hey wouldn't he/she be fun to chill with. NO you look at them and realize that they're stupid and pick the simplest way to give a good dead. They're someone who feels they need to fill you in on their good dead situation. If the discussion needs to continue take someone with you to share the experience. People I feel need to be more creative about how they approach a good dead. That is why it's cheesy. It's the same lame ass thing every year.

36yrs • F •
There are different ways to gain support for a cause. Advertisements is also another way of receiving recognition and support. If you're really devoted to a cause, you'll do whatever it takes to gain support. Granted, "help us" letters through the mail are still cheesy and insincere.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
If people did ever find anything that wasn't cheesy for support don't you think that would call for excitement. If something new, realistic turned around the corner wouldn't that call for celebration?

36yrs • F •
It's tough to find and finance better ways. I've volunteered for non-profit organizations and it's challenging because you're depending on the goodness within humans (and the guilt within them.) People are happiest during the holidays, so non-profits see it as an opportunity.

36yrs • M •
Nobody said it would be easy. If it was easy it would just be the way.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
advertisements like that are cheesey because they are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. they appeal to a lot of the less intelligent population, and they just hope that the more intelligent population will think it a good enough cause to give them money anyway.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
I don't think that people giving to charities questions intelligence, I think it's time to question those that make the commercials. Every other sector of marketing is brilliant but for some reasons charitys are lacking.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i didnt mean that giving questioned intelligence, i meant that the people that the adverts appeal to are the less intelligent ones who would be less inclined to give money of their own accord.

i also agree with you, charity advertising is some of the worst around, topped only by the pure crassness of double glazing.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
Why things are cheasy?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy