When your mom says try it you'll like it, you probably won't like it. - trumpy303
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Muslim women who cover their hair

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do you come across any on a daily basis? Do you treat them any differently than you would treat another woman? What impressions does the head scarf give you?

What do you think of Muslim women wearing a head scarf? Why do you think they do it? Is it wrong?

I've a lot Muslim friends. One who began covering her hair later in life said, "When I was talking to them, I felt as though they were looking at me like I was a person and not just a woman. They look at my face and not at my chest." Just wanted to get your thougts on this.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • F •
Agreed. Makes me wonder why they bother covering their hair.

Can you understand why they cover? It something that still puzzles me. Is it not possible to dress in jeans and a sweater and still get respect?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the thing is i dont really look at them as women. at all. i just see the as people and i am imediatly and completely turned off and away from them in any and every sexuall manner.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There was a woman who worked for our company once who wore the whole black garmet thing. I don't know, it was obviouse to me that she was religious (like a nun) so I would always smile at her and say hi whenever we crossed paths and she would always smile back with a sweet caring smile.

Nevertheless If she had boobs, I would have noticed them and pretended not to. But with that outfit she was wearing I couldn't tell.

But nomatter. It is natural to notice a woman's boobs, this is where we receive our nurture and neither lookie or looker should be ashamed of this.

But a woman ofcourse wants to know that she is more than just boobs and a man should be a gentleman and see the rest of her as well and maybe the scarf helps. But I think if this was a concern of a woman, she would wear the whole black garmet thing (whatever you call it).

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I try not to notice it but quite often they catch me starring. I'm not sure why I stare but usually it ends up in me laughing and making the other person feel uncomfortable. I just think it looks ridiculous. Not in a sense that they look funny but that they do this for religion. I don't see how them wearing this will help them gain favour from their God.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
Do you think that there's a lesser degree of rape in Muslim countries because of this? I'm trying to think of reasons how their style of dress would benefit them.

They look like nuns, like they've given up the world for God. It's as though by covering their hair, they don't focus on their own beauty and this leads them to greater humility.

It's also a sign that says, "I'm not a flirt, a slut, or a tool, so don't even bother flirting with me." My Muslim friends say that this increases their respect in the eyes of men, and women.

Of course, most of the ones I met don't act like nuns, but that's the impression I get from the dress.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Do you think that there's a lesser degree of rape in Muslim countries because of this? I'm trying to think of reasons how their style of dress would benefit them.

That would depend on the country. I know Canadian living in a Muslim country and the dress code there is simply a way of keeping men in control. Theoretically it is so that the women don't "ask" to be raped. But if a man rapes a woman the blame is still on her and therefore the attire seems rather irrelevant. But it likely varies in different countries as well as from cities to towns.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • F •
Believe me, Decius, when I say headress in no way hurts the economy. I have seen Muslim women spend just as much (if not more) than the average woman on clothes and makeup. Just like how we have clothes that cost $1000, they have desginer headscarfs that cost that much. This shocked me because I thought the headscarf would get rid of consumer culture but it endorses it. Avon and Loreal still make $$$ in Muslim countries.

36yrs • M •
A top of the line headscarf. I have now heard everything.

36yrs • F •
JackerJones, this is commerce. If people use it, it will be brand-named. Everything from kitty litter to cow manure.

What I don't get it why women cover but not the men.

36yrs • M •
Attolia lighten up things don't have to be serious all the time.

36yrs • F •
You're like the 239th person to tell me that, JackerJones. If I were immortal, I would laugh at everything, but the fact that I'm going to die makes me serious.

But getting back on topic...

Islam requires that women wear the head scarf. Isn't that taking away women's rights?

36yrs • F •
So if men are more likely to commit sexual indecencies, why not place restrictions on them?

36yrs • M •
Women are just as superficial as men but in different ways. Women prefer men with money, power, fast cars etc. Why not make men not talk about their bank accounts, drive the same car, not talk about their occupation etc. Hugh Hefner wouldn't be fucking play bunnies if he didn't have these things. The reason we don't talk about this is because it's ridiculous just like women wearing headscarfs. We live in a superficial society and it's plain human nature to do so. A man sees two cars going down the street. One's a beater the other a Ferrari. If someone had the option of choosing one of the two likely they'd choose the Ferrari. I don't see why it's wrong to go to a more attractive girl and try to get to know her than an ugly one.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would say that the women wear the headress to protect herself. Being raped would be bad, but dishonoring your family could mean death.

I heard this very disturbing story on NPR. A fifteen year old girl in Iraq had been kidnapped, luckily the family got her back, or was it lucky. Everyone was distraught, noone knew what to do, had she been raped by her captures, she said she hadn't, but how do you know. So her brother takes out his gun and shoots her in the head, the girl is dead but the family honour is safe.

He tells this story openly, nobody will arrest him, because honour killings are not a crime.

They interview a locale doctor who explains that he will refuse to check for parents if their daughter is a virgin, because she is found not to be a virgin, she will surely be killed.

I'm sorry - I try to be accepting and all - but this does not make me feel at all good about Islam. While I'm sure not all of Islam practices this. If in an Islamic nation a person can commit such a crime and not be punished, then it is the norm for Islam and doesn't make Islam a very good religion.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy