Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Life, what is it?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Life, what is it?
Have you ever just stoped and thought about what life really is? If you have has it ever perplexed you in either its complexity or simplicity?
Latelly I have been doing this and have found that life is not fully either. It can be whatever we want it to be, either complex or very simple. In fact I would like to challenge all of you to figure out what life is exactally and dont just post the deffintion for life becouse I do not belive in deffintions anymore. A breif summary would be that is can you have death without life no but can you have life without death yes. Death is not a universal consturct as we are told it is. It is only here becouse it feels that some species need to be controlled otherwise if there was no death then the planet would be overrun. So as I said ask yourself what is life and then please post your findings here.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Life is the organic phenomenon through a process between conception and death of an organism. However nothing is created nor destroyed. Every step in the process is a transformation.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Regarding the possibility of life without death, it is said that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only transferred. So what we may percieve as death could be just a change in form. Given the cycle of nature (i.e. the water cycle), I believe this to be a logical theory that likely applies to human life and death. But for all we know the rules could change completely once we kick the proverbial bucket.

I think we all stop to ponder life occasionally. When I do, I usually end up wanting to drag my face down a cactus because my brain can't take it and I end up thinking "why is there anything? Was something created from nothing? Is that even possible?" And then my head explodes.

I agree that life is neither complex or simple, it's relative. Life means something different to everyone, so you'll likely get a very broad range of responses before this trails off into a debate about reincarnation. Or not, I don't know.

Wow, dig that babble.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Regarding the possibility of life without death, it is said that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only transferred. So what we may percieve as death could be just a change in form. Given the cycle of nature (i.e. the water cycle), I believe this to be a logical theory that likely applies to human life and death. But for all we know the rules could change completely once we kick the proverbial bucket.

I think we all stop to ponder life occasionally. When I do, I usually end up wanting to drag my face down a cactus because my brain can't take it and I end up thinking "why is there anything? Was something created from nothing? Is that even possible?" And then my head explodes.

I agree that life is neither complex or simple, it's relative. Life means something different to everyone, so you'll likely get a very broad range of responses before this trails off into a debate about reincarnation. Or not, I don't know.

Wow, dig that babble.

The way you think seems just how I think. ^^

Yeah.. I think about life alot actually. I hate thinking about it because it frustrates me. It throughs me sometimes into a deep trance like state of despair and apathy. Sometimes I am left in nothing but awe of ot. Sometimes I just force myself from thinking about it because usually it is a negative feeling I get from it.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Regarding the possibility of life without death, it is said that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only transferred. So what we may percieve as death could be just a change in form

you assume you have a soul? and that the soul is compposed of ctuall matter. because our energy from our body id turned into ash and fertilizer.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F •
Yes, I like to believe that a part of us (in an unknown form and through an unknown course) carries on to another step in an (again unkown) process. Frankly, that possibility is one of the few things that has kept me from giving up on everything.

There's talk of the body losing 21 grams at the moment of death, so it's possible that's the soul. It's also possible that the soul is beyond physical, so we'd have no way of knowing the process it goes through (providing it does exist).

It's certainly a nice thought.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
There's talk of the body losing 21 grams at the moment of death, so it's possible that's the soul.

sounds like gas to me sweety

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xaej is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have often found myself just fascinated with life itself, not the degree of simplicity or complexity, but just life in itself. Just to think that something as big as life actually works. As for your talk on whether life and death are necessary in order for the other to occur as well, death can definitely not occur without life, that's the easy one. But why die at all? Death is clearly not required for life to occur, otherwise, the first life could not have happened as there would have been nothing to die. Finally, the talk of your losing 21 grams as you die, are you suggesting that your sould has weight, lol ?

After reading what I typed in response to you, I have figured out that this matter is much easier questioned than answer. Let's see what everyone else thinks

- Xaej

"I'm just a normal boy, that sank when I went overboard"
 35yrs • F •
"Finally, the talk of your losing 21 grams as you die, are you suggesting that your sould has weight, lol ?"

It's been debated. But I was merely offering it alongside the other possibility that the soul is not even physical, and therefore has no weight or mass. I'm keeping a pretty open mind until I croak and can see for myself.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
life does not exist, therefore life can not be taken.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
About life and its meaning I just hada thought... It came to me in a dream unexpectedly so It's not that clear, let me see if I remember how to word this..

Take one word that would describe your way of living or a word that greatly relates to you.. Break that down to find the true meaning of your own life. not the lives of others or in general.

Ex. For me, The meaning of my life would be the search of wisdom.

Again this is kinda hazy to me but It seemed to make a lot more sense when It was told to me in my deam and it's odd that I can't remember what their exact words were.. hopefully this makes some sense and I know for a fact some of you on here can elaborate on this or strike it down with good reason.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
Life, what is it?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy