He who works with his hands is a labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist - Saint Francis of Assisi
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Nature of Knowledge

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
Leyla is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Nature of Knowledge
How do we know that the things we know, we really do "know"? How do we obtain knowledge, and how can we be sure that it really is varified knowledge we've obtained?

Long time back, didn't somebody say that the earth is flat? And wasn't that also considered knowledge? Do we really know that the earth is round today, or will that knowledge we claim to have change as well? How can we be sure of knowing acutally anything at all?

What is the difference in knowing your mom and knowing how to play tennis?

"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
[  Edited by Leyla at   ]
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's easy you don't. Nothings 100% proved. But considering we've been to the moon and seen the earth from space I'd say that's sufficient evidence to say the Earth's round. But, yeah there's many things like that. The Sun revolving around the Earth. Protons moving instead of electrons. Santa Claus.

I'm not sure what you mean by knowing your mom and knowing to play tennis. Elaborate.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a photo graff of "earth" being round isnt all that convincing.. to me its better to fly around the world and make sure the plane isnt slowly circling. etc.. thats how i confirmed (to higher degree) it to myslef and it was worth it

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 37yrs • F •
Leyla is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well, if you know how to play tennis, you have the ability or the skill to play. I know how to hit the ball so it goes in the right direction, I know how to use the racket etc. That you know your mom, is a fact, can you really do know a person in general. Couldn't you be fooled and mislead the whole time. You can't "proove" your knowledge by going on the tennis court and play, you know a person, but you can't prove that you really do... *kind of yeah, hope it makes sense in some way..*

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Acctually the earth is ovular. When you mean you know tennis you still do not know everything, for instance if there is a slight wearing away of the paint and you hit the ball there. The ball may not bounce the way you want it to. We only know things to a degree.

A mother, like all people, are only going to be known as much as they allow, we never truly know another person, only the facades they use for us. As a side note we define ourselves by the facades people use, by seeing how they respond to our actions.

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • F •
Well, I would not consider that as not knowing tennis, you simply didn't know that the paint was wearing away, so you didn't know the conditions in the context of playing tennis... Another question: would you say playing tennis is only inductive reasoning or the knowledge of tennis combines the other ways of knowing - perception, emotions and language -as well?

Wouldn't you say you also define yourself through your experiences (whether with our without other humans), through the environment etc. I think it is a little exagerated to assume people have so much responsibility over how you define yourself... - ...

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Basically I agree that you do not know something completely. Every single piece of knowledge we have is shrouded by opinons we have gained thorugh our experiances. The conception of 'me' is bascially made up of our experiances, be it with ourselves or others.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Through experience the source of knowledge about such things is gained. Each time you play tennis you learn more about it. Each time you converse with your mother the more you learn about her. I think the key to learning such things is to realize that there are no ordinary moments that nothing no matter how many times practiced are fully developed. Which is why we continue to practice or question things like the Earth's shape. We continue to strive for the complete 100% perfection.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
Nature of Knowledge
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy