He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johncon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Explaining your emotions

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eyestien is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Explaining your emotions
I'm doing research on human emotions to see why we need them. Explain an emotion you had with every detail.

"I am samrt because I know I am dumb"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we are too indolent to be able to recall any emotion we have experienced in every detail. the language does not allow for it either. as to why we need emotions, they are evolutionaily developed neurotransmitter releases that prime us to flee danger, form interpersonal bonds to create communities, and all other neccesities to organismic survival.

"dont got one"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know wholly sees emotions as chemcials, and many do, but I believe in that only up to an extent. To fully believe that all of our emotions are involuntarily produced by chemicals in our brain totally eradicates any notion that personal beliefs and memories sway our emotions. Sure, the physical effects of emotions may be chemically-produced, such as shaking when someone's nervous or blushing when someone is embarrased, but the creation of those emotions comes from a source that is past the gray matter in our brains, past physical experience.
Emotions are irrational and unpredictable, just like humanity itself. They are what makes humans human. Without emotions, humans would be like machines or dumb beasts. We need them in order to live life fully and experience love.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 40yrs • M •
i dont see emotions.no one does. i just see their symptoms.

"dont got one"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so love truly is a sickness...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • M •
is euphoria a sickness?

"dont got one"
 40yrs • M •
by your logic, yep.

40yrs • M •
alright dude, youre going to have to help me out here. first, what is my logic? and second, how does it follow that love is a sickness? any help would be appreciated.

"dont got one"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Without emotions we could not exist.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 40yrs • M •
just going by what you said.

symptom - A sign or an indication of disorder or disease, especially when experienced by an individual as a change from normal function, sensation, or appearance.

so, if emotions are symptomatic, so is euphoria. and is therefore a sickness of some kind.

40yrs • M •
while the definition you have listed is not incorrect, it is but a partial definition of the word symptom. it is further defined by merriam webster as:
2a) something that indicates the existance of something else
b) a slight indication
emotions cannot be seen, as i earlier hypothesized, however, their symptoms, the behaviors that indicate their existance, can.
it is interesting how the dexterity of the english language can account fo such misunderstandings. so it goes i guess

"dont got one"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Without emotions we could not exist

We would still exist. Emotions help dictate our decision but they are not the final say. I feel that emotion is something that can be replaced with logic. For example someone pushes you. You get angry. By, just following emotion you would push back. But using logic you can choose the best route. Weather it be push back or walk away say something etc. I don't trust emotion to dictate my judgments mostly because it's chemicals affect my logical thinking. I enjoy emotion I just don't let it play a role in decision-making.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
We would still exist. Emotions help dictate our decision but they are not the final say. I feel that emotion is something that can be replaced with logic. For example someone pushes you. You get angry. By, just following emotion you would push back. But using logic you can choose the best route. Weather it be push back or walk away say something etc. I don't trust emotion to dictate my judgments mostly because it's chemicals affect my logical thinking. I enjoy emotion I just don't let it play a role in decision-making.

Without emotion I believe a human becomes something lesser.
To reject emotion is to reject the very essence of humanity.
With only logic to guide us it would be the same as a machine army following programmed directions. We would be more efficient indeed for we would have nothing to compromise our duty as a mechanical being. Without emotion there would be even less of a point of life and purpose. Nothing would matter. No fun, no interest, no desire for anything. Without desire for anything nothing could happen and we would all die. Do you understand my point of view? Im sure it may be interpreted differently but to me this most definently makes the most and only sense of having NO emotions.
Much <3

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
Explaining your emotions
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy