Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Atheists Intimidating

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Atheists Intimidating
religous theists.. scare and lower non believers self esteem.. (which can be another psycholgical reason for people to belive in god).. but point is that..religious thiests can diss non belivers scare them.. imply that if they reamain not beleving they are worth less.. etc...agree? can you counter argue this?

"no quote until i copyright it.."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I never tell people I'm an atheist. Most people believe in God, so when I do tell them they become incredibly distant from me and ask me stupid questions like "Well, if you don't believe in God, do you worship Satan?" Those kind of people are ridiculous and ignorant, and, unfortunately, there are a lot of them, so I stay quiet about my atheism unless I think I can trust someone to not completely stereotype me for it. And don't get me wrong. I never insult someone for believing in God, I just politely respect their belief and explain that the typical Christian view of God is something I do not believe in but they still act strange towards me so I keep quiet. I think this comes from the fact that I was an atheist while I attended Catholic school and if you ever said you didn't believe in God in Catholic school your ass would be severely punished and then the school would call your parents and then you'd have to deal with all that crap. I also get tons of shit from people when I say I'm anti-Bush, pro-choice, anti-death penalty and borderline feminist. It's too much to trouble myself with, so simply keeping my mouth closed works a lot.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Everyone believes in something. Believing in nothing is still something. Everyone believes the way they do for a reason. It's very common for people to become irritated and "puffed up" when you challenge their beliefs. It also common for people such as takemeseriously to stay quiet about it and be submissive when the topic is in discussion. This keeps everyone happy and keeps everything going smoothly, they have their beliefs and i have mine. If though, you are a christian or muslim or agnostic or whatever you claim, or don't claim, you have to have a reason and think that it is right.If it is right for you then couldnt it be right for others? Maybe you should speak up and let others know why. In a christian view the more people you tell about Christ the better because then they have a chance of being "saved." Maybe a person needs only to hear why you are atheist or buddhist or whatever and it will totally fit right along with things they have always thought and just needed to hear from someone else to justify it in their own mind.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Patape not to dissway you in any way, but the oddest thing about those non believers that I have met is the general christian environment? I tend to think they may be transfiring their aggression [anger] toward those calling themselves christian?
They having fail to live up to that standard set, generally not GOD related issues.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the intimidation factor swings both ways. I think atheist's play just a big role in pressuring people to think their way. For instance when I attended high school I happened to go to a catholic high school. Now this immediately to public school students described me as a bible thumper. Which was not really the case. i although believed in God I didn't believe in Catholicism.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is no such thing as aetheists. if you accept living you accept god, no not god the superiour being who sees everything and is everywhere but god is simply the guiding conscience. i feel that everyone believes in the same god regardless of your moral stance and the book you analyze.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 37yrs • M •
but shat i tend to forget to adress the original post. imagine a society without social pressure which would mean a world without stress, insecurities, and the need to step on people to walk higher. everyone would come with there own mind completely unafraid opf ridicule and belittlement which is the idea behind religion and ironically politics but becasue we have such different minds and analyze things differently the self-fulfilling agendas to "share the light" has ruined the foundation of human life. its a lose lose situation until we give up language as a right and realize languGE DOES NOT MAKE MEN GREAT ONLY GIVES THEM GREATER OPPERTUNITIES - HOBBES

40yrs • M •
True it does swing both ways.. i was just addressing this time christian aggression..

if you accept living you accept god, no not god the superiour being who sees everything and is everywhere but god is simply the guiding conscience. i feel that everyone believes in the same god regardless of your moral stance and the book you analyze.

well said

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i tell peole that im an aethiest and they don't seem to mind when i tell them, even the ones that belive in a god.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 40yrs • M •
im from canada so your not an outkast to be an "athiest' (which i dont think anyone is only athiest by definition) in all my classes i took with the topic of religion or god the teacher always speaks on the athiestic side more.. maybe 1 or two out of 40 people in each class raises their hand when asked who believes in god.. but occosianlly i do see people with crosses (chains) on their chest (saw one this week actully) so it is here.. but i guess if i were to address the other side it would be in general towards Americans.. why is America the most christian country? im not on any side really (well im on the side that believes in something like god but defintily not a christian god (although everything is related to god including that) so my thread is in raction to comments i hear on the internet which i presume are mostly american (odds with bigger opulation american websites etc..) do any of you think its a myth tho that america is th most christian country? if not why do you think it would be? pro

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
why is America the most christian country?

I would say because of fear. America is one if not the most fear-based society in the world. There is a connection.

quote:
do any of you think its a myth that america is the most christian country?

According to http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html The most Christian nations are (includes all those who claim to be Christian, 1997):
1 USA 224,457,000 85%
2 Brazil 139,000,000 93%
3 Mexico 86,120,000 99%
4 Russia 80,000,000 60%
5 China 70,000,000 5.7%
6 Germany 67,000,000 83%
7 Philippines 63,470,000 93%
8 United Kingdom 51,060,000 88%
9 Italy 47,690,000 90%
10 France 44,150,000 98%
11 Nigeria 38,180,000 45%

Note: These stats are probably biased. These stats were from an American site. I strongly believe that these stats are an overestimate (especially for the USA). After Nigeria, then India is probably 12th- as I found from a different source that about 2.3% of Indians are Christians.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
so in context we HAVE the most christians however we arent the most christian nation right?

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
religous theists.. scare and lower non believers self esteem

In terms of numbers then probably more so than atheists because it seems theists are more common. However each group does its own condescending of others. There are plenty of atheists out there who will do their best to destroy the beliefs of theists. I have more experience with nonreligious people implying that my beliefs are the hindering me and so on but I know that it happens both ways.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 51yrs • M •
andywide1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The difference b/t faith and knowledge is: if you friend hands you a pistol and says it's not loaded, you have a certain degree of faith that it's not. If your mother hands you a pistol and says it's not loaded, you have a higher degree of faith, but you still don't know for sure.

There is no such thing as an athiest, because an athiest knows for sure there is no god. Agnostics realize that Man's epistemology can't know for sure. I used to believe in Santa Claus, suckers.........

"who is John Galt?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Can an atheist get insurance against acts of God?

just kidding

"The summit is just a halfway point"
Atheists Intimidating
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy