Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Got Lent?

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
mr_hospitality is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Got Lent?
Why do Catholics not eat meat during lent? Can anyone answer this question? I recently asked a Catholic friend of mine why she practices this custom and she could not give me an answer. Is there any logical explaination for this? Why fish? Are they not God's creatures too? Anyone who could enlighten me, I would appreciate it very much.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent. Meat is allowed every other day except during certain days of Holy Week. The reason we don't eat meat on Fridays is because it was on a Friday that Jesus was killed (or at least the feast day of that occurance is on a Friday). You don't eat meat as a sign of respect for the passing of Christ. Meat is considered a good meal where fish is just a meal to get by on. It's like half-ass fasting when you eat fish instead of meat on Lenten Fridays. You are supposed to fast all-the-way an hour before all masses and from noon to 3 pm (the three hours it took Jesus to die) on Good Friday. Fish isn't considered meat for some reason even though it is an animal. Fish is also approapiate since Christ fed fish to his followers and called his disciples to be "fishers of men". Fish have been the symbol of Christ for a long time.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tracer165 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
takemeSeriously, I hope you don't take this in the wrong tone but where do you get that tradition? Its not something taught in the Bible. Catholics are the only ones that observe Lent that I know of. Wouldn't obedience to what He has commanded be better than keeping a tradition that He has not? I'm not trying to be mean or put you or the tradition down, I hope you don't take it that way. That is one problem with a posted message, one can never really be sure of the others feelings or intentions.

Got Lent?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy