If you like me, I'll relish you. If you love me, I'll treasure you. If you hurt me, I'll DESTROY you. - Evilia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Lack of spiritual men

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lack of spiritual men
A university I read about has a spiritual center with spiritual activities like meditation sessions, yoga classes, religious activities, multifaith groups etc. The director of the spiritual center reports that more women come to these activities than men.

It got me thinking. Are men less in tune with their spiritual feelings? (I doubt it, but I'd like to hear other opinions)

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes sure there are exceptions to what decius said, there's always exceptions. But, in the most part he's right usually people that are spiritual just feel they don't really need that. But, there's nothing wrong with being manly either it's just a different lifestyle.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
The reason I asked this question is because I wanted to know how to attract men to becoming more spiritual. I've got 3 brother and I would like them to be spiritual. I won't force them, but how do I show them that a spiritual lifestyle is great and something to pursue?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
By living it. If they see what you gain by living spiritually then they will also want to gain the same things. However if they see no benefits or differences then why bother?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • F •
What about on a larger scale? What if I want to attract members of a community to be more spiritual? Is it even possible to do that?

39yrs • M •
The same way. People rarely respond to anything except actions so demonstrate to everyone you meet and then they will decide wethere they want it or not.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If you see value in material things that are symbols of materialistic superiority, you don't know how to meditate and are not spiritual.

Decius: I hope you know your making a huge generalization. There are many different forms and practices of meditation, that make no connection to emphatically rejecting contemporary materialism.

Attolia: 'spirituality' is biologically natural in human minds. It is not gender-based. Thats not to say that all humans sense it, because, in order to contain 'spirituality' it firstly needs to be stimulated. Spirituality is not an essentialist realm of the mind, yet it can be important. Diverse education in theologies and/or practices of 'spirituality' would be the obvious option, if you want people to explore their spirituality. 'Spiritual' understanding should be the first approach. Appreciating 'spirituality'- the second approach; can be the difficult and rather a lengthy process. However it shouldn't be forced.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
[  Edited by summit at   ]
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Meditation and spirituality do not have to be wedded with a sober lifestyle. The Beat Generation(who were mostly men) drank beer and used concentrated substances and were intensely spiritual. Drugs are used by hundreds of tribes to attain spiritual enlightenment and meditate. Drugs have helped play an important role in spirituality in the past and present.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 39yrs • M •
The concept of drug induced meditation is ridiculous. Obviously people think they experience spirituality when intoxicated or high. Real meditation should come from the actual spiritual realm not so cheap substitute.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, etherealmeekle, that is debatable. I've read lots of accounts of people achieveing increased spiritual awareness through both mediums of drug-induced and sober meditation. What's your argument to support your opinion? Also, what's the different between "real" meditation and fake, "cheap" meditation?

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The question of drugs aiding or reducing spirituality needs some consideration. Drugs are very peculiar things. Let us seperate natural drugs from created drugs, or organic drugs from inorganic drugs. I will not discuss inorganic drugs for I believe they are just materials creating delusions. However, there is a fuzzy line on organic drugs. Some foodstuffs like cumcumber, almonds, wheatgrass or roses have naturally high energy levels which heighten our sense perceptions. Others such as McDonalds etc, nullify them. Some drugs such as marijuana do have properties that allow one to see things which they dont normally see. Don't kid yourself this is illusional...a lot of great 'masterpieces' were created under the influence of dugs. Some drugs do do harm ong-term but let it be known the starting point is with the stability of the person, the state of their mind, and to some extent their helathiness. In small doses I can see that some drugs will be beneficial to some people who wish to discover more, in much the same way as astronauts venture into the unknown for discovery. Your perception of what is natural is only conditioned by that by which your are comfortable with. Someone, somewhere, must become a placebo. There are far too many specifics to generalise...and only the taker truly knows if they are ready and if they truly are,...the sensations can be accepted rather than feared.

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
ignoring all of the posts on drug-induced spirituality..not that they dont have merit, just no importance to me and what i have to say...

i think that most people who have a tendency to be spiritual dont need help being that and do so individually

as to why men may or may not tend to be spiritual, (this is hard to objectively say/think about, being a male) the masculine image is not a spiritual, but rather an individual one, and although the two dont necessarily contradict each other and im sure a person could easily be both, there is a distinction. Also, could you elaborate on what u mean by spiritual?(ex..religous, philosophical, thoughtful, meditative....)

Lack of spiritual men
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy