Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Love - Page 3

User Thread
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is non-dualism: one thing, nothing outside of it, nothing separate or distinguishable within it.

Our seeming dualistic existence here therefore precludes love.

42yrs • F •
quote:
Love is non-dualism: one thing, nothing outside of it, nothing separate or distinguishable within it.

Our seeming dualistic existence here therefore precludes love.

Could you elaborate on this - your definition is interesting but I would like to understand your perspective more. When you say 'nothing outside of it' - what does that mean to you?

And can you illustrate an example of 'dualistic existence'?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 56yrs • F •
This world where we seem to exist is dualistic, in that things are separate and distinguishable. An example would be separate bodies. "This is me. That is you." And of course, "you" are outside of "me".

Does that help at all?

42yrs • F •
Yes, it does. So if love is not dualist then the only way to attain it is through the realization that although we, and everything surrounding us, may appear dualistic that we are not actually separate from the things we percieve as being separate - correct?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 56yrs • F •
I would disagree with your statement.

Most people/religions/philosophies want to combine dualism with non-dualism, so that they can continue to believe that this existence is real. I am suggesting that the two "states" are mutually exclusive and only one is real.

So it is not a matter of realizing that we are not separate from things around us. It is a matter of realizing what we truly are. And I would suggest that the realization of what we truly are has nothing whatsoever to do with what we seem to be here in this dualistic existence.

42yrs • F •
So if we truly are separate non-dualistic entities - then do you mean to say that realising that we are truly separate is attaining love given 'Love is non-dualism'?

56yrs • F •
No, we are not separate non-dualistic entities. There is no separation in non-dualism... there are no separate things, no you and me... there is only one thing.

And yes, I suppose that "realizing" that we are that one non-dualistic thing would be "attaining" love, though I clearly have not realized it yet. I still think I'm here along with 7 billion other confused people.

But I believe it is a process of removal, rather than a positive act of realizing or attaining. It is by removing belief in everything that we are not, that we know what we truly are.

58yrs • M •
Satyr is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ah...love, love....the quintessential modern pastime.

Love?
An evolutionary product produced to deal with the already existing fight/flight mechanism.

An emotion, a sensation, found amongst social organisms or those dependent upon heterosexual reproduction; a form of chemical inebriation, compared to getting "drunk" or a state of madness.

Ah, yes, love.
What lust turns into to facilitate more complex survival strategies involving the reeling of larger brained organisms dependent upon longer weening periods.

A social glue; a way of making the organism tolerate proximity and intrusion.

"Live Lightly"
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is not an emotion. It is an act. It is doing something for the benefit of another without concern for the cost to one's self.

Anything else is just attachment, romance, or religion.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that andrula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love can be defined in different contexts. I believe love is an emotion, though to receive the strong emotion from one, love must be shown through actions. We all love in some capacity whether it is you, work, partner, family, pet, hobby etc. These all have actions to show that you love that particular thing, though again you need the emotion attached to keep going. I love my family unconditionally and that won’t change, whereas I love my job at the moment though a change in management might influence my attitude and love for the job - and yes it will reflect through my actions & emotions.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do business--not love.

Love - Page 3
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy