Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Perpetual Motion?

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
Taz1144 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Perpetual Motion?
Is it possible? We have made perpetual motion mobiles and things, but can we create a perpetual motion machine? The reason a perpetual motion mobile can't create energy, is because it takes as much as it gives. Meaning, it cannot power anything. But, the second theory is to create energy from nothing, or change heat into a total different form of enegry. I have had thoughts on this since I was 10, but I never really thought on it till now. But to change heat into a total different form of energy defies the Second Law of Thermodynamics. What if the Second Law is wrong? Is perpetual motion possible? Just wondering if any of you have any input.

"And you. I wish I didn't feel for you anymore."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
they laws of thermodynamics are retarded... dont believe them

33yrs • M •
Taz1144 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
And why do you think this?

35yrs • M •
if you restrict yourself to rules such as those, humanity will be stuck to that idea... suppose if you didnt think like that, you find a way to create pure energy from nothing.... now if you followed the laws, you wouldn't have ever invented that.

newtons laws are the only laws that are solid.

33yrs • M •
Ah, yes. I see what you mean. Good thought. It's like being narrowminded...and such. So yeah...I understand.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
u can turn heat into other forms of energy, its just not very efficient. thats what coal burning power stations do, they heat up water, and the steam turns the turbine which produce electricity through a dynamo. but like i said its innefficient, what happens is that the water is heated, so it is not just turned into kinetic energy.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
perpetual motion is for all intents and purposes impossible because of one thing: Friction. Perpetual motion can only happen if no energy is lost from the machine ever. and that's what friction prevents.

"He who does not question is lost."
 35yrs • M •
thats true about the friction, however in no way is it impossible... ever hear of a vacum?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes, but you still have to add energy to keep the object floating, otherwise it will have to touch something, and you will get friction.

"He who does not question is lost."
Perpetual Motion?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy