Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but in the end the man who wins is the man who thinks he can. - Ambition
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

People

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People
A crude belief.
This is rather 'in the box'. But its biased towards this room being philosophical rather than a sports or science chatroom, etc.
If I had to choose people to be in the company of this is how I would choose based on rank:

1 = first; 4 = last.

1. Optimistic and intelligent
2. Opsimistic and stupid
3. Pessimistic and intelligent
4. Pessimistic and stupid

Comments......

""No words""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1. Optimistic and Intelligent
2. Pessimistic and Intelligent
3. Pessimistic and Ignorant
4. Optimistic and Ignorant

"stupid" people dont exactly exsist. at least, its more likely for you to come across ignorant people than stupid people. best way to go is to stick with intelligent people. perhaps they have very good reasoning behind their pessimism.

if somebody is ignorant it makes sense for them to be pessimistic. optimistic ignorant people are simply irritating and make no sense.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
idealy, im with wyote... but it really doesnt matter... if you think like that you are what you hate heyjme1 "4. Pessimistic and stupid"

41yrs • M •
ha ha...

Most pyschologists now believe intelliegence is both natural and hereditry, but the consesnsus is genes account for at least 50 per cent of the variance in IQ.

But like Einstein once said: one should not make the intellect their God; it has powerful muscles but no personality.

Ignorance is really something which I believe is an environmental effect although the individual must bare the responsibility. There are plenty of people who pride their ignorance of course. But, also, is not stupidity a cause of ignorance? think this through.

As a concluding note:

I hate those who are prejudiced
I hate those who are biased
I hate those who are fanatics
I hate those who are extremest
I am prejudiced against the prejudiced
I am biased against the biased
I am fanatical against the fanatic
I am extreme against the extremest
I am What I Hate

There lies a beautiful irony somewhere here.

the outcome maybe pessimistic but often its optimism that derives the outcome. Optimism multiplies forces.

On the other hand:

The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum. Ellis.

Just random thoughts: want to see reactions first.

""No words""
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That s hilarious, most of us are exactly what we hate, in part that's what makes us hate people even more....

For me it goes a bit like this:
1. Pessimistic and intelligent
2. Optimistic and intelligent
3. Opsimistic and stupid
4. Pessimistic and stupid

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Methuzula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"He who prescribes the diameter of your knowledge prescribes the circumference of your activity."

The ignorant have not the faculties to appreciate the thoughts and actions of the intelligent unless they are translated into a language the ignorant comprehends.

Because the language of the ignorant is so limited there is a limit to the range of joint activities the ignorant and intelligent can productivly engage in.

I was taught to associate with my equals and betters. People have an effect on you even if it is just by taking up your time they have an effect.

Association with those of low character and behavior it is rare that you will ever raise them to your level. You can't even hold it against them, and you shouldn't associate with them, but many do so the relationships are tradgedies.

The English concern themselves with one's "breeding" or "pedigree" which is always reflected in our mastery of etiquete and decorum and diplomacy. Unfortunately most families don't concern their children with an education in such matters.

Why pretend to be equal with someone who can function in your "world" but you cannot do the same in theirs?

True intellectual brilliance often has an appropriate degree of humility as well.

"You are affected by 3 generations and you affect 3 generations, and every third generation a major change takes place in the family."
 35yrs • M •
i agree with meth on that one, as much as you want to say it we are not all equal.

however, i do disagree with the following statement

"Association with those of low character and behavior it is rare that you will ever raise them to your level. You can't even hold it against them, and you shouldn't associate with them, but many do so the relationships are tradgedies."

it is with the ignorant that power comes. how do you persuade the intelligent, you cant they think they already know the answer. it is following that concept that all leaders have come to power. associate yourself with the ignorant, destroy the intelligent. in doing this, you keep letting yourself you are intelligent, and you never get molded by their actions, because you are constantly telling yourself "i made them"

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Intelligence does not always get you power, money does. And Ignorant people with money seem to always rise to power faster than intelligent....example Dear Old Bush..The president of today or is that tomorrow maybe it was yesterday .

41yrs • M •
People are stupid but an individual is clever. People and individuals are born with a blank mind at birth and the impressions they get; their eductaion is imprinted from that point onwards-nurture if you will.

As regards nature their are simplistic things which allow us to evaluate the level of natural ability. Music, art, ability to make thimgs etc, are all signs of itelligence.

Society is hierachial however you wish to say it is not; you cannot be blinded by truth. You can help change it but it will bite back if you poke too hard.

Now on a factual basis; there are people who just understand; people you will understand when pushed and people who just won't understand.

I know plenty of people who believe themselves to be intelligent but that is more a prodcut of their education and the way that eductaion fits in with people who are intelligent for it is them that have taught them this way. Get them to think outside of this box though and its like putting a 20 stone bloke on ice with butter on his feet.

Likewise I know plenty of poorly educated people which, though they may not communicate better, are surprisingly very bright. This talent is thus born.

Note the difference therefore between articulate and intelligent.

As a question just sprung out: if (note the word if) you hold the belief that people are solely a function of environments and nature then why praise or criticise anyone? For you are then just doing so relative to some pre-determined kind of fate?

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
neutered, we're talking about different kinds of power =)

but yeah bushy boy did get his power from money and dear old pa.

38yrs • F •
I was not talking about the fact that he has gained power by money but the fact that he's Ignorant and in power...

You stated before that:

it is with the ignorant that power comes. how do you persuade the intelligent, you cant they think they already know the answer. it is following that concept that all leaders have come to power. associate yourself with the ignorant, destroy the intelligent.

People
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy