Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

KILLING OK?

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
KILLING OK?
SUPPOSE THERE IS A GOD. HE COMMANDS NOT TO KILL,STEAL,COMMIT ADULTRY ETC. AND HE SAYS GIVING, HONESTY, ETC. IS GOOD. SO BECAUSE THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR SAYS THE RULES, THAT'S WHAT WE BASE OUR VIRTUES ON. BUT THEN WHAT IF ONE DAY HE DECIDED TO SWITCH THESE COMMANDMENTS AROUND. DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD NOW LIVE BY THESE NEW SET OF RULES, AND RISK DEFYING THEIR CREATOR AND SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES?

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that the awful noise is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dont think the rules are gunna change
and if they do how will we find out? will we all be sent an informative email?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
HOW DID WE AQUIRE THE SET OF COMMANDMENTS WE HAVE NOW?

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Methuzula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The (many more than) ten commandments are near exact copies of what is known as the "Negative Confessions" of an Egyptian scholar. Google it.

The Hebrews left Egypt in a mass of thousands. They arrived in Egypt less than a hundred strong. The entire concept of a "God of Light and Truth" came from the Egyptians and was adopted by the Hebrews.

A few days after leaving Egypt the Hebrews were presented with a fully developed religous organization, something they did not have before arriving in Egypt. They simply changed a few names.

"You are affected by 3 generations and you affect 3 generations, and every third generation a major change takes place in the family."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And there is even more that dates before Egyptians that they got theirs from.

But I don't think any of that was the point of his question which no one has bothered to answer.

Which is also unfortuante because its a good question, but interesting to see such a reaction.

I've heard people mention a theory of hard wiring that actually makes us want and need to not kill. That causes mental disorders and severe trauma from killing or even witnessing death, especially violent death.

However, its also obvious that many people kill. And when pushed emotionally or threatened physically can kill.

Personally, with the general resistance to even minor change, I think many would resist from that alone, but because of many other factors as well.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God has no control on anything. In some way it is rather unfortunate that we have complete control regardless of 'changing the rules'. Just look at present day events ie- Bush killing people.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Methuzula,
quote:
The (many more than) ten commandments are near exact copies of what is known as the "Negative Confessions" of an Egyptian scholar

The first 5 commandments are:
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall make no idols to worship.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. Keep the Sabbath.
5. Honor your mother and father

Not in your list.

Besides that is a list of confessions. Not a Holy law set by the true God.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that the 10 Commandments are from God, inspired through Moses after they left Egypt.

But to answer his question, I think that people will have to make changes is god makes changes, i mean, he created us, therefore he knows whats best for us and if we really did believe in god and live him, then we will too. but i don't think that he will make changes that will go against what he originally set.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 52yrs • M •
No really! They co-optd the religion of the ruling nation of the land which promoted it's culture all over Africa during their 4000 year stay. Yes God wrote it, but His identity origin and creation myth are found more originally in the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

The same creation myth is found repeated with only slight variations throughout the ancient religons of the tribes of the African continent pre-dating Abraham Moses and Jesus by thousands and thousands of years.

But let's talk of killing.

It is confusion to consider Him (only) a benevolent and merciful watching Father. Lets consider other aspects to the nature of His Divinity. How was He able to plant a tree of the knowledge of <both> good ((and)) evil in a Garden of Eden?

It's His tree, it's His garden. He owns and created it all. How can He be the producer and creator of a tree of such evil? Where did He get it from? Is it also drawn from within the mind of God? His design? Is it also generated from the substance of His infinite being, and called forth by His will, by His command; which the substance and essence of all things cannot resist: "Be and it is!"

In His history as the Hebrew national God he was known to have ordered the decimation of entire villages where it was orderd "leave nothing alive dont even take any of their women as wives or their oxen."

He also declared that He has propped up nations specifically to persecute His so called "chosen" people.

Christianity raised the "stakes" and said we can all choose to be His chosen people and prepare to be holocaust at the end of this wicked world's rule and reduced in number to only 144,000 survivors. But before this terrible day global events will bring the price of bread to about 10 pounds of gold.

It is written that the blood will run "...up to the horse's bridle." That's alot of sanctioned blood-letting to establish His kingdom (hereafter) on Earth.

Well at least there seems to be some balancing going on, and we're all at terrible risk, it would seem

It would also appear that there are "exceptions" to the "Law" as it is written, and right and wrong flip and flop and ocilate up down back and forth like a bi-polar manic depressive's emotional massive psychological decomposition!

Honestly, with all due respect, the Bible-History of the "chosen" of God reads like a video camera on a multiple-personality skitzophrentic dressing in the mirror, talking to themseves, when none of them knows your watching!

Seriously the only right and wrong seem to be as defined by the active and passive expressed will of God.

So the rules, actually the un-written rules, should read:

1. Follow the will of God.
2. Commandments 1 thru 10.
3. For all exceptions to the above see rule #1.

Oh, I almost forgot:
Thinking without research is something else too, it's theorizing.
Let's not allow emotions to turn this into a defense of God post. I think it's an excellent Thread questioning our civilizations moral and ethical codes at its core, its foundation even its inception. Bravo! Hope you enjoy my thoughts...

"You are affected by 3 generations and you affect 3 generations, and every third generation a major change takes place in the family."
[  Edited by Methuzula at   ]
 48yrs • M •
I think the basis of what you are asking boils down to one question:

If God gives us a free will, what does it mean to you?

Methuzula you answer that question and I will attempt an answer to the rest of you questions.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thetres still our instincts so laws against it will still be enforced around.. howver i guess the 'immoral' instint has and probly can take over but im sure the opposite trend would always pop around unless our genes were changed..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 52yrs • M •
Free Will

No one "possesses" a freedom. Freedom implies the uninhibited exercise of one's options. The only thing stopping the robbing of the banks are the possible consequences, which isn't really stopping it is it?

Self preservation seems to control us in such a way we limit the exercise of our freedom ourselves. In the presence of powerful realities like Nature, freedom is inhibited.

Buddhism's 8-Fold Path, are guidelines to ending suffering of all kinds. Here increased controls promise to bring the practicioner to higher levels of freedom, (spiritualy).

In contrast the most barbaric are still among us as in Mexico and Columbia where sections of their population have rested democratic life from the people using Cartels and Mafia's controlling politics and life in general for the people.

I say that for as much freedom there exists equal opposite controls.

The only one's possibly expressing free will may be the pathological or psychopathic who seem desesnitized to things that would normally inhibit a sane persons actions.

God may be crazy.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that syrcadalena is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To me, it's obvious that hurting and killing is wrong. I see people hurt, and I feel their pain with them. I feel inside myself that to cause another purposeful injury is wrong. Sure, it's arguable that in cases of revenge or spur-of-the-moment or whatever is less wrong, but still, there's no denying (at least in my mind) that hurting and killing is wrong.

I don't believe this because some list of commandments my parents told me to read stated this. I believe it because I feel it inside me, because I don't like seeing others in pain. If you're only refusing to kill because the commandments tell you not to... I dunno, that sounds pretty bad too. If the only thing stopping you from killing is the word of a god that has not 'shown himself' in thousands of years, there's something wrong with you. Killing is wrong because it hurts people, not because some supposed almighty being said so.

"For each time mankind progresses, man himself regresses."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Regardless of killing being wrong, majority of die hard religious fanatics will abide and kill if God wants it. I mean, look around you, people are killing all over in the name of religion

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 48yrs • M •
'Freedom' and 'free will' are 2 different things!

KILLING OK?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy