The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Universal consiousness

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Universal consiousness
I just wonder sometimes that maybe more exists than just physical properties in our current conception of things. When I see two bodies interacting; and not just two bodies but take the example of a river. I remember sitting one day by a stream and seeing a leaf within it. The leaf tumbled through the water in a predictable manner to which I was sure there was a mathematical model taht fit it; though beyond my capabilities to suggest all the forces. But I could sense how the resistant, kinetic and potential forces created this shape within it so to provide some function which I tried to seek. What was law were these forces combining to give? What was there ultimate aim? I'm still thinking.

Anyway this kind of example is all around; we have the ability to force things together and so we are players within this. Is it possible that everything is somehow tuned to one another but say with more or less frequency? Some rock climbers suggest occassionally they sense a felling of mergence with the rocks...like they are one with them.

Is the mind somehow seperate from the matter of our brains? do all bodies contain elements of consiousness? Are there other forces that are beyond our 5 senses to detect? Is there a reality out there which is all around but to which we are completely blind?

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I strongly believe in the fact that everything consists of energy the stream the leaf although different are one in the same the body is a spectrum which is different from the soul
The soul allows one to interact with the other energy spectrums not possible through physical energy...does this make snense

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes, maybe there are properties of matter that aren't fully confined by the laws of physics, but we cannot perceive these. Maybe there isn't a universal law that allowed that leaf to flow. Was there an aim?

quote:
Is it possible that everything is somehow tuned to one another but say with more or less frequency?

interesting. Yes I think it is possible. The natural biophysical world is part of one big interelationship. Everything eventually affects each other as they interact on certain levels. This interaction forms a natural equilibrium.

quote:
Some rock climbers suggest occassionally they sense a feeling of mergence with the rocks...like they are one with them

Oh yes this is definately true. A lot of endurance sportspeople experience this connection to the 'elements'. I'm a rock climber myself and I sense this. I'm also a long distance runner, and so when I have been running for say 15km or more I have very strong connections with the external surroundings- what I receive is called runners-high (a natural high where you are one with nature- it happens rarely yet its still very real).

quote:
Is the mind somehow seperate from the matter of our brains? do all bodies contain elements of consiousnes

The 'mind' is part of our brains. The 'mind' is matter in the form of electrochemical energy that is generated from the brain (so I believe). Not all bodies contain the consiousness trait, yet human beings do (this is what makes us unique from other organisms).

quote:
Are there other forces that are beyond our 5 senses to detect?

In terms of having a human capable of detecting forces beyond our 5 general senses is impossible. It is a myth that humans may have a 6th sense. However the shark has a 6th sense; it can detect electric fields from surrounding organisms to get food. Yes I definately believe that there are other forces beyond our 5 senses. I think that biological life has evolved and adapted to the forces that exist on earth, however it seems reasonable to suggest that other forces do actually exist externally from earth (ie, in space).

quote:
Is there a reality out there which is all around but to which we are completely blind?

Yes I do believe that 'ultimate reality' cannot be found and perceived by humans. We are simply not advanced enough to discover universal reality. Our reality only exists in the mind.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 38yrs • M •
And all reality is relative

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
And all reality is relative

What is reality relative to? If there is no universal reality then there can be no comparison.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think summit mean that reality is relative to an individual's perception of reality, basically saying that reality is subjective.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 39yrs • M •
But how can something be relative to something that doesn't even exist?

quote:
Yes I do believe that 'ultimate reality' cannot be found and perceived by humans.

But that only applies to your limited individual truth

[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 38yrs • M •
Ethereal: I've already said this before. Relative means-dependent on or interconnected with something else; not absolute. Reality is relative to other individual truths. I'll explain this:
Basically, there is no one truth, there are many. Your individual absolute is part of this 'many'. Meaning and value of human beliefs and behaviors have no universal absolute reference to truth. Truths in the human sense are ever-changing. It is always dynamic depending upon one's knowledge and growth. Truth being socially and contextually specific means that the way we perceive the world, together with our knowledge is socially, culturally, and historically embedded. The way we view the world depends on our social perceptions of truth. Human social diversity concedes different values, moral systems and thinking systems. Context of an individual or community shapes their values. If there was universal truth then there would certainly be only one rational course of action open to us. As I said before whatever beliefs we hold they are provisional.

Ethereal it would be more worthwhile, if you don't understand relativism, that you read into it before you question or challenge relativism. Note: reality, truth, etc...blah blah blah, topics have already been addressed in several other threads before.

39yrs • M •
If there is no one truth then reading books to prove that there is no truth is rather a waste of time. Why do we spend so much time in school when we should really just be making up our own truths?

38yrs • M •
You really don't get it. Relativism never claims itself as universal. It is a theory. Theories aren't answers, they are simply reasons. Whatever beliefs we hold they are provisional. Don't waste your time trying to challenge and question anything if you can't listen to other opinions and to understand relativism.

quote:
Why do we spend so much time in school when we should really just be making up our own truths?

If there was universal truth then there would certainly be only one rational course of action open to us. The way we view the world depends on our social/knowledge perceptions. Knowledge allows you to either accept or question. School doesn't refuse opinions.

39yrs • M •
quote:
Relativism never claims itself as universal

But you say that all reality is relative. And since you do not believe in universal truth you must accpet that not all reality is relative.

38yrs • M •
quote:
But you say that all reality is relative. And since you do not believe in universal truth you must accpet that not all reality is relative

no no no. you don't get it! Whatever beliefs we hold they are provisional. Your belief in 'universal absolutes' is your individual truth, in other words- your opinion. will you ever get it!

39yrs • M •
So in otherwords you will admit that not all things are relative

38yrs • M •
all things are relative! I told you to read into relativism, to understand it. You obviously haven't done that, and now your making a fool of yourself.

39yrs • M •
Prove to me how "all things are relative" is not a universal statement.

Universal consiousness
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy