Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A wrong reason to go to church?

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this may sound funny, but i started going to church for a simple reason, and i think most guys would agree, a gurl.. but not just any gurl, the pastor's doughter. To start i was not much of an organized religon guy, nor is my family. Everything i need to know i get from Plato. Well i started gettin' into the church idea when i was around this gurl. I started to think about God and Jesus alot, and of course the gurl. Well we ended up goin our diff. ways (brake up) and i stop goin to that church, for obvious reasons (dad).

heres my question, Even though i went to church for the wrong reasons, i learned quite a bit about christainity, and i actually started believing in a higher power... but since it was wrong to go there in the first place, does that mean i am goin to hell... lol did not mean it to come up that way, but it did...
ANY FEED BACK = GOOD

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
perhaps what you saw in this girl was a little bit of God, and thus you became curious because of the reflection she cast on Him. going because of a girl isnt wrong, i started volunteer work because of a guy, it doesnt mean that God won't use it.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
General 'rule' of the Christian 'thought process' :
Christians have error which through Christ, they exist in God's Will . . . that via their own willfulness, they shall come to [accept] the Truth.
Sounds like your right on track?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that kellyt23341 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think you can have a wonderful relationship with God and not go to church--i do beleive you need the fellowship in church--maybe you went for the wrong reason but you are realizing you actually got somthing out of the deal--Just be thankful you can recognize that maybe you were selfish at first but you are now seeing the better end of the spectrum--Good luck!!

"If paybacks a bitch and revenge is sweet--Im the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you did go originally for the wrong reason. but after you had started going, and thinking about god when you were there, rather than just the girl, then you are going to church for the right reason.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The reason you went to church seems as good as any other

Ps ....dont take this literally

""No words""
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that's what we call multi-tasking.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
wow a girl admitting that a man can multi task. i might faint. lol

but i do agree with you.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LOL - Cynic al, you said it!

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If there is a God and the Bible is right and all that God has a plan stuff is true. Then you were meant to go there, and sometimes God has to use interesting ways of getting people to find him/her (whole other topic) . Anyways I know too many people that go to church with the right intentions but get the wrong thing out of it. It's the end not the means.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The church just tries to control people by saying it is wrong for people to go to church for social reasons. I believe church is a waste of time just sitting in the pew listening to one man speak his philosophy while meanwhile no one talks or is personal with anyone. People use pondering philosophy just to get out of ethics because people find it sometimes hard to relate to other people because that steals from their independence. So the church will say things like you should go the church for the right reasons which they mean their abstract sermons. It is a form of brain washing.

64yrs • M •
Rodin is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
A wrong reason to go to church.....

All of the above! And more besides

47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Rodin what do you get out of someone's sermon since all the churches I have ever visited preached only one perspective, and made it the only true perspective, and said all other perspectives were wrong. There is no objective truth since a perspective can be stated, and there is always some fact that will prove the perspective sometimes true and sometimes false based on the situation. So there is no such thing as any objective truth which is what churches always try to preach.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Church was founded on wrong reasons.

You are just following in their footprints.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CooJaye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You didn't go to church for the wrong reasons. A lot of people find themselves there for many reasons. Whatever your reasons are for getting there I'm sure won't be the reason you go to heaven/hell.

If you liked going to church and want to learn more, then visit another church. There are a lot of good people that go to church, some not so good people that put on a face at church and are someone completely different at home. but if it's something you are interested in learning more about, give it a shot. I'm pretty sure you won't go to hell for it and nobody will see it as a bad thing, not those that are real christians at least.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy