Don't hate me because I'm pretty, hate me because your boyfriend thinks I am. - countalucard
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Death Penalty - Page 3

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exactally right Cync-Al, and as much as some people might not like to hear it, we could learn a thing or two from France.

"He who does not question is lost."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the british would like that idea even less but the same is still true.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fnckOff is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you guys have made some good points. but. and you all knew i'd have a but, yes there will be less problems with underage drinking if there are less people that are underage.

"I'd rather be superstitious about jumping jacks than superstitious that I needed to be drunk to do what I needed to do, or that I needed to have a specific pair of underwear on - jumping jacks, you don't need anything. - Gerard Way"
 35yrs • M •
That's what i'm saying, if you lower the legal drinking age, then underage drinking will go down becasue the thrill of breaking the law wont be as great, becasue by the time kids want to try drinking it'll be legal already.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think If some one commited a crime to where it was nessessary to give them the death penalty [like killing another person] It would only be fair to take away his priviledge to live as well.. and not by that pansy injection either.. That person deserves to suffer just as much as their victim did.

Plus i find it quite funny cause of the look in their eyes... If you do ever get the chance take a good look maybe its just me

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
I think If some one commited a crime to where it was nessessary to give them the death penalty [like killing another person] It would only be fair to take away his priviledge to live as well..

We used to hang people for stealing horses, but we gave up on that idea, and today, i'm sure that nobody agrees with that practice anymore. killing someone becasue they commited murder is the same as killing someone because they stole a horse,it's still killing someone as punishment. It's cruel, it's unusual, and it's wrong.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
being hung for murder, or for stealing a horse are completely different things in everyones justice but god's. murder is a much more serious crime than theft, i think that it is almost accpetable to execute people for murder than the theft of a horse.

Though execution should only be used when there is no chance of redemption, or if there is no way that they will at least see the error in what they have done.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Punishment must be cruel and unusual so as to make it so repulsive that people do not want to be in that situation. If you were doing something and you knew getting caught would mean a death sentence would you really have more fun doing it? If so then you deserve what's coming and we're one step close to a better world.
And St. Jimmy I know a guy who used to make a game of parking in the most illegal ways like on the side walk or taking up four spaces at once and he only did it because he knew he could get away with.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
Punishment must be cruel and unusual so as to make it so repulsive that people do not want to be in that situation.

Torture is cruel and unusual, but I think you and I would agree that torture is wrong. Look at what happened in abuGhraib. I don't recall anyone waying "we need to torture these people so that others won't try doing the same things."

The death penalty is just another form of ritual murder, but I don't see anyone agreeing woth those weird cults that practice ritual killings.
The way to keep people in line is not to make them scared of the law. The way to make a society behaive is to make them want to behaive, and the death penalty is just another way of making people fear their own government.

39yrs • M •
Spanking a child in public is considered cruel and unusual because it causes the child to be humiliated. What is wrong with a little humiliation after commit an offence? Maybe we shouldn't put rapists in jail because they might get humiliated.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fnckOff is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
haha I have been raped. didnt keep quiet. That was enough humiliation for the person. though I felt horrible, because he was possessed in a way at the time, and figured out after telling and i felt horrible. now im engaged to the guy and we've never had problems. But anyways, i lke that point. I should have used that in debate last year!

"I'd rather be superstitious about jumping jacks than superstitious that I needed to be drunk to do what I needed to do, or that I needed to have a specific pair of underwear on - jumping jacks, you don't need anything. - Gerard Way"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
Spanking a child in public is considered cruel and unusual because it causes the child to be humiliated. What is wrong with a little humiliation after commit an offence?

Have you forgotten what actually happened at abu ghraib??

if so, a breif reminder:

1. Punching, slapping, and kicking detainees; jumping on their naked feet;

2. Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees;

3. Threatening detainees with a charged 9mm pistol;

4. Beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair;

5. Allowing a military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his cell;

There's more, too.
http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/prison/abu-ghraib/

or, if you need photographic evidence,
http://www.antiwar.com/news/?articleid=2444

It seems to me that mutilation, and beating constitute more than "humiliation", but it seems to me that you think that torture is "okay as long as it doesn't happen to me."
There's nothing wrong with humiliation as punishment, but our prisions already humiliate their inmates, and there's a fine line between humiliation and torture, and there is no reason good enough to torture someone. And furthermore, torture doesn't just affect the person being tortured. Imagine for a moment you are beating an inmate who can't fight back. that would bother you wouldn't it?

Torture has never been affective. ever.

39yrs • M •
Define torture. Cruel and unusual is not limited to torture there are lots of other unseal or cruel methods of punishing people. If a punishment is not cruel then it has no purpose and if it is not unusual then it will be forgotten.

35yrs • M •
Torture: the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as an expression of cruelty, a means of intimidation, deterrent or punishment, or as a tool for the extraction of information or confessions.

39yrs • M •
quote:
Torture: the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as an expression of cruelty, a means of intimidation, deterrent or punishment, or as a tool for the extraction of information or confessions

By this definition we should not allow people to be punished at all. So based on this I would say torture is permissible as long as it is administered in a just manner like after a proper trial hass conducted

Death Penalty - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy