There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

voyeurism

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
voyeurism
Why does the media like to batter us with continuous depictions of violence and why do we watch it is there some kind of psychological voyeurism about the whole thing

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmmm... I haven't thought too much about it, but maybe we all, as beings that hunger for knowledge, are looking for understanding of why those viewed actions take place?
Maybe those voyeur-views we are most attracted to are topics that are not readily discussed between people, or simply not discussed to the point of an adequate understanding.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Why does the media like to batter us with continuous depictions of violence and why do we watch it
Hmm . . . which media are you discussing? the news or motion picture (entertainment)

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In high-school when you heard "fight fight" did you run to see it or did you run to tell an administrator to stop it?

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't like to watch that stuff, but when I was younger I dd. I believe that when I was younger I was curious, now that I have experienced it, I don't much care for it.

Why would we be curious about violence? That is a good question.

I don't believe it is healthy that the media keeps throwing this at us, but, it is only profitable to do so because we enjoy it.

I would be curious if anyone has ideas.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
Ya, OkCiiy; I look at the cartoon attics & wnoder 'does the autistic child destructive action stem from his expressed anger or does he see this as being funny on TV & is mistified by our reaction to his doing likewise?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To keep the people in fear and trembling. The more fear we have the more taxes we are willing to give for things like police officers, military and health care.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 72yrs • M •
Ah, yes. feelings of isolation & dependency upon Big Brother's watchful eyes. We really need more of these things for our existence.

38yrs • M •
Jon Stewart made a great point about the media. They always have something scaring us. It kind of goes along with what you guys were saying. He was talking about how after the 911 attacks we were on terrorist alert, so much that we even had an effing color meter, did anyone not think that was the most ridiculous thing ever? Then it was SARS then something else, now it's hurricane's and natural disasters, the aviary flu... When what we should really be worried about is our own lives and what is happening to this country. Terror alert: Fuschia.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It has always amazed me how almost always people go crashing threw a window and get up without a scratch. In the real world they'd have to take them to the hospital before they bleed to death.

Have you ever seen anyone really get beat up, and these people on TV don't even get a bruise.

How about shooting somebody dead and then you just go on don't think nothing of it.

What a bunch of crap. So ofcourse a 6 yo grabs his dads gun and shoots his 15 year old sister for calling him a name and doesn't understand that she will never get up again.

It's okay for some kid to see someone get killed on TV 2 or three times a day, God help us if they should see someone naked.

So we should be ashamed of our bodies thats why killing isn't so bad - is that what we're saying.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think that maybe our culture considers sex to be more taboo than murder because:
a. What City said...we are often ashamed about our bodies and have been taught since we were little to be that way.
b. Sexual imagery generates a stronger reaction in us than killing because we need to have sex more than we need to stop killing...murder means that there was someone to commit the murder and therefore someone to perpetuate the race.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
because it sells

"dont got one"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
The more fear we have the more taxes we are willing to give for things like police officers, military and .health care
Ya they want to decrease medicare so we can pay for their war? Likewise the response to Katrina shows more concern for property than the lives affected.

38yrs • M •
America would rather keep sex off of tv and on the internet and pay per view movies keeping it one of the highest selling industries in the country and giving teenage girls a great place to throw their lives away..

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Likewise the response to Katrina

THE RESPONSE, or the media's response, minus the real or not response of Heraldo in referrence to those TRAPPED in the Super Dome, "let them go!"...

Certainly the media responded on property, and evil looters (especially if they were of color, as Carlos Mencia so blantantly pointed out), but there was more, like reports of local law enforcement actually having to work, if not fight, against FEMA, who was acutally sabotaging relief efforts.

On another subject broached in this thread, working with the video game industry, so to speak, I've recently been re-subjected to the curious mentality of those who fear sexuality over violence.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was contraversial but ok, untill a code was discovered depicting vivid sexual acts by fully clothed animated, pixellated, representations of humans. Not even as clearly and explicity as the baseball bat bashing, and or chainsawing, or various weaponed assault or murder of the very same hookers.

I have always felt it a sad state of affairs when, especially, religious, moral, blah blah blahs find sex or physical pleasure more dangerous or destructive than violence.

Its the biggest joke, yet its the least funny...

and its reality.

Ain't that a bitch?

Violence is an argument or circumstance that equates to an immediate issue of life and death, the greatest and most powerful form of drama available, as well as the least allowed, therfore it is the most exploited.

Well, actually, the fact that violence is most likely portrayed with one's clothes on may be a simple but enormous factor in its egregious and disproprtionate exposure.

Either way, those who basically condone, knowingly or automotonically violence over sex, either really need to get laid, or are in need of being shot themselves.

I understrand the drama of the threat of loss of life, but I hardly feel that sex, and or physical pleasure, should be deemed bad, taboo, or worse than violence, call me crazy.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
voyeurism
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy