Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

US is #1: In Imprisonment

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are more than 2.1 million US citizens in jail - more than in any other country, the Bureau of Justice Statistics says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4481261.stm

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Pubestic Zest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah... I saw an article about this yesterday. One in 138 people are in the can at the moment. I wonder how many US citizens have been in jail at least once in their life.

A scary thought...

"Life is a dress rehersal for a play that will never go on..."
 46yrs • M
Jail population hits record high

More are being jailed for violence, criminal damage and arson
The prison population has hit a new high, with the number of inmates now totalling more than 75,550 - topping the record set a year ago by six.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4496085.stm

This is a new record for a country far older than and even the root of America, and its over a Million less?...

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my opinion, we could drastically cut the number of criminals, and crimes, if we stopped making jails so damned livable. Provide the basics, heat, light, toilet facilities, and basic foodstuff, but that's it. Lefty, you seem to be able to find stuff easily, could I ask you to look up the statistics on how much is spent in US prisons on luxuries like cable television, weight sets and gym equipment (wonder who had that brilliant idea), congenial visitations, legal support and counsel in court cases instigated by criminals from jail, and so forth.

Many repeat offenders state that they 'couldn't make it on the outside' and committed crimes just to return to prison. Wonder if people would still feel that way if it were a simple one man 4x8, with no personal items and only books for entertainment and an hours sunshine a day. Hey, I'm not completely heartless. I do think they should work on municipal projects too, mandatory, to pay for their own upkeep. This might not only lower crime, but also ease the burden on taxpayers, and help victims find closure too.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 46yrs • M
Personally, on this issue, I think the real point is that nowhere near this many people deserve to be in jail to begin with.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not just here in the states but overseas also. That should take some looking into. Personaly I believe that only the violent criminals should be put away. The rest could be given streets to clean up or something.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
I'm sorry, your article is probebly about the UK - Here's the US

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/jails.htm

400yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that poser exposer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
most of them belong where they put themselves and we don't owe shiftless criminals any justification for getting themselves locked up. HOW ABOUT NOT BREAKING THE LAW, GETTING A JOB and being a decent citizen??? that might be a good idea, huh? that would end the prison population problem for sure. duh...

"i hate cRap!"
 46yrs • M
Record numbers of imprisoned citizens in the country toted as the model of world freedom isn't a joke.

Hmmm, you express disdain when people focus on the negative and assume the worst about politicians (right wing ones anyway) and other posistions of power which affect the world, but then do exactly that without a second thought when condemning poverty stricken minorities who are guilty of crimes that elites continually commit but they can either use influence or simply settle out of court with money they get from selling American jobs to sweat shops, tax fraud, corporate loopholes and friggin corporate werlfare.

At least your priorities are in order.

400yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that poser exposer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ignore

"i hate cRap!"
 64yrs • M •
poser - your not making sense. Our tax dollars are paying for their room and board. Many of them could be at their jobs working and paying taxes. All law breakers do not have to be locked away.

Poser - Have you never broken a law?

I say - Lock away the violent criminals and let the rest do community service.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy