Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Amusing Organic Chemistry!

User Thread
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some Words of Wisdom from CU's favorite bowtie organic chemistry professor. It's a kick to sit in his lectures and listen to the way he turns the subject into an unreal state of complete nonsense. Probably the best organic chem professor I've come across.

Words of wisdom from the Barney:

"If you can't do this [organic chemistry], you're done. Go work at Denny's or Krispy Kreme Doughnut or something."

"This course feels like trying to drink from a fire hydrant."

"We're in an atmosphere, right?"

"R is anything: methyl, ethyl, your mom..."

"It was discovered by some German in 18-something-or-other."

"When an electron hits these guys, it's like those rednecks shooting ducks at the carnival."

"It turns out that when God made the Earth, he made C-13 isotopes."

"So let's say Dick Cheney wants a mass spec because al Qaeda or Oklahoma gunmen poisoned people at this restaurant."

"Imagine you're in a bar with an Uzi."

"Let's say you take a screwdriver and you gauge out your photoreceptors."

"The p-orbitals of benzene hold each other in a loving Christian embrace."

"This acid is so strong that if you threw a puppy dog in there, you'd pull out nothing but bones."

"I dunno why you guys are bored. With this shit you can make better drugs than Danny Glover."

"Then suddenly this oxygen rushes in and everybody's happy and Christian and singing."

"It's cold as a beagle's nose there [in space]."

"When you go to a burning nuclear holocaust..."

"Tonight, go home and, in the privacy of the bathroom, make one of these plastic models."

New Material (2/28/2005):

"My brother, he's a pediatrician, and Christ, you guys fuckin' need to know this!"

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
oh man those crack me up! "R is... your mom."
The c-13 isotopes one and the p-orbitals one are great too.

oh man they are all great.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Astarte I wonder of whom do you speak?
quote:
"This course feels like trying to drink from a fire hydrant."
Our world is composed of atoms which form molecules, carbon compounds represent the greater number of such molecules. As no formulation has provided a simplier manner to define this large portion of reactions requires lots of memorization.
But I know what you mean, just want to scream!

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that frijoles is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was kinda hopin' for some formulas that could make stuff blow up and stuff.

But it was funny anyway.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
"When an electron hits these guys, it's like those rednecks shooting ducks at the carnival."

haha...that funny. Nice comparison.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Chirality
Chirality is a property of Molecules who spatical arrangement of atoms leads to the symmetry; a mirror image of that molecule will be a different compounds.
This difference in three-dimensional structure leads to a new type of isomer called stereoisomer. Stereoisomers differ only in the spatical position of their groups.
A molecule with this property is said to be chiral.
Many natural substances are chiral and this is a key factor in their reactivity, particularly with amino acids and enzynes, saccharides, DNA and RNA in mammalian systems.
Chiral molecules are also produced by plants and these substance have a variety of properties including those which behave as defensive substance or attractive substance.
Chiral molecules are also responsible for the chemicals that trigger odor responces in humans when released into the air from plants and animals.
Racemic Mixture
A special case arises when there are equal mixture of two enantiomers. If the specific rotation of this mixture is 0 and the mixture is called in racemic mixture; this implies that the specific rotation of the enantiomers mixtures are additive

72yrs • M •
Well that the professor has snow balled you with his wonderful wit, perhaps you would like a chance to return the favor & stump him?
quote:
As it is written: Money is the root of all evil . . . no that is not right, it is the love of money. So is technology good or evil?
After all, it is the fruit of the forbidden tree?
Went to give a plate of food to my mother. She complained "why not use the styrofoam plate?" So I told her that I had noted that when I nuked the food, the those plates would pit & show signs of melting so I didn't like to put somethingreal hot food on them. I mean to keep your food warm or to keep your drinks cold, it is fine. But for cooking you might be better off spending a little extra time. I mean, you don't cook with them on top of stove do you?
quote:
before Lefty starts to jump around, let me add knowledge like money is not inherently good or evil. It is the use to which we put it?
Random House Dictionary
Styrofoam is a polymer of styrene (R) which is composed of a colorless water-insoluable liquid [C8-H8] that copolymerized to form synthetic rubber compounds
quote:
Biology 3rd Edition Campbell
Chapter 5 The Structure and Function of Macromolecules pg.65 The classes of macromolecules differ in the nature of their monomers [R] Monomers are linked together by the process known as Condensation Synthesis. The net effect is that a water molecule is removed for each monomer added to the chain . . . Both monomers, each having lost a covalent partner, now bond covalently to each other . . . Polymers are disassembled to monomers by hydrolysis, a process that is essentially the reverse of condensation reaction.
As monomers are actually formed of smaller [R] molecules or can be broken down into such. Can the styrofoam form a substitution reaction with the food (herbs, spices, sauses)?
what are the possible products if they were to do so?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 72yrs • M •
EXperiment: take a styrofoam plate, add enough water to cover the bottom, nuke at 10 sec. increments until you note changes in the texture of the plate.
I wonder if nuking water on a styrofoam plate produces reorganization of (surface molecules) monomers would it do so in the body? As body fat is broke down as an biological process perhaps existing fat in the body subjected to radiation reform as racemic macro which can't be broken down by the body . . . leading to obesity & hardening of the arteries?

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy