No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly. - wesdawgy
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

LIFE AFTER DEATH QUESTION

User Thread
 74yrs • M •
alanb is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
When I was 18 I had an out of body experience while in hospital. I found myself looking down from the ceiling looking at my body on the bed. I saw and heard things that I could not possibly have done from my bed. What I saw and heard were verified by a nurse and doctor.
Some part of me had seperated and was acting totally independant of my body. I have studied others experiences and KNOW that when we die, that is not the end.
Ok so far, bear with me. Now comes the problem.
There is, it seems, no doubt that evolution is a reality. That we evolved from some slime in some long ago sea. So when did we, as humans, get this bit of us that survives death or does every living thing possess it?. I have wrestled with this problem for years so sensible answers only please.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It seems to me that this "thing" that you speak which may survive after death is consciousness, awareness, and evolution, as it's called, may be more complex than it seems. I once read that God (or gods) experience time differently than we do. Some religions say that a god may experience millions of our years in what we would experience as a minute or two. As such, it is quite possible that individual objects do not have any real significance for such a being. Individual beings are much like small cells, being born, living, and dying in such a fleeting moment for this being. Such a being, having a different perception of time, would necessarily have a completely different perception of space, more encompassing, so to speak. It is quite possible that such a being would perceive "concepts" as actual physical "things" (like Plato's Forms)...such as the physical concept "Man." When God imagined the idea of Man it came into being in what He may have thought of as a fleeting moment which, in reality, may have been a milion years! On this higher mental plane of existence, individual beings have no significance in this developement, being mere components or elements of the greater "substance," the concept Man, existing in the past, present and future simultaneously. Transition from lower to higher forms may appear to us as "evolution," but to God may be mere transitions from fetal growth, childhood, to adulthood of one essential being, Man. To answer your question, I believe this slime possesssed consciousness, as all living things do. Survival after death may not be another plane of existence, however. I mentioned before that each of us may be trapped in our "own" time so that after we die we may be reborn as who we are, in the same house, with the same family and the same experiences and live our lives all over again, and again, until we get things right, or get things so wrong we cycle out of our "sphere of time" into nonexistence. Just a theory.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There can be no such things as gods. The Cause of the finite, temporal universe must be infinite and eternal. There can not be more than one infinite and eternal things - there can only be ONE infinite thing - if there were two then how would you differentiate the one from the other?

46yrs • M •
Geez!...I was speaking on neutral grounds whereby all people with varied beliefs can atleast listen to something different...It's a shame that ideas cannot be shared without forced dogma...Lighten up, dude.

46yrs • M •
I personally believe in only one GOD...but I would never assume that it will be the same god for all.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
every living thing posesses it, but not every thing experiences it in exactly the same way, just as not every human experiences it in exactly the same way.

the end, very end is what every thing experiences in the same way. after going through the "tunnel" and seeing what you see, even perhaps exploring it for a bit... no one knows what is after that. everyone who has come back has never seen beyond that point in their experience.

in my personal experience, i explored for a rather long period. i even had several "conversations" with "entities." but ultimately, i was "told" it was not my time.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M •
Interesting...It would be nice that I could believe that such contact was possible. It's would be nice to imagine a world that is perfect and beautiful. Once again, however, I realize that I know of no experience before my birth beyond the person I am now. And I cannot imagine any life beyond what I've already known. These personal realizations have brought my thinking in tune with idea of eternal recurrence, and experiences of deja vu reinforce it. It's not such a bad idea. And it's not so simple to say "So what if my life is a mess now, cuz' I'll get a second chance to do it all over again in the next life!" In this idea changes must be made NOW to ensure a positive outcome by jumping an infinity of lives into something better. Just a theory, but one I like.

53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Geez!...I was speaking on neutral grounds whereby all people with varied beliefs can atleast listen to something different...It's a shame that ideas cannot be shared without forced dogma...Lighten up, dude."

BWAAAAA... And you call me sensitive? lol I listened to what you wrote - disagreed with it - explained my own beliefs and you wet your panties - no one is forcing you to agree with me DUDE - take a chill pill and write when your no longer menstruating. lol

74yrs • M •
alanb is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thanks for your comments. I don't believe in reincarnation cos what happens if the world is destroyed by an asteroid tomorrow. Not much to come back to huh!.
Evolution and creation can go hand in hand as any god would be outside of what we call time. I guess the only conclusion to my original question of when humans got a soul( for want of a better word) is that they always have. This means that every other living organism must have one as well. Guess I'll watch where I'm walking in future. Wouldn't like the thought of some ant or such having an early trip to the afterlife.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if the world is destroyed tomorrow, the universe may be recreated in a few trillion years... and boom a brand new home. and all just in a blink of an eye to a god, perhaps.

dont worry about the ants or micro organisms. if its their time to go, they will cross your path. if its not, theyll be far away. we all play god to some extent.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M •
LOL!!!...Xris, I'm starting to enjoy this!...If you try to imagine my face when I wrote those words you'd be correct if you saw me smiling in surprise...chuckles...Besides, emotion is good unless it interferes with keeping an open mind about what other people are saying and responding with courteous feedback...And I guess I was a little dismayed that you so aggressively latched on to the use of the word "gods"...It gave me the impression that you might be a bit narrow-minded...Oh, well...I guess that's always to be expected...chuckles

46yrs • M •
And, yes, alanb...Sorry I didn't notice your post with all this silly dialogue I've had with xris and all...I think even the smallest, most insignificant of creatures (even cells and microbes, which is what we probably are in the infinite scheme of things) possess consciousness, little lives lived out in complete isolation from the life experiences of larger creatures and completely unaware of them, in an almost completely different dimension. Just my opinion.

33yrs • M •
Jev985 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
There is no real way of seeing who is correct at the time, but i extremely glad that im not the only human trying to figure out what it all means. The only way of knowing is by one of us completely dieing and coming back to inform us all what it means. But we all know that that is immpossilbe.(Still coming up with theory to post)

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy