Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Life, Death, Choice

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
HarshTranquil is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Life, Death, Choice
I have very little respect for human life. Or any life, for that matter. Do you? Do you know WHY you do? You know how easy it is to make a person? It's even fun. It isn't a very impressive achievement, however.

When I heard that the world trade centers collapsed, and over three thousand people were dead... I was nonchalant. Because, chances are, there wasn't a single valuable life (by my standards) in the buildings. And... yes, value is entirely in the eye of the beholder- my friends lives are extremely valuable to me, and in most cases I would give my own life to protect them. But that doesn't make them valuable, any more than my own life is valuable or the lives of three thousand American business men are valuable.

Stop and think about this particular case study. In New York City, over 5000 people die by gunshot wounds annually. Well shit, in 2001, only 3000 people died in New York City from planes crashing into buildings. So why were there parades for 9/11? Why were there countless movies, books, documentaries about it? "Oh, but those 3000 died all at once." Common sense is usually too much to hope for.

The other "hot" tradgedy of the decade has been the tsunamis in the Indian Ocean. Just under 100000 Asians dead over the course of 3 weeks. Well shucks, 200000 Iraqi civillians (mostly women, children, and the elderly) were murdered at bombsight by George W. Bush just last year. Why weren't we donating to unicef and Red Cross then?

:::Anecdote Injection::: Clap yourself on the back Canada, you donated more per capita for tsunami relief than ANY other country in the world. It's too bad that over a million of that went towards a foundation in Toronto complete with 1-800 help line devoted to helping TORONTONIANS to deal with the pain, anguish, strife, and trauma of seeing tsunami images on TV and the Internet. Ya, we're real crusaders here in Canada. Sucks for the orphaned kid in Thailand who won't get his aide package because your aunt Liz in Ottawa couldn't change the channel in time to avoid being grief-stricken.

I'm not belittling anyone that donated money, or was involved in the benefit put on in an effort to help out- in fact I'm quite impressed by this. But anyone that actually cried over the dead people in Asia and still havn't raised an eyebrow over the ethnic cleansing in Darfur, Sudan, where millions have been tortured and murdered (as opposed to a quick death by waves), you need to go and hang yourself in a forest or something.

Anways... I was going somewhere with all this crap...

When we lose people like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Kurt Cobain, Ray Charles, Martin Luther King, and Winston Churchill, I become regretful. These were people who changed the world, or at least my life. And if I had to send a Tsunami onto California to bring back Cobain, I wouldn't hesitate to press the earthquake button. I regret the industrial revolution, that for a hundred years we lost a hundred Mozarts and DeVincis, and at least 1 or 2 Jesuses and Ghandis. These were valuable lives.

Look at the way we mourn- if no one is mourning nearby, you will have to use your imagination. We never cry for the dead- we cry for ourselves. Hey, chico/a! A 5 year old was just raped and murdered in the time you've been browsing this forum! Huzzah! Are you sad? Tearing up a little, perhaps? WHY NOT YOU MONSTER?! A POOR, INNOCENT 5 YEAR OLD WAS JUST RAPED AND MURDERED! It's so saaaaaaaaaad. Not doing anything for you?

I'll hit you up with a little personal anecdote. I've got a big family, and I've been to a lot of funerals. A few of them, people have called "tragedies". An aquaintance of mine recently hung himself from a bridge. A girl I had partied with a few times recently passed away in a car accident. Another aquaintance (this one I actually have a lot of regret about, he would have been a 'valuable person' died of a seizure two weeks ago. But I never felt any serious sense of loss, because I had very little social interaction with anyone in the coffins.

All the people who have died in my family (with the exception of one or two) I saw rarely at best. When I was 16, my cat died. I have never been sadder. Makes very little sense, no? It was just a cat, they have no complex emotions, you can't have a conversation with a cat or share with it a bottle of wine. But he was there everyday for 11 years, he always stayed by my side instinctively if I'd been having a shitty day- there was a strong solidarity. The point is that for the past million years, humans have been selfish creatures. It is inherant. We do not mourn for death, we mourn that we must go on living without our friends and family.

Something infinitely more important than life or death is choice. Without choice, everything else is worthless. If a woman in America in 2007 can't go to a doctor to have an abortion, why was she born? If someone living in prohibition can't have a drink, why have a throat. This is all melodrama of course, as we always have a choice. The woman can always buy a coathanger, the man can always drink mouthwash. The point is that we exist to choose.

The importance of choice is directly related to the unimportance of life. A brief look around and mayhap one in the mirror is enough to see that people waste their lives, and their choices. So why do they exist? The same reason they make lemon and orange Starburst- filler.

No one (used broadly) knows how to raise their fucking kids today, and it's obvious that the next generation is going to be a bunch of retards interspersed very sparingly by a reasonably intelligent person. It's become apparent to me that this world is gradually collapsing into international chaos, and I fear there will be no one capable enough to rebuild it.

Weeping for the future,
- Harsh

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You're honest about your amorality. I prefer that a thousand times to the holier-than-though righteous attitude of christian fundies and hippy-activists.

Be careful when you idolize great figures, they are human, often they were merely in the right place at the right time. Many of them are mere creations of the media (Maria Teresa) and their success is nothing more then historical accident.

Freedom is not always better than security. Indeed, can you be free when you live in fear?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well ev1 has amoral and moral thorugh time (out of common sense) just different scales n stuff... and yea everyone is simlar i dont idolize anybody, but actully part of being human is idoliazing so i sdo

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i feel a constant general pain for all of the suffering in the world. but it is outweighed by all of my personal happiness. if i moped around all the time because somebody has been murdered by the time it takes me to eat lunch, i would never get anything done. life is a struggle, a beautiful, glorious and harsh struggle. i wouldnt have it any other way.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
^^^I love humans........I mean we're slow...but it's all to the good, most of us will realize what we are and where we're supposed to be in this twisted up reality we've created... *sigh*....Time is a ridiculous invention...the worst mankind has ever created...control through fear is a result of this foolish creation.......God has created creatures that think they think for themselves.....and that's mans downfall.....I love you guys tho....without you I wouldn't exist...and I thank you for your faults so that others may have knowledge.......and to H.T... what you wrote is the most realest thing ever......that's the illusion that so many have fallen under...it sucks but it'll work out...don't get too emotional about it...........Alot of people feel your pain and frustration....

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that A Distraction B is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have little respect for most humans. today i was driving and came to a stop sign that intersected the highway. There was traffic stoppd for about 2 miles. I waited at that stop sign as people inched their way by me. Not one out of 200 cars let me out. And they knew they should have because as they crept pass, they made sure that their eyes never met mine. just stright ahead into the sea of red lights and sky. I have little respect for humans because there is a such thing as careing a little too much for yourself.(and no one else) hmm

with the 9/11 thing... i hate how it was all dramatized and airbrushed to be this HUGE MASSIVE deal. ok it was very unfortunate for the US, but yeah look at the facts. How many people die of gunshots, OD's, AIDS, car accidents, heart attacks per year... that number is, is a sense.. over looked and abandoned. The main reason that i think 911 was so big was a "scandal" it boosted tv ratings,newspaper sales etc. and i went to ground zero a few weeks after it happened and i got sick, i got so discusted to see people selling 911 calendars t-shirts and coffee mugs for 40 bucks a pop. No better way to say good morning than conspiracy in your cup! anyway without further adue- people suck. let someone go ahead of you in traffic. are you really that much in a hurry? if so.. leave earlier!

"you held my hem as I traveled blind listening to the whispering in my ear"
 37yrs • M •
I agree!

And the only way to do that is to genetically modify the humans to give them stronger "compassion" genes.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that starforsaken is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hmm, harsh, edited, i see.

Well I of course agree on certain aspects, but don't be so apathetic towards the future. More and more people are being stupid... but there are still and always will be many revolutionary, intelligent people out there.

Let me anecdote this to my hometown in the sticks of Saskatchewan. The people who are left there stay there because they don't care about furthering knowledge. Now I'm not talking about jobs such as construction, i'm talking about absolute retards who drop out of high school. This in turn brings crossbreeding of the non-intellects in those towns, making the gneral population dumber and dumber as time goes on.

However, many people I know have gone on to pursue their dreams and have achieved great success in doing so. These people are bound to produce kids who think the same way they do... providing they bring them up with some kind of moral structure. Call me naive, but I have little doubt my children will grow up to be anything less than upstanding people in their own right.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 37yrs • M •
Awakening Mystic - Man's mind has not changed much in the last hundred thousand years. Man isn't going to get fundamentally better without man actually changing, currently we aren't changing. Or rather, because of medicine and security, we are getting physically frailer and are more prone to disease.

Mentally, I don't think we're changing one bit.

37yrs • M •
If mankind is fundamentally evil and selfish, changing his genes could be an innovative way to fix him.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The problem with your solution lies in the possibility that man is not essential corrupt physically but spiritually. That is my belief and, if Im correct, no amount of genetic engineering will help!

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 37yrs • M •
Well, man may be corrupt, but God made him corrupt, man is made by his genes. I am going on the assumption that most of man's behaviour is based on his genes.

Man is horny, man is hungry, man is tired, all of man's basic drives are caused by instincts caused by genes (in turn these adaptive traits, evolution). Even things like love in a family or couple can overwhelmingly be interpreted as nothing more as an adaption to a more social life. That is, genetic.

If you believe genes, emotions and instincts are important (I would argue THE MOST IMPORTANT) drives of human behaviour, then man can be improved.

36yrs • M •
PawnPuppeteer is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
what do you think is going to happen when this generation grows up?

"Play life like Chess"
Life, Death, Choice
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy