We are something stupid and at best something that cancels itself out. (Schopenhauer) - rschulz
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Time Travel - Page 2

User Thread
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Romach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I watched a History Channel program about Archemedes. He did fundamental work that set the stage for calculus. Archemedes was heavily influenced by Aristotle's notion that things could be infinitely divided. The reason I bring this up is because Archimedes was able to take a cross-section of something infinite and do wonderful mathematical things with it. I'm not very good with math. I'm assuming his limiting infinity would correspond to Rheman's Limit in calculus? I'm not even certain if I've recalled the name correctly. You happened to remind me of that. I've only read some Kant, especially pertaining to morality, political theory and in some semantics. He's extremely difficult for me to comprehend.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think Kant pretty much "out there"...he was a transcendentalist thinker...He believed the human mind could transcend both space and time (more correctly, three-dimensional space and linear time) because space and time were only in our minds...the "real world," he thought, existed without them...Infinity becomes a problem when you realize that three-dimensional space is inadequate to contain the external world in two direction, the infinitely large world of the universe and the infinitely small world of molecules, atoms and subatomic particles. Ancient philosophers always struggled with the fact that matter seems infinitely divisible...no matter how small a particle it will always seem reasonable that it could be divided into two more parts, and those parts into four, and so on and so on, infinitely...It only seems reasonable that this should be so...but it also sems that as we "descend" into this dark world of the infinitely small three-dimensional space begins to lose meaning, substance...Is it possible that all things are, at thier infinitely small roots, somehow something other than three-dimensional?...metaphysical somehow?...If you really think about the concept of matter you begin to realize that is an illusion...what is matter? does it have a distinctive color, taste, smell or texture? We know what wood is, and what earth is, but matter a substance independent of the thing it composes is incomprehensible. It is just as illusive and "metaphysical" a concept as soul or spirit!...The problem of infinity with respect to the universe is just as bad...If the universe is finite then what's on the other side...Nothingness?...Nothingness is just as in comprehensible as the concept of infinity...However, if the universe is infinite it cannot have the shape of an three-dimensional sphere or orb or any solid object whatsoever!...A solid requires boundaries, or sides!...An infinite universe has no boundaries and, therefore, no form whatsoever!...There center of such a universe would be any arbitrary point in the universe! All this leads me to the conlusion that the real world is not three-dimensional, nor physical...it is metaphysical!...The concept of time is even more prob lematic, but fun to think about...chuckles.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, actually, a new theory called the 'super string' theory has been formulated, that the base of all matter are these two dimensional 'strings'. So it's not neccessary that matter be infinite.(a bit of topic I would say!)
Also, if the outside of the universe is incomprehensable to you, just look around you at the empty sapce, it's the same thing. Just try to comprehend the empty space in your room.
Basically, I think this concept of a spherical universe is bull. I mean, it's no use thinking of this concept from the outside, cuz what do you mean by outside?! Yeah, maybe if we keep going on straight forever, perhaps we may eventually return to our starting point, but don't think of the universe as something like the earth.

Regarding time, I beleive it doesn't exist. It exists only because of your brain. The past exists because of matter and memory, and the future exists because of the brains anticipation, the brain is limited to only these. We can experiance the present only when we are in touch with our 'inner selves'. Infact, being present is the basis of meditation.
Yeah, time can also be eternally divisible, but don't think of it just in terms of numbers.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok, explaining my point that time travel can only be possible if there exist an infinite amount of dimensions or life is pre-determined. I have come to this conclusion, because these are the only two ways which can solve the problems caused by time travel.
For example, imagine that before going to work your car keys disappear. Now, at work you inven a time machine, and go back into the past, i.e, that very morning, and pick up your car keys, and then suddenly realize, 'oh, so that where they went!'
Now, this scenario could only be possible, if life was pre-determined, or, there existed other 'dimensions', in which by time travelling, you would travel into the past or future of other dimensions(or universes), so, killing your grand pa in the past does not have to neccassarily have to mean that you will not be born(Though that may well be the case in that particular dimension)

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 48yrs • M •
That sounds pretty reasonable. If a computer were a time machine, and edit-undo were the act of going back in time, then: If one were to press edit-undo, one might be undoing an action on a pre-existing page and not on the page on which the person is actually looking, even though that is the page the person actually wants to change. That is assuming that the computer does not actually edit the page on which the person is looking.

48yrs • M •
Or to be technical: the computer would facilitate your ability to alter either the actual page on which you are looking or a pre-existing page.

32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RocketTed is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I belive time travel is not possible because if object A at time X jumps to time Z where is it between X and Z. If it does not exsist in "Y" because of time travel can it exsist in Z? If it is possible however wouldn't A have to travel at greater that light speed? If that happens wouldn't it become light due to E=MC2?

Backward time travel is not possible also because if A jumps backwards from Z to X after time Z woudn't object A not exsist due to jump back in time so it waould be caught in the cycle from Z to X to Y to Z to X to Y to. . .

Right?

"Bad things to hear in a submarine: "Captain, the flooding put out the fire!!""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The string theory has become redundant The string theory has become redundant make way for the m theory
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/qg_ss.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/m-theory

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
because time is a point of reference, and life does not infact exist, one can time travel by changing ones own point of reference.

Time Travel - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy