Playing the drums is like making love, playing fast will make those who have never done it amazed, but pointless to those who have. - UnderDawg
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Reality or Illusion ?

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
booty18 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Reality or Illusion ?
what if the life we have been living isnt real and its just a movie ? what if the world in which we live in had been created by some omnipotent being and we're all just a part of a movie set ? how can really know the difference between really and just a illusion?

"things dream of can be gained if i work hard enough"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Can't untill you walk backstage some day on accident, but they kill you if you find out anyway.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We can't. It's no use philosphizing about it 24 hours either, it makes one depressed.
Basically, we can not be completely sure wheather we exist or not, because for us, the whole universe is just a bunch electrical signals interpreted by our brain. If a brain could be kept alive, it could be wired to a computer, which could then send electrical signals of sound, feeling, taste, smell, sight ec, and thus, the brain would imagine it self to be a buisness man or something, sitting in front of this computer typing this post...

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M
We just have to go with what is most consistent, the thing people call your life that you wake up to every day.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Would it matter if we really existed or not? Let's say you somehow learned you were not real. Then what? Or if you somehow learned that you do exist? Would it change your go to work-eat-sleep-have fun routine?

I don't know about you, but if I ever found an answer to my questions, I would question those answers, thus, the neverending circle of thought. Major migraines there.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
Ya, so untill you can begin to control the matrix, don't worry about it.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The minute you begin to worry about this stuff, then everything goes downhill from there. So, ignorance is temporary bliss. I believe that we will all find out the truth about everything one day. Until then, don't worry, because I don't think anyone can come up with an answer to this one. Well, at least I don't.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • F •
jimihendrix is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
man i've been thinking about that for the past few hours a lot so its really cool to find something asking the same kind of question. like what if none of any of this that we live is even real? everything is fake but nobody knows it because we follow all the customs, but really nobody knows whats happening with the Universe and farther beyond.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People get too scared by the fact they know nothing for sure. Here's the basics:
- an experience is what you feel, see, believe, those you 'know' for sure. IE "I saw something which looked like claws outside my window"
- the truth is merely what adequately explains an experience "In fact, it was just thin tree branches in the wind"

So the only thing you 'know' is what you saw and what you think you saw, those sensations and thoughts are real. The explanation the 'truth' can never be known, never for sure.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 39yrs • M •
seektruth750 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Asking whether we exist or not is a hard question to ask when thought about too deeply. For one to answer this, we have to know what existence really is. As we start discovering more things on the quantum level, we start to realize that matter isn't really what we think it is. Maybe we should reconsider what existence really is as well.

"Never be too timid or squeamish, all life is an experiment."
 37yrs • M •
There's no quantum physics in it. This is just inadequate definitions. Can anybody here give me a good definition of existence?

What does it mean that something 'exists'?

Mine would be: anything which in any way affects my perceptions.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
^^So are you saying that which doesn't affect your perceptions doesn't exist?....

Existence is only what is, it cannot be attained unless you stop being...until you lose ego, pride, selfishness, and all the other hindrances in your life....you don't start anew unless you stop what was previous (dying), but if you die everyday that you're alive then you can live forever......that's my opinion...

"Being is not knowing!"
 39yrs • M •
seektruth750 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
For something to exist it must either affect, or interact with something else in some way.

"Never be too timid or squeamish, all life is an experiment."
 37yrs • M •
Not exactly. I think something exists 'for' something else.

IE, hypothetically. Things interacting with each other in a parallel universe do NOT exist for me. Because they do not interact with me, they from my point of view, do not exist.

Reality or Illusion ?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy