Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

American Idiot Critique

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
American Idiot Critique
try to keep in mind that i am one of the biggest Green Day fans you will ever come across...

that said, i must say that i was very impressed and also a bit shocked when i picked up this cd. over the years this band has grown an incredible amount. i dont claim to know anything about what goes on inside the minds of these fellows, but it seems (to me) that after their first three albums, they began to break away from their own "design." with each album theyve gotten further and further away, and many have critisized them for this.

their wit, humor and sarcasm has always remained and still does so with American Idiot. but one major change i noticed right away is that Billie has supressed his "psuedo brittish" accent which he is so infamous for. it is still prevalent on many tracks, but on others it sounds as if it has completely gone away.

overall, the cd is fantastic, filled with familiar sounding riffs, basslines and drumbeats... but there is something quite different, it has a bit of an opera-esque feel to it. every song is connected to another throughout the cd, which i find very engaging as a listener.

i believe my personal favorite song as of now is Boulevard of Broken Dreams, as noted by my current quote "My shadow's the only one that walks beside me My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating"

Wake Me Up When September Ends - comes in a close second

9/10

oh and its number one on The Billboard 200 this week

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think is a very good album, a neat job as you would expect from Green Day

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thelivingend is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i would have to dissagree, even though american idiot has its kicks, it woulnd stand out to me as their best cd. Good review, but how about listing the tracks, band members, etc... but good review, serriously

"and then, everyone died."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fans get disappointed when their idol moves away their original image. Singers, songwriters, actors/actresses are all developing artists. Maybe they started out with a certain image to attract fans then changed back to their true voice or evolved into something else. But I agree with the opera-esque feel to this album. Definitely more dramatic.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PneumoniaHawk is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I personally have never like Green Day, although their older albums were much bettter than American Idiot. I think it was their biggest mistake. but again, it's just my opinion.

"You get custody, I get your life."
 32yrs • F •
anniekins is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i have to say that personally i think international superhits is their best album - packed full of crazy and random lyrics, its fantastic. their music has always been political, and that just makes it more interesting. i think that american idiot is the most political album, the song "wake me up when september ends" referring to the terrible 9/11 incident, coincidentally that song was written on that date, which makes it that bit more close to home.

overall, greenday are in a space close to my heart, their music has seen me through many hard times.

"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"life sucks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\""
American Idiot Critique
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy