Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

glOBaL waRMInG - Page 4

User Thread
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sure, here are a few:

Doran, P.T. etc., 2002, "Antarctic climate cooling and terrestial ecosystem response," Nature 415: 517-20.
From 1986 to 2000 central Antarctic valleys cooled .7* C per decade with serious ecosystem dammage from cold
----

Comiso, J.C., 2000, "Variability and trends in Antarctic surface temperatures from in situ and satellite infared measurements," Journal of Climate 13: 1674-96.
Both satellite data and ground stations show slight cooling over the last 20 years.
----

Joughin, I., and Tulaczyk, S., 2002, "Positive mass balance of the Ross Ice Streams West Antarctica," Science 295: 476-80.
Side-looking radar measurements show West Antarctica ice is increasing at 26.8 gigatons/yr. Reversing the melting trend of the last 6,000 years.
-----

Thompson, S.W., and Solomon, S., 2002, "Interpretation of recent Southern Hemisphere climate change," Science 296: 895-99.
Antarctic peninsula has warmed several degrees while interior has cooled somewhat. Ice shelves have retreated but sea ice has increased.
------

Petit, J. R. etc., 1999, "Climate and atmospheric history of the past 420,000 years from the Vostik ice core, Antarctica," Nature 399: 429-36.
During the last four interglacials, going back 420,000 years, the Earth was warmer than it is today.
-----

Anderson, J.B. and Andrews, J.T., 1999, "Radiocarbon constraints on ice sheet advance and retreat in the Weddell Sea, Antactica," Geology 27: 179-82.
Less Antarctic ice has melted today than ocurred during the last interglacial.
-----

Liu, L, atc., 2004, "Interpretation of recent Antarctic sea ice variability," Geophysical Research Letters 31: 10.1029/2003 GLO18732.
Antarctic sea ice has increased since 1979 .
-----

Vyas, N. K., etc., 2003, "On the secular trends in sea ice extent over the antarctic region based on OCEANSAT-1 MSMR observations," International Journal of Remote Sensing 24: 2277-87.
Trend towards more sea ice may be accelerating.
-----

Parkinson, C. L., 2002, "Trends in the length of the southern Ocean sea-ice season, 1979-99," Annals of Glaciology 34: 435-40.
The greater part of Antarctica experiences a longer sea-ice season, lasting 21 days longer than it did in 1979.

Hope this helps.

[  Edited by Xris at   ]
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Went to a friends house warming, his new (previously owned) home adjoins an area being formed into a man-made lake to hold runoff of Wally World's [Walmart Superstore] parking lot.
May be the local residence can get water front property rights? Resale as lakefront, put up a dock, stock the lake?
Fish from your own back yard!
Mess'in with our environment? Screwin things up, who US?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/press/01/pr0132.htm

There site is back up working again. This from the U.S. government Science Foundation:

quote:
NSF PR 01-32 - April 19, 2001

Media contacts:

Cheryl Dybas, NSF
(703) 292-8070
ccdybas@nsf.gov

Harvey Leifert, AGU
(202) 777-7507
hleifert@agu.org

Thomas Vasich, UCI
(949) 824-6455
tmvasich@ua-mail.uadv.uci.edu

Program contact:

Anne-Marie Schmoltner, NSF
(703) 292-8522
aschmolt@nsf.gov

This material is available primarily for archival purposes. Telephone numbers or other contact information may be out of date; please see current contact information at media contacts.

Climate Researchers Warn of Impact from Poorly Designed Air Pollution Efforts

Climate researchers are warning that efforts to reduce air pollution could, if not well designed, make global warming worse. Limiting emissions of man-made nitrogen oxides, a strategy to control ozone in the lower atmosphere, would result in increased methane abundance and lead to additional greenhouse warming, they say.

Need we say more. You can read the whole article by clicking the above link or search for other information on their site (Natonal Science Foundation) http://nsf.gov

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
Let me just also add that the reason there was so much arguement was because, while some ice was melting, other ice was growing. This due to the poles shifting, a normal accurance. So data from melting ice had to be compared with data from new ice.

72yrs • M •
Informative link OkCityKid, thanks.
A reason for the inclusion of run off lake is the variations of water levels & salt concentration effect the limestone deposits. Environmental changes may have far reaching effects which we are barely aware. Like the white cliffs of Dover dissolving at elevated temperatures?

53yrs • M •
You didnt care for all my information, though, did you?

lol

72yrs • M •
quote:
didnt care for all my information
Not the case, I applaud when anyone put forth the effort to identify important information with their sources.
Web resources are easily checked but credentials are not good. I check to insure validiity of quoted statements not used out of context or technology is being misleading.
I didn't mean to imply that your post is less informative &
thank you for sharing the information.
I guess I am pointing out that our world has been abused by our lack of understanding or consideration. The ecological nitch is in a state of dynamic equilibrium, We need to be careful about what we do.
What do say , once the earth was filled with active volcanoes, a tropical jungle where lizards ruled the world.
What was the atmosphere like then? So while time passes & these things change, our nature may bring undesirable changes.

64yrs • M •
cturtle - you probebly have a better understanding of this than I do. But salt water acts as a climate control mechanism as the ocean currents flow back and forth from the cold part of the earth to the warm part of the earth. The additional melting ice delutes the salt water and changes the way this machinism works. Truly, nobody really knows what will happen, everyone is calculating as best as they can.

72yrs • M •

Kyoto Global Warming Pact Takes Effect
February 16, 2005 10:19 AM EST

KYOTO, Japan - The Kyoto global warming pact went into force Wednesday, seven years after it was negotiated, imposing limits on emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases scientists blame for rising world temperatures, melting glaciers and rising oceans.
LINKS:

http://unfccc.int/2860.php

http://www.pewclimate.org/

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/index.html

http://www.unep.org/

64yrs • M •
Unfortunately, The U.S. - one of the largest polluters had not signed the pact.

53yrs • M •
Thank God!

In the first place the creaters of Kyoto admit that it will not accomplish the very thing they are worried about. Secondly, the economic problems created by Kyoto could actually make pollution worse.

72yrs • M •
Yes little signficant can be done to reduce pollution level till we revise the processes producing them.

53yrs • M •
So why would you do something that you know from the onset will fail AND will have other negative consequences such as to the economy which can then lead to numerous other crises (like war, starvation, etc)???

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
War and starvation will be 10x worse if global warming submerges our coasts and nails our agricultural production.

Kyoto may not solve this, but its a step in the right direction.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Unless you propose using any money saved by not adopting Kyoto in research and development of alternative fuel sources.

I would find that acceptable.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
glOBaL waRMInG - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy