Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Big highway accident occurs on I-80

User Thread
 47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pv_emerald14 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

By the Star-Tribune staff Thursday, August 19, 2004

A chain reaction of crashes on a wet and foggy highway caused a large accident Thursday on Interstate 80 between Laramie and Cheyenne at Buford. The accident, involving as many as 33 vehicles, closed the eastbound lanes of the interstate and narrowed travel westbound to one lane.

The initial crash occurred shortly before noon about three miles west of the Buford Interchange, where as many as seven tractor-trailer combinations and a horse trailer quickly became engulfed in flames. A series of other crashes then cascaded back up I-80 as drivers began running into others who had stopped before the initial crash scene. According to WYDOT District I Maintenence Foreman Tim McGary of Laramie, many more vehicles, including more tractor-trailer combinations and passenger vehicles, became involved in as many as six separate crash events in all.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Sergeant Steve Townsend said, from the scene at 1p.m., that many people were injured -- at least three critically -- but that he was not aware of any fatalities. He said the injured, and others whose vehicles were disabled, were being transported to both Cheyenne and Laramie via several personal vehicles, a Homeland Security Bus and five ambulances.

Townsend said a number of fire department units were on the scene. Those include units from several locations including: the Laramie County fire districts 1,2, and 10; F.E. Warren Air Force Base; the Wyoming Air National Guard and the Vedauwoo Fire Department.

McGary said that it would likely take several hours before the crashes could be cleared and traffic restored on eastbound I-80. In the meantime eastbound lanes will be closed at the east edge of Laramie.

This accident happened about 70-75 miles from where I live. The weird thing about it is my mom and I had talked about meeting in Laramie and exchanging kids for a few days. We decided not to because she would have been driving through the fog on I-80 that had helped to cause this accident. Pretty freaky knowing that she may have been in this also.

Em

""Live life to the fullest!""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
crazy stuff, its right by me basically. the news said only one fatality had been reported, its still horrible but it could have been a lot worse.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 47yrs • F •
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2004/08/20/news/c45745a2009e96
ef87256ef600084361.txt

Here's a link to the article in one of our local newspapers.

You're right, Wyote, it could have been way worse. Trading kids is suppose to happen but I don't know if it will before I have to be to work. That section of I-80 is still closed.

Em

58yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cowgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wyote where are you from as you said it happened right by you basically?

"Life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you will get!"
 40yrs • M •
Larimer County... just a bit south of Laramie

just looked at mapquest.com and its about fifty miles from where i live to Buford... a bit further than i thought... but pretty close nonetheless

47yrs • F •
After walking into work this afternoon I found out that the wife and son of a guy we know in a neighboring town died in this accident and that a family member was seriously hurt and that she may not make it. Such a horrible tragety to befall so many people.

58yrs • F •
I agree EM. I had to venture to Denver over the weekend for an auction and we went over to Laramie to meet a friend of the family that was passing through and then to Wheatland. I did see where they were still cleaning up things and I also have been keeping up with things on the news and papers.

Hey Wyote you must be in Cheyenne or close to there as I think that was about 50 miles from the accident. Am I close? I am learning so much about Wyoming and it is so much fun to travel around here and see new things.

Any suggestions as to neat places to visit would be greatly appreciated. I like to get away once in a while and traveling is my favorite pass time.

40yrs • M •
good guess, but no, i am in Fort Collins, CO.

neat places to visit? well if youre ever here... you must see Moby Gym, it is a very oddly shaped building that CSU uses and it has a good bit of history as well. elsewhere in colorado, i recommend Yellowstone national park.

58yrs • F •
Wyote how long have you lived in Fort Collins as I have friends there and we come there quite often for a break from country living? I like the old town side and love to shop down there. In fact they have a really really good italian restuarant in the old town area that is run by a family but I do not remember the name of it. I do know that it is downstairs and is usually pretty hard to get into on the weekends. Do you know where I am talking about?

40yrs • M •
i have lived here for 18 years, and i believe you are referring to the Catacombs. Old Town is a great place, especially for us college folk.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy