Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Anti-Matter Engines

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
GKR Warrior is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Anti-Matter Engines
I was reading through some web sites and was doing a little research on anti-matter engines. This concept and science behind it is amazing and the more i read the more i wanted to learn.

I was wondering if anyone had studied much on this new technology and if so what can you tell me us?

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling... but in rising every time we fall..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Basically it's about mixing matter and anti-matter to form a electromagnatic explosion, which can then power space ships to further distances and at greater speeds.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I heard that they still cant get it working >.<

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just what is anti-matter, where is the resourse to fuel an engine?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is no resource to fuel this engine we have to make anti-matter in atom smashers and anti-matter engines can't currently be tested because we have only been able to create something like 20 or so anti-matter atoms and if you take the amount needed to power a spaceship to the nearest solar system it will take thousands of years to make enough anti-matter!!! never mind that it is extremely dangerous as it turn 100% of the mas to energy and if you use E=mc2 you will know it a massive amount whereas fusion only converts 0.7% of the mas to energy, the danger is if the magnetic field that is holding it fails under a solar storm the anti-matter will strike one the side of the chamber and boom!!! the ship will be radiated and vaporized so no thing will survive in at least 100 mile range because of radiation that will be almost impossible to stop. the explosion of an anti-matter bomb on earth the size of a few grams will certainly destroy all life and set the atmosphere on fire!!!

So it will be extremely irresponsible for one country to develop it and have the ability to destroy the world with one missile, it will also be irresponsible because the reservoirs that keep the antimatter can be attacked by terrorist and can also destroy the world!!!

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
 45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/home/antimatter_spaceship.html

Here is a nice little article, from nasa. About 3% of the total moss is converted directly to energy, which is tons.
Containment is kind of a pain in the a-hole though, and there are certain challenges presented as to how one would power the containment, especially in light of the iso stresses from tremendous acceleration. The ship out accelerates the antimatter particle, it floats to the back of it's chamber and, like, boom and stuff!
Other stressors affect this project as well. Basically with too much thrust, if the chassis isn't strong enough, the back end of a ship would end up moving faster than the front.
Lastly, even though this is a good possibility, heat becomes an issue. Whatever material the blast pushes up against to propel the craft has to be able to withstand the pressure and heat.

Ablative engines of any variety are not practical for producing much of anything but propulsion energy in the near to mid future, and certainly wouldn't prove safe, reliable or otherwise practical as a weapon. It's hard enough to hide a yellow cake factory, imagine hiding a Large Hadron Collider.

Oh yeah, here is the CERN page detailing how useless antimatter is for MAKING energy or bombs. It also covers the containment issues, and the fact that having a single am particle collision would NOT destroy the entire planet, or even a small diner for that matter.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah but i am talking in the future when we might hypothetically be able to make 1 kg of anti mater or something in that order and i think that would be enough to destroy the earth.

and if you didn't notice everything in the world are getting smaller and more effective and it will only be a matter of time before someone make a Large Hadron Collider very small and effective!!!

But i have to give it to you that i am likely wrong as you did some big research.

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
Anti-Matter Engines
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy