Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

European Union VS United States of America

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Study by some Swedes shows why Europe is an economic laggard comparded to the USA. It attempts to explain it through Europe's massive taxes, public sector bureaucracy and expensive social programs.

The basic point being, because of backward 'welfare state' eurocrap :
Poor American is richer then the Average European.

http://www.timbro.se/bokhandel/pdf/9175665646.pdf

This obviously isn't including all the poor eastern european countries post-commie countries which have joined the EU and haven't had time to devellop yet.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Having lived 25 of my 60 years in Europe (until late '98), I find the comparison silly. Europeans live in 'country-states' that have been supporting people for over 1000 years in a pretty civilized manner. Over-use of land, depletion of natural resources, raising levels of radiation (radon), and wars have taken their toll. This country flourished because we were far enough away from enemies to allow us some time and with plentiful resources and untold riches in soil gave us a huge boost. Additionally we spoke one common language and utilized a common monitary unit. So far, your position is in good shape. Now comes the bad part. Europeans own property in greater percentages than Americans. Europeans owe less money due to less credit than Americans. Europeans enjoy and value their family; Americans can't wait to kick the kids out of the house. You may have more than a European, but you are still paying for it, will still be paying for it, and so will your kids (if you let them back in). A common 'poor' European pair of in-laws will team up to pay the difference between the savings of a couple being married and the cost of their dwelling. Couples hook-up early in life and work for their future. If your daughter or son came home at 13 and said they were going to start a savings account with their 'steady' so they can buy a flat when they get married you'd shit. Apples and oranges. I pity the poor Americans (those that live on this side of the ocean). There is more to life than a 60" TV (and the poor quality signal that the Europeans don't have to put up with).
Work for 20 years and get your 4 weeks of vacation, or be European and get it from the 1st year. Work hard and MAYBE get a bonus at Christmas time, or be European and get 14 monthly paychecks a year (an extra in July to use for your month of August off, and another in December). Suffer in silent agony without health insurance, or be European and have all your medical needs taken care of - including medications.
Given my choice I'd rather be poor in Europe than upper-middle class in America (because if I were rich in America I'd live in Europe!). Even more so if I were European instead of just a wannabe.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Having lived 25 of my 60 years in Europe (until late '98), I find the comparison silly. Europeans live in 'country-states' that have been supporting people for over 1000 years in a pretty civilized manner."
Nonesense. Ever heard of the Dark Ages? World Wars I and II? The Napoleonic Wars? The 7, 30 or 100 year wars?

" Additionally we spoke one common language and utilized a common monitary unit."
Common language? The settlers of America were initially Spanish. Then came a good deal of Germanic (IE, Dutch, English and German) settlers, many Black slaves joined (lessening cultural homogeneity) then came Poles, Italians and Irish. TODAY, the US has basically only 1 language. But that was not the case when the US was born and the US has been constantly subject to immigrants of new and different languages.

"Now comes the bad part. Europeans own property in greater percentages than Americans. Europeans owe less money due to less credit than Americans."
Both of these are common in perception, but untrue. In proportion to their income, Europeans have more debt (Americans have more in absolute terms, but have more money to pay it off).

"Work for 20 years and get your 4 weeks of vacation, or be European and get it from the 1st year. Work hard and MAYBE get a bonus at Christmas time, or be European and get 14 monthly paychecks a year (an extra in July to use for your month of August off, and another in December)."
Guess what? Europeans get payed less. You can institute all the backward social policies you want, they will in the short term increase your salary. However, because of those selfish policies, economic growth will be stopped, and thus,

"Suffer in silent agony without health insurance, or be European and have all your medical needs taken care of - including medications."
The wait can be substantial. Though I agree, the government should help for health. Nonetheless, Americans have more money to spend on health anyway.

"Couples hook-up early in life and work for their future."
Not where I live.

Both Europe and America have shoddy cultures. America with its consume all, get fat, dumb and if your lucky, happy. Europe with its lazy, go on strike and bitch until the gov gives me the money I haven't earned. The difference is, Europe's bad side arises for shoddy government policies and on top of that, is bad economically for europeans (and ultimately, social issues can be resolved through $ ).

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that IUHoosier is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is so grand over there that Americans are beating down the doors to escape the USA. Then again, 1 in 10 Europeans get 52 weeks of vacation a year in as much as the unemployment rate is 10%. Believe me, if it was so great over there, more people would be moving over there. But no, they are on lists to come over here for the oppurtunity to succeed.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Nonesense. Ever heard of the Dark Ages? World Wars I and II? The Napoleonic Wars? The 7, 30 or 100 year wars?

I think you missed the point, althought many & varied emmigrants came to the New World. Europe is the Old World they left because little land & opportunity for growth.
Because Europe is an older civilization, you would have to compare it then with our future world. As many wars were fought in Europe has wasted much of it resourses. In Americas only wars other than against colonialism are revolutions (civil wars). so give a few decades of war in Americas then compare?
quote:
(and ultimately, social issues can be resolved through $ ).
Well of course the United States' God all mighty DOLLAR is Lord of their lifes so money equates to a better life, just bowdown & worship it. It is the great cure all, just throw money at it that will fix it.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 35yrs • M •
mikeyv is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
what the hell is IUhooser talking about!!!

I am an american that has moved to leeds in england and in the town I live in there are 8 american familys I know of which struggled to get out of the US.

I don't know what makes you think there is a waiting list to get in the U.S i don't know anyone who would want to live there

and employment in the UK due to the credit crunch has reach a 15 year high at 1.8million with a population of 60 million I have no idea where you get 10% from.

If you want to talk about people having a 52 week holiday Maybe you should look at the usa having the worlds largest prison population.

life in america is comparable to life in eastern european countries

46yrs • M •
goodluck is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Being a (Western) European currently living in the US and having moved forth and back between both "countries" several times this is a difficult discussion. I have met Americans who want to move to Europe and Europeans who want to move to America. Still most Americans seem to want to live in America and yes most Europeans want to live in Europe.
To me its' a question of personal preference. For example some people think maximum comsumption is the highest goal
others do not. As far as I am concerned if you like where you live stay there. If you don't and you know a place you think you will like, move. But besides that, there is no "better place". It depends on what you personally like.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy