Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar. - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How is our focus

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How is our focus
how much can we focus on, 1 thing or two things or 3 things? more?? (at the same time) and if not much, then why's i tlike that? (by thing i mean any mental occurance like your current desire, and outer influences like objects or occurances.. Think of yourself right now reading this then think of a couple other things... i guess its imposible to analyze.. is it? (i have my own answes but just want to see if anyones thought of this concept before) on haw limited our focus is, mabey why its like that, and can it vary from time, any study's on this?? ps: i know you can do something your used to (fluent) like doodle as your thinking of whatever eatc.. answers?!?!/1

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Danny123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've heard of different studies on this in psychology class. I think the accepted conclusion is: you can be consciously aware of about 7 things at a time. Once you become fluent in it, it's your unconscious mind which is doing it. And your unconscious mind can do a lot more that your conscious mind.
A book called 'The User Illusion' talks about that stuff. And a lot of other interesting things as well.

37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hmm i'm not sure what exactly you're talking about
if you're talking about how many things you can be aware of at the same time, then i don't think "focus" is the right word for that
focusing means concentrating, and i think even if you have a few things on your mind at a time, only one of them you can focus on.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 40yrs • M •
I guess your subconcious ie: memory can hold million different things.. so i guess im refering to your "foreground" of your current concious mind.. thanx for your reply.. do you realy think can only focus on one thing? try focusing on ex: On a casual current desire you have, (which perhaps can have many sapects) so call it one MAIN thing, while focusing onn ex: the price of something you want to by in a advertisment, or a nice painting etc... do you think your only "aware of them and your not focusing... cause your concentrating (to a degree) on at least couple things no? (to mia).. and yea the more things your tring to think or are forced for you to think then other thoughts are less clear and the newsest one stands out the most.. i guess we have an awarnes feeling of thoughts that arent too far away.. but you really think you can only focus on ONE thing at time.. i guess the most clear thing is the ONE but perhaps can still focus on otheres, that just means they wont be as clear as the main focus but can still be considered a focus.. mabey will orginaize thoughts better in discussion and come to some sort of concusioan perhaps..

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
supposidly women are better at focusing on multiple things at once, like having a conversation with somebody while at the same time thinking about chores, work, whats for dinner... and so on. while men are better at focusing on one specific thing for a longer period of time, while being able to see multiple facets of the one specified thing.

i have only been concious of about five things at once... maybe six after a lot of caffine i am sure with practice it is possible to be thinking about much more though. i think usually people are thinking about three or four things at once, all the time. when you become tired you only think about one or two things at a time.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • M •
yes but then i dont trhink you can really focus on 3 things as clealry AT THE SAME TIME.. more things your thinking there more fuzzy and not so clear n if something is clear its only one at a time , but then again how do we divide THING can it be "large" "small" like a current thought i guess you have vision plan of what you want to say for example and kinda ffocusing on saying it.. how big or small of a "thing" would that be? actually sorry im going off topic dont have to answer that, guess im just witng to myself as think (to be open minded partly for someone to read)

40yrs • M •
at any given time how is our focus like you right NOW!! are you thinking of wanbts a kinda feeling form memory mixed with what your seeing, i guess its hard to anylyze since our focus is llimitedfasdf

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
focusing on one main idea- moment to moment you are shifting focus to different "facets" of that idea.

each moment you could perceive many things consciously while recording many more "subconsciously" as well as consciously?
creating memories/ forgetting facts/ recalling emotions/ and all that jazz

i am sure you could focus on no-thing, one thing

not sure how many different ideas you could simultaneously perceive moment b y moment by moment

and i'm also not sure how long "each moment" lasts.

guess you must focus continually for some period of time.
and as with any ability, you could more than likely take this as far as you are willing to go. refer to previous post
just gotta practice, right sleepingwraith/?

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
How is our focus
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy