Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

troy

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
troy
okay, i went to this movie and was insanely disappointed. i never thought brad pitt was a great actor, but i now understand that he is possibly one of the worst in the world--i think this movie may have marked the end of the decent hollywood epic(i.e. braveheart, lord of the rings, even gladiator to a certain extent). of course instead of getting someone who could play a decent warrior they had to get brad pitt to play achilles and then they try to turn it into some kind of a sappy love story between achilles and breistis(sp?), which is totally different from the book--i understand that in order to make a book into a movie, especially one as dated as the illiad, some things have to be changed a little, but this was a disgrace. cheesy lines, bad acting(except for eric bana, who did a surprisingly good job as hector), sappy romance--as if the literal love triangle between helen, paris and meneleaus wasn't enough--not to mention that it kept playing that annoyingly over-sentimental "girl moaning" music from gladiator(which at least gave us the decency of only playing it at the particularly sentimental moments, rather than every ten minutes). and the way "achilles" kept pointing his sword at people whenever he talked, and the terrible over-acting throughout the movie--i'm sorry, but the way hollywood capitalized on this classic work of literature to make a buck just really pisses me off. damn brad pitt and all of his practices!

"You are reading this."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sounds like LOTR 2 and 3...

The ads gave me the impression of just another 'summer' movie.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, to each his own i guess--im usually a pretty harsh movie critic. i always seem to spot little details that just annoy the piss out of me(like the way achilles kept pointing his sword when he talked--just really really got on my nerves). i didn't particularly like gladiator, but i thought it was decent--in my opinion far better than troy. at least russel crow can pull the warrior role off fairly well. brad pitt seems more like a chip and dale's dancer than a warrior. oh well. making any movie from a book is in my opinion always an insult to the book. especially when you alter it as much as they did in this. ever see that movie first knight? another classic example of people unable to create their own stories and characters from scratch so they have to use ones from literature and then change things to fit their needs.

"You are reading this."
[  Edited by Windupnostril at   ]
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
At first I thought it would be good because ya know, "Hey, it's an epic!" but then I realized it's full of pretty boys with no body hair and now I don't think I'll see it.

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
[i never thought brad pitt was a great actor]

Oh my god, Pitt is a great actor. Don't think so? Rent Kalifornia, or The Fight Club. These movies will make you think twice about Pitt.

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i thought he was very good in 12monkeys and Snatch.
i also liked him in Meet Joe Black, but some may disagree.
he is a pretty face, but he can be a good actor, given the right part.

still havent seen Troy

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah I actually think Brad Pitt is quite good. He seems to routinely reject the pretty boy, hero roles. But in this movie, I have a feeling he was chosen for his looks and his looks alone.

40yrs • M •
i heard Brad was naked quite frequently in this movie... *shudders* ... im not so sure i want to see it anymore

40yrs • M •
ok i just saw this movie, finally. i thought it was pretty good. to tell you the truth i cant see anyone except for Brad playing Achilles. the battles were detailed and well thought out. the plot never seemed to slow down (which tends to happen in epics) and the acting was good (especially eric bana). overall a fun flick.

7.5/10

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok trying to curb bias, being a bit of an artist of various forms I happen to be a big Brad fan, no he's not the all around best actor, but as one person put it the most soulful, there is extreme depth of some sort in most his characters, and they are usually fairly tortured souls, something his look and attitude play well off of, His beauty, as there really is no other term, well, there aren't many people who can ever even once say they met humans ultimate goal of physical perfection in all forms, not even all his looks are great, but his best, is THE best, and thats something especially in this culture.

ANYWAY, (he impacted me during some important formative years as well with a river runs through it, legends of the fall, and interview with a vampire, and I can just relate with feeling damned, so sue me)

Anyway, again, as for Troy, I knew I'd watch it cause Brad's the man, and I love Eric Bana, although I was dissapointed by(but didn't hate) the Hulk, the hulk happens to be the only contender who challenges for first place ever with supes for me.

And Orlando hasn't dissapointed too bad yet, though it won't make me popular, other than a few cool things to look moments in the lotr films, IMO, they were nearly trash. They weren't horrible, but I do not (other than die hard fans) understand how it got the reviews it did.

Didn't have much expectations going in to Troy, rule of thumb for enjoying movies anymore, was very pleasantly surprised, I know some of the ticks that can be annoying, but that's where a bias for actors ( some who don't make movies near enough to blow off) can help benefit the experience, but I was very happy with the story and personal struggles, acting was mostly good, all the elements of the movie were satisfactory if not above par, But the end was just stupid. but thankfully it waited till right before credits to do it, so i didn't care.

Ya, I noticed the lack of women pulling their wait in the movie, except for the Cousin fo hector or whatever, that was hot, when he pushed up the good sisters, whatever, and took that nun to be, mmm, good stuff.

Alexander has my number 2 guy, colin farrel as well as the chick that there should be a law that she mates with brad, my female #1 angelina jolie, ........

sorry passed out for a sec, can't get too much brad and her at once, the human brain wasn't meant to deal with that much perfection at once, thats why I also think the universe would promptly implode upon the conception of their child.

And they are rich, ain't that a bitch.

No expectations about Alexander either

But I have to say, they were very different movies but overal I liked troy more than gladiator, even if only for achilles and hector, but no, I think there was more and better of just movie too.

Wake up , I'm done

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
troy
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy