Awe poor thing. Well my advice is if she is shy, she needs to get rid of some of the shyness. If he talks to everyone, and not her, he could be viewing her shyness....(if she is pretty too) as she is stuck up. (even though we all know pretty people have every right to be shy too without being judged)
She needs to talk to him. If she just heard from the "grapevine", about his child, and not from his mouth, obviously they do not talk at all. So.... asking him out on a date wouldn't be a good idea yet at all. Who knows... he may be all hot and stuff...but if she really started talking to him, she could actually find out he is a dork. Better to find out if they would even "click", now, at work, then going out....finding out there is no chemestry, then having to face him at work again. So.......my advice would be to talk to him.
Hmmmmm things she could say....
1. Hey, I hear you go to to the University of California...my cousin (insert fake name) goes there....maybe you know him?
2. Hey, I hear you go to the University of Cali.... what are you studying?
3. I heard your going to Vegas... where are you staying at?? I LOVE that place!!! (or iv'e never been to that one, but I heard it is nice/or sucks, hehehe)
4. I heard your going to Vegas...i'm sooooooo jealous, I have always wanted to go there!!!
5. Ummmmmm. Hey D... are you single?? (Yes, why?) Awe nothing...I just think your soooo hot. (then leave quickly)
6. When all else fails....(I live near Riverside....so I know the weather has been really nice) Hi, D......how bout this weather? It is so nice out! (or HOT out...depending on the day, lol)
My trick. (the pimptress that I am
) I would leave a note, like.......You are sooooooooooo fine, somewhere. In a locker, on his car, on his timecard, etc. etc. Start the secret admirer thing. It works. Every time. (as long as she dosen't go tooo overboard, like stalkerish.)
Anyways.........sending good luck vibes her way!!
Tell us what happens.