Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Elements

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Elements
Of course you could guess by my screen name that I like elements.

I am wondering what you all believe are the basic elements. You know, the antient kinds of elements, not the periodic table stuff.

As for me, I believe elements are the upholders of life. The basics to what we need. And these are the elements I think are the basics.

Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Electricity, and Plant life.

I also kind a put a thought to their attitudes as anger, calm, happy, sad, curious, and fear, in that respective order.

After a while, I have thought twice about this, seeing as how I was a kid when I first thought of it, but I am wondering what you all believe.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Electricity, and Plant life.
Well, the first four were the foundations of theory of alchemy, which promoted a threoy of construction of the universe. By this teory the last 2 elements are extension of the others.
------------------------
The 4 elements (fire, water, earth, air) were considered the basic substances which the world was composed:
Fire was the equivalent to energy;
Water is equated to water, water solutions & possible liquids in general;
Earth was equated as the soil (dust), minerals, etc. which came out of the earth;
Air was that which we breathe, ie. gases & vapors. (smoke & breathe (during cold weather) formed vapor or visible manifested it's being.
---------------------------------
Greek Theory of the atomos is that the substance of our existence could be divided untill it would reached a particle which could no longer be subdivided called today atoms of the elements. By definition & by the early concept atoms were in fact molecules which compsoe all substance.
This Greek philosophy probable origin from observations such that earth metals were mined as ore which was crushed into a grandular powder rinsed with water then the heavier particles were gather and heated into a molten state.
The Age of Bronze was the product of man's finding that copper & bronze (mixture of copper & tin, etc by proportions) produced metal tools and weapons.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 59yrs • M •
deja-who is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
well it has come to the fore that the element in whatever basic form they are percieved can be broken down even further.
we did this once and came up with the atom
then it was the proton and the newtron
now we go deeper and we dont have atoms atall
we now have strings

so what are the basic elements??
it depends on what level you are starting at and which rhelm you are applying these elements too.

example

proton and newtron are basic elements of the atom
and there are many kinds of different atoms

lets go up alevel and the atoms become basic building block of bigger stable moliecule
lets up another level... etc...
and we can keep going up or down depending on what relm you are working within.

72yrs • M •
The concept of atoms as the basic building blocks of composition evolved as various studies of the chemical nature of the substances. Early work had produced the idea of indivisible particules which which form substances (compounds) by some form of bond or interaction.
Example: black powder had been around for a long time, it is a mixture of sulfur (element) salt peter (compound) & charcoal (compounds of vaious carbon molecules). Which had been found to best suited mixed into particular proportions by volume. Work with acid / base & salts produced the idea that the (elements) substances were mixtures (compounds) of various proportions. the search for the elements & their proportions led to Tabulations of elemental composition.
---------------------
The Periodic Table arose from correlating data on weight & multiple composition & chemical properties.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Also, the greeks believed in Elementals. They believed tht we were Elementals of the air because we breathed in air and survived by moving through it. Elementals of earth and fire would live in those elements as we would live in ours. Such as fish breathe in water but die when taken out.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Certain greeks also added 'mind' to the four : fire, earth, air and water.
Each was supposed to be linked to one of the geometric figures with equal sides (triangle, square etc..)

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 72yrs • M •
Interestly the 4 elements are also related to the 4 phases of matter (substance).

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Finally i find someone thats like me. I personally think that the base four elements created the universe then everything else evolved from that and since the elemental magicks i work wiht invole using the base 4 and various subgroups. The subgroups are combonations of the base 4, electricity, plant/life/wood, metal, and ice/fog. So its pretty cool to be talking with you guys.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that AquarianStar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like to by the elements in regards to astrology. It's fascinating how these four elements can be applied to a human personality...

The four elements in astrology are fire, water, air, earth.

Fire signs(Leo, Sagitarrius, Aries) refers to the life energy, life force, spirit, and divine ambition.

Water signs(Scorpio, Pisces, Cancer) connotes emotion, intuition,

Air signs(Aquarius, Libra, Gemini) signify the mind and the abiltiy to think, the thought process, social awareness, mental and social experience,

Earth signs(Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn) relate to ub stance, materiality, and content, practicality, and cultivation.

"Dare to Dream"
Elements
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy