Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Suction

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
binaryfairy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Suction
What would happen if a gaint hose was constracted one end dropped in the ocean and the other pulled up into space?

"Search for truth and find Madness"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Gravity would probably keeps the air in place..
Boring I know

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well i wonder what would happen if the water was sucked through first, just to give it a little extra push. im sure gravity would still win tho but it was a cool thought for a second heh.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How would you keeps the hose in space?

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What would happen if a gaint hose was constracted one end dropped in the ocean and the other pulled up into space?
Nothing
quote:
well i wonder what would happen if the water was sucked through first, just to give it a little extra push. im sure gravity would still win tho but it was a cool thought for a second heh.
Nothing so what purpose would it serve?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If one end were on earth submersed in the ocean, where gravity is present and that force is puching down on the water, and one end was in a no gravity atmosphere, I believe that it would draw the water out.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think it would wes, as long as the water had a little extra push.

we all must be very bored to be putting this much thought into something like this

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
I could be wrong but I vaguely remember in physics class, making a simple (text example) barometer which applies this principle?
The force of gravity at sea (ocean) level is equal to the height of the column of air (atmosphere) above it.
In the original post I had mentioned but deleted a question, 'you are going to buy a water pump, the first thing the salesman asks, Is it a deep well or shallow well?'
Why?
Have you ever tried to siphon gas from a tank? Let's see, you put a gas can on the trunk of the caar and extend a hose into the tank. Then you created a vacumn within the hose lifting the gas unti it starts to flow . Then sealing the end until you stick the hose into the can sitting on the trunk.
The vacumn formed will cause the gas to flow up the hose and into the can, correct?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 41yrs • M •
binaryfairy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
okay okay but space is and endless vacuum so it sucks out the air in the hose followed by the water...well screw it if we could accomplish such feats why don't we just slap a black hole on the end.

"Search for truth and find Madness"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
The vacumn formed will cause the gas to flow up the hose and into the can, correct?
*Example given, the hose is inferred to loop above the level of the tank & down into the can.

the point is that this statement is not correct> you would need to put the gas can on the ground (lower) than the tank.

Siphon works on two principles: pressure differential as represented by the differences in the height & a vacumn.

Similarly,to the air conditioner; the high pressure side compresses the fluid produces heat which cooled by air being blown through a coil & out into the atmospere (outside).
Then the compressed fluid is transfered to the cooling coils & allowed to expand. This expanding fluid (lowering the pressure) draws heat from the air which is circulated inside cooling the air temperature.

Liquids like heat & pressure tend to flow down hill, from higher potential value to lower potential value or to seek it's own level.

Does space have a negative pressure or zero pressure?
Of course, we call it a void (another misuse) but space does contain matter (ie. solar winds, etc) but the relative density is extremely low.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

You caught your own error, he he he, its always better that way anyhow, lol. I have siphoned fuel way more times than I'd like to admit.

With a vacum described as a pressure differential, one thing comes to mind; the positive force/pressure of the weight of the ocean, and Earth's gravity the lack of pressure (vacum) would take the "path of least resistence" like electricity, would it not?

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People, we still don't know how we are going to get the hose up there.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
how we are going to get the hose up there.

Just attach a real long hose to a helium balloon and away we go . . .
Ya, but now we know that it wouldn't work anyway.
quote:
one thing comes to mind; the positive force/pressure of the weight of the ocean, and Earth's gravity the lack of pressure (vacum) would take the "path of least resistence" like electricity,

I'm a little confused by this question so may be we should go back through it,
to see what caused it.
quote:
In the original post I had mentioned but deleted a question, 'you are going to buy a water pump, the first thing the salesman asks, Is it a deep well or shallow well?'

Why?
What difference should the depth of the well point have on
what type of pump you need?
quote:
I think it would wes, as long as the water had a little extra push.

http://www.metabo.com/eb/com/en/produkte/deepwellpump/tbp4000_0250400047
.html

Powerful (deep well) pump for pumping and conveying water from depths up to 55 m. (55m < 180 ft.)
quote:
I have siphoned fuel way more times than I'd like to admit.
Ya the bad thing about using a garden hose is that you can't see the gas level. Bad enough to be huffing on gas fumes, but when you get a mouth full of gas,
that really sucks.

29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you were to put up a hose and take the gas out the pressure at the sea level will be zero and the water will simply boil and when it reaches space the temperature of space will cool down the gas and it will become a super fine crystal powder of water ice!!! gravity can't win if the density of the water is so low as steam, it will simple escape the planet.

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
Suction
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy