It's better to be one rose in a bed of roses than, like, one rose in a bed of weeds - Parisite Hilton
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Gay's

User Thread
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Gay's
I wonder if Gay's find themselves checking out the opposite sex and find themselves attracted to that attribute. Not the person or that sexuality but the thing that straight people look at and nice ass or whatever.

I know when a guy has a nice body or a nice ass.

Do I want it? Hell no.

Do I think it looks good?

Point being do gay's find themselves attracted to the opposite sex's body?

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
do you think a person can be brought up to be gay? i mean, look at some cultures. take the ancient greeks for example--they were pretty much gay as a culture, or at least bisexual. they would marry and use their wives to have kids with but they thought that the womens place was at the house and meanwhile they would go off and have these weird sexual relationships with their male friends. it was real complicated, and i read this short deal about it once, so i dont remember exactly how it all worked.
the point is that they were raised this way, so maybe sexuality is more cultural than we think. i mean, just look at the olden days and in some cultures where men were only attracted to fat women and thought that thinner women looked malnourished and disgusting.
i dont know, but i think that more research needs to be done on what really causes sexual preferences and fetishes and things, because this may lead to some sort of prevention to things like pedaphilia and such.
also in ancient greek culture pedaphilia was considered culturally acceptable, although i think it was in the dialogues of plato(not sure) where socrates or someone was arguing about how sexual acts should not be administered to young boys who havent entered puberty yet. its really interesting.

edited:
ok i didn't do anything to the original post but i can see how some people might think that im saying that gays and pedophiles are the same things, because i lumped them together kind of, which really isn't what i meant to do. basically what i meant was that sexuality itself should be studied, because pedophiles' problems lie in their sexual preference(for children rather than adults). i was pointing out that culture may have something to do with sexual preference, as both homosexuality and pedophilia were practiced by a very large number of ancient greeks(maybe even a majority) and considered normal. thats the only relation i was giving the two--that they are both related to sexual preference, and that they both appear to be somehow influenced by culture by the ancient greeks and others.

"You are reading this."
[  Edited by Windupnostril at   ]
 62yrs • M •
billyboy2674 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
yeah wind you're right.definetely gays are responsible for things like "pedaphilia".If you're close to them you can also catch aids.If one of them coughs near you-you could get hepatitis.
Studies should also be made as to why blacks eat so much fried chicken and dont like to play electric guitars.
Keep on researching those studies wind-you're getting real smart.

41yrs • M •
thanks man--here we go again with this perceived prejudice thing. i wasnt comparing gays to pedaphiles. i never said that gays were bad, i was just stating observable phenomea. its ignorance to deny observable phenomena. i was pointing to the fact that there is evidence to support that sexual preference is influenced by culture. if you deny that there is evidence, then at least present a good argument instead of coming up with these stupid things like im being prejudice to gays, and then further extending it to blacks and whatever else you said. i personally think youre being stereotypical to people who have logical ideas, in that youre assuming that i dislike gays or am saying that they are pedaphiles. i wasn't. i was saying that in order to prevent things like pedaphilia it is inevitable that sexuality must be studied. that is all.
i have nothing against gays, and have a couple of gay and bisexual friends. you cant say anything nowadays without being accused of being prejudiced apparantly.

"You are reading this."
 47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pv_emerald14 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wind,

I looked at the first line of your post and I would like to know where you get that this is about prejudices. As far as I can tell the topic is about if you think that gays might look at someone of the opposite sex and think that they are good looking or something.

I myself have seen several women that I think are very pretty but wouldn't want to be with them. I think it's a natural part of life to look at someone and say "Hey he/she is cute" but not want to do anything with them be it same sex or not or same sexual pref or not.

Em

""Live life to the fullest!""
 41yrs • M •
well i was responding to the post right above mine, not to the beginning of the thread.
i guess i did get off topic a little, but my point is that i think(and this is just my opinion, so please dont blast me for trying to state false information or something, ppl) that everyone is a little gay--i mean, everyone has the capacity to be attracted to someone of the same sex a little, and the amount is probably determined biologically. however, due to cultural norms, in childhood most people leaning toward the heterosexual side learn to stifle these urges. people who are biologically tuned more to the homosexual side tend to not be able to stifle these urges as easily, and eventually they grow to recognize that they are attracted to the same sex.
the only backing i have for this is the diversity of whole cultural groups to be attracted to different things in people in different areas of the world and historical time periods.
im sorry if it may have sounded like i was implying that gays and pedaphiles were one and the same--theyre entirely different issues, although i will still say that i think that they are (and can be) both influenced by both biology and culture.

"You are reading this."
 62yrs • M •
billyboy2674 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
lol-you just cant say"gay"without mentioning"pedaphiles" can you?
for your info you cant even spell "pedaphile"right.go to the dictionary.Just like emerald said,you went way off topic because you clearly wanted to be a bigot.
Go back to your studies man-try and learn before you speak.

41yrs • M •
ooh, the anger
sorry about making you all read these long-ass posts, but i have a lot to say right now.
gay straight pedophile necrophile dendrophile
its all about sexual preference--if recognizing that means that im being a bigot, then i guess im a bigot, but personally i dont think i said anything stereotypical. if i did, well damn, i apologize, because i surely didn't mean to.
its closed minded people like these that see the word gay in the same paragraph as the word pedaphile(sorry if i dont know how to spell it, but as you can see, im also typing in all lowercase so if you can understand the word i think thats all that matters) and all of a sudden think im saying that gays are pedophiles. i didnt say anything negative about gays at all--its not my fault youre so sensitive, but please dont attack my argument with meaningless words that dont have any basis whatsoever. "youre a bigot, you said gays and pedephile in the same paragraph so that means you're a bigot, you moron who pretends to be smart!" if you really want to dispute me, at least come up with a better argument than this for chrissake. this is the last im going to respond to you unless you can argue with me in an adult manner.
in short, im sorry, billy boy, if im being prejudiced against your unfounded opinions.
oh, and here's an outside resource for my info on the greek culture thing:
www.wam.umd.edu/~ninad/school/engl265/GreekSexuality.htm
also should check out the Symposium dialogue in the Dialogues of Plato.

p.s. sorry for sort of stealing the thread from you firebird, i was originally planning on responding to your post more closely than i did but i kind of got off track.
ever see those bow-flex commercials where it shows a close up of a nice ass and youre thinking, "damn, that's a nice ass" and it zooms out and its a guy? pretty disturbing.

still, i dont think i got "way" off topic. firebird was talking about where beauty lies, and sort of what we find attractive in our sexual preferences and how they come together to form a whole attractive person. this ties in with our sexual preferences and why we have those preferences, which is what i was speculating about.

"You are reading this."
[  Edited by Windupnostril at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think beauty is beauty. whether it be in nature or in the same or opposite sex, we can recognize beauty in many shapes and forms. each person has their own personalized definition of what beauty is tho. so some gays may be able to see beauty in the opposite sex. just as some heteros are able to see beauty in the same sex.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 62yrs • M •
point taken wind-I'm not one to argue for the sake of argument.If you're not a bigot-then fantastic-more power to you.Thx for the link but Ive read so much on this subject through the years I'm tired of it-lol.
Just for the sake of knowledge,homosexuality and pedophilia are as far apart as they could be.Two far different subjects-do a little research and you'll see.So even though I'm not gay I thought your first post was somewhat lacking of fundamentals.
S'all god man-take care and may God bless.

41yrs • M •
hmmm actually i think i will do a little research on this because i really find it fascinating. ill admit i havent read anything more about it than some web-sites and the link and the dialogues of plato and my psychology text, and i kind of formed my own theory based on these and just common sense, but maybe im wrong, i guess. thats why its an opinion. i was just pissed because i was being called a bigot unfairly. thats all. glad thats cleared up and all. sorry for being hostile for a while there, billyboy, no hard feelings.

"You are reading this."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I understand what you mean by needing to know why people have perverse desires.
Perverse, is something from off the norm. Before anyone misunderstands.

Anyway, I am betting they look. Remember Anne Heche making that movie '7 days, and 6 nights'...or whatever the name was. She was physically sttracted to 'Harrison Ford' and that caused a huge blow out with Ellen Gegenres.
In the end, Anne left Ellen, and married a man. Wrote a book how she was insane when she was a lesbian. etc.

Hmmm, wonder if this possible.

Although, may I add, I had 5 gay friends, of the 5 ~ two died of AIDS. and one married with a child now. Happily. And two who is seeing women exclusively now.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 1957yrs • M •
Hiram Abiff is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Firebird, I understood it, Gays are attracted to the 'same sex' not the 'opposite sex' so I am afraid I am somewhat confused by your post.

Are you trying to say that homosexual tendencies have purely superficial motives? If so I don't think that you will find any psychologists that will agree with you. Homosexuality is more to do with the way one 'feels'. Physical attraction of course has a role to play but only in the same way that it does for heterosexuals. Homosexuality also has little to do with sexual practise for the same reason. Sexual orientation or sexuality accords to the way individuals 'feel' themselves to be rather than what they are superficially attracted to.

"Lux et Tenebris"
 1957yrs • M •
Hiram Abiff is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Wind, I must ask you are you confusing sensuality with gender? I feel that there are strong reasons to associate gender with cultural influences but sexuality is a different matter. That being said case studies on children with Hermaphroditeism are brought up as either mail or female. Even after surgery to construct the appropriate sex for that gender some subjects revert to the opposite gender. So it would appear that gender is not jut cultural but has a biological component. I feel the same may be said of sexuality in so far that there is a biological component involved. However where the is some evidence to suggest culture has an effect upon gender, there is no evidence (that I know of at any rate) to suggest that culture has a similar effect upon sexuality. Naturally some cultures maybe more tolerant towards sexual diversity that others but that is another affair. So I would sy the answer to your question is 'no'.

P.S. I think, the Platonic dialog, that you were trying to refer to, is 'The Symposium'.

"Lux et Tenebris"
 41yrs • M •
well no, i was actually talking about sexual orientation, not gender. although i do think the two may be connected in several ways, i don't know.
i just thought it was interesting how the greeks, when okaying homosexual relationships between men, seemed to engage in it on a mass scale. there is a similar cultural homosexuality norm in india (between men only; with women it is considered a horrendous taboo). basically, the common belief in india is that men will and do have sex with other men--it is no big deal, so men engage in it, but also marry and have sex with women. it is, however, considered a disgrace for a man to go with other men exclusively, because his duties as a man are to raise a family and produce offspring. i guess the culture just sees homosexual acts between men as a sort of pass-time, something to do.
it just seems like when a culture makes it a norm for homosexuality to occur it happens more often and bisexuality is more common. the black and white separations between straight and gay seem to break down a little. so i still think that culture does play a part in sexual orientation, as it does in other psychological things, and that it is not completely biological. just another example of nature vs. nurture.

"You are reading this."
Gay's
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy