Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do teens find Chruch Boring? - Page 3

User Thread
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Read the news....
Each month another disaster occurs, and you want neon lights to make yourselves be able to 'get into' God...and what He wants.

O boy. This is why He is so displeased with the world today. So I hear, it is worse than the times of Noah.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know this is going off topic, but I just want to say that God, according to what I believe, doesn't send natural disasters as a punishment necessarily. We have to look beyond the calamity and look at its effects. For example, Turkey was hit with an earthqauke that demolished cities. Now, the government is improving their building materials by setting higher standards, which may end up saving more lives. From an article that I read, the Turkish people felt more connected to one another and to God after the earthquake. So the positive effects overcome the damage caused by the disaster.

But back to the thread, you have to know where to draw the line between being religious and being ridiculous (*cough* neon lights *cough*) But some churhces need to change (without abandoning their religious prinicples) if they want to draw more teens to connect to God. Youth groups are great. How about something more social and less preachy like an ice-cream social?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"O boy. This is why He is so displeased with the world today. So I hear, it is worse than the times of Noah."

No, he's pissed because we follow lying, muderous, tyrants and call them leaders and idols.

He knows power is what corrupts, not poverty. Poverty creates revolutionaries, not criminals.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
Hey, I started a new thread to further discuss why God would allow calamities to kill thousands of innocent people, if anyone's interested. I don't want this thread to go off topic.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 56yrs • F •
Ok, on the point of teens...they are already unsettled in all facets of life.

This is where 'self discipline' becomes in gr8 need, and meditation could be just what they need.

Teens are at a point where they know the world doesnt revolve around them, but they teeter between 'dependence and independence'

They are unsettled...

Ever wonder why they say poltergiests are attracted to teens?

They have a rebellous nature, and are cutting their way in life. This is the time that makes or breaks their future...and what they become.

NOT saying in time they wont enjoy the peace and restitude church offers, but their hormones are in a mess.

Meditation and reflection must be taught from within.

'This too shall pass' as they say.....BUT neon lights, and stuff..?
With too much distraction, they will further push God from within.

Quiet and solitude are the most refreshing to one's soul.
Puters, tv, games, entertainment in all forms are distractions.

HOW about that...? DID I bring it back?

quote:
No, he's pissed because we follow lying, muderous, tyrants and call them leaders and idols.
Sounds like Saddam....

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The church I attend is a pretty good mix of neon lights and Bible scripture. We start off with a modern, and surprisingly good, band. Then the pastor talks primarily about applying Christianity to world events. We use plays and music to illustrate the points. The youth group is amazing. Some of the best discussions I've had have happened in that youth group.

I agree Patrish that solitude is not only important but absolutely nessasary to a relationship with God, but lets face it, teens are restless, and they need something to make the message stick.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 56yrs • F •
Then why do we blame church for being boring...if it is the unstillness in the teen?

Church groups are different than church....right?

I mean you meet for a purpose to discuss God, where as IN church is the solo time of the preacher to teach.

Well, where I go, it is called Mass (Group) and we have three readings.
The Old Testament which is the prophecy to the Gospel of Jesus.
We then have the New Testament which speaks of how Christ brought the prophecy to life, and what it means.
And we have the Gospel of Christ..and HOW He spoke in regards to His teachings and how He was the Messiah...etc

We have the Priest then do his Homily, which is the teaching of how the three combined conclude how Christ is the Messiah and how we are to act.
SO, then we have the Eucharist....
AND we have songs and psalms of praise for God and the Lord Jesus.

Pretty nice package.

BUT if you are too busy fidgeting and thinking about your boyfriend or whatever, you are missing the point and you are being distracted.

AND this is the problem, NOT the church, but the individual.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sounds like Saddam....

Get off your saddam trip, he's gone, we put him in power, we coddled, aided, funded, and armed him through all his terrible atrocities. During the point where most of the people who are under Bush now were under Reagan, its the same people, and they were called the crazies back then, now they are writing laws.

They aren't the problem, we are.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
quote:
AND this is the problem, NOT the church, but the individual.
But isn't it the duty of the church to call people to God? If they clergymen/women are not fulfilling their duty by not appealing to teens, then the problem is with them.

38yrs • F •
chilled_v is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
leftwood... you make a good point, many times over. If you ever visit the UK i'll take you for a cuppa. P.s Please hound Attolia, he/she/(who cares) is really starting to annoy me.

xx Cv

"le_400eme_coup"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
in a thread concerning memories the point was made that if the same experiences from childhood were re-lived by you during your current age/state-of-mind, the "memory" of that experience would be different.

the perspective is the impression maker.

teens (for a larger percentage) conflict with "sunday church"/ can handle a "youth group" sevice with a focus on entertaing things not pertaining to god. they've yet to form the habbit of religion and especially those WAY'S OF THINKING. the good points any religion does catch is invisible to these independent thinkers because their minds are tuned-in elsewhere... thinking there is nothing worthwhile to be seen creates nothing worthwhile to be seen, vice versa.

a smaller percentage of adults agree with god and even less observe/discuss their point of view between common opinion holders in an organized way ...and concerning those common views/ there are more differing opinions inside the bible based religions than outside...

i don't blame the kids for not in-FORMing themselves with the ridiculous, DEAD, and well-worn opinions that have been passed

down

down
---------------------------------------------------------

WAY DOWN until our mentality is below the mark, and once again staring at a starting line

we sit far from understanding because each saw a new insight, legitimate as it were, as the final point to be made.

Now that we have seen it all, we can close our eyes!

they came so far just to interrupt the process. laziness at convenience's expense is what i blame myself and other devout christhipocrites for. intelligent people might have come up with the ideas, but they stopped to insert head-in-ass eventually. that's the only sin i see myself being "born into". (evolution's fault tho- a genetic mutation even if it was mostly mental) ....

- pull it out and take a look aroud, there is much to see-

each moment it's something else, something new. as was mentioned earlier, it all depends on the way you look at it.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 36yrs • F •
Good pont, iSought. Teens generally don't believe that they need God in their lives now. Why? Has life become so comfortable that they don't need to turn to a higher power for help?

Personally, I'm not too worried about teens not going to church. I'm worried that they'll ignore their spiritual needs and deny themselves of the joy that comes from beliefs (whether it is in monotheism, polytheism, whatever).

True, a lot of people nowadays have also become cynical of churches and Bible teachings. And then you also have the scandals, such as the Catholic priests who were molesting young boys (this was a huge issue here in Massachusetts).

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 38yrs • M •
phuckit is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
As a teenager that's been to church I can confirm that it is quite boring.

"hail satan"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
Why do teens find Chruch Boring? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy