As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities - Voltaite
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Disturbing mirrors

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Disturbing mirrors
Hey ppl. Well, Some time ago I use used to have this weird feeling sometimes when i looked into a mirror. At first I thought I was crazy, but when I asked other people about it, they said sometimes it happened to them too.
At first I couldn't find out what the hell it was, but recently I realized what happens : First u stare at a mirror for long enough. As u are looking in the mirror, u are seeing.... your self. Now, since you are seeing your self in front of you, then you start wondering who are you then, what is that voice in your head if your are there. This just creates a really awosome and very very disturbing intense feeling. Normally you can't take it and move away, but once I kept on staring at myself, and MAN OH MAN!, it was completley nerve rattling! It was like I was in some other dimension or something.

How many of you have had this Paradoxima(thats what i choose to call it, since it isn't in the dicionary) while looking into the mirror?

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 1957yrs • M •
Nothing Real is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Every sunday evening I do it for, how long depends. It is an amazing "look" at the world I live in and I use it to reflect(sorry) on who am I, what am I, am I and basicly to go off into a mad one in my mind. How often do people really look at 'themselves' in a world full of distractions. One of these 'inner looks' while eating certain mushrooms completly,changed/showed/opened /I don't know, my mind foever. It is not just shiny glass for vanity

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah man I hear you! Mirrors can totally wreak your mind! It is like a portal to a different realm an alternate universe where everything is spelled wrong.
I is truely strange to stare at oneself- but what is weird when you get really close to a mirror and look into your own eyes it is sureal. I think mirrors have spell bound people always there is such a mythology to them...

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • M •
Yeah. Its so terrifying if you look yourself straight in the eyes! As I said, it's because you think that thats another person.
Mirror mythology? Havn't heard of anyway, anyone know any?

35yrs • M •
Meditation, i.e buddhisim etc, states that we have to discover our true selves, by letting go of our 'illusionary self', i.e, our personality. Whatever I did 5 years ago, my coming exam, my face, my brain, they are all the illusionary self, not the real me. So when you look into the mirror, you get seperated from your personality, and so thats where the fear comes from, because we have suddenly experianced that 'we' are not real, you have lost your false self, your identity, and that results in fear.
Btw, you can practcie getting that feeling withought looking into the mirror too.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know what you mean. Sometimes if I stare at myself via the mirror, I transfer into a different thought realm, where all my sensual surroundings disperse and I am with one. When I stare, I stop seeing what I am staring at. Instead I explore my 'real' internal realm. Its a useful way of experiencing a form of self actualisation.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Didn't work for me. But I was stoned.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
when i did drugs(in the past)....i used to take acid and just sit in front of a mirror. it's a great experience...i highly recomend it for any of you who partake in such activities...but, now that i no longer use any chemical substances,mirrors are still a strange,sometimes frightening thing for me......when i look at myself long enough in a mirror things become different,distorted....i start feeling as though im looking at someone else, or that i dont really exist....it's hard to explain....i also sometimes see a glimps of someone walking behind me in the mirror, weather it's my imagination or someting more mysteriouse and complex im not sure

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Never taken acid but i used to eat shrooms a lot, and it is a great time looking in the mirror. Be warned though, you'll see yourself how you deeply "see" yourself. Not to be this way, but because of how fake a lot of people (in my drug experience more often females) are about who they truly are it freaks a lot of people out and they stay the hell away from mirrors. Once i was meditating and i was in pretty deep, i kind of acted like there was a mirror in front of me but not physically and ohh so slowly put my hand "through" it and i could feel my other self reaching back at the same rate i was reaching forward. This was probably the result of the total control you have over your braind and body while meditating and you could probably make your body feel anyhting you wanted but it's not fun to think that way. Hawking says that all matter has anti-matter and if you ever see yourself and they reach their left hand out don't shake it. Maybe when you look in the mirror you are seeing that.. Ever seen Donnie Darko?

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 37yrs • M •
Yes, Donnie Darko. When every time he takes one, dry, in front of his bathroom mirror, he starts to hear the urgings of 'Frank,' who sounds like a kid talking through a fan and appears as a man in a dark grey, toothy bunny suit

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Which is his "other" self. Dry, haha he does swallow kinda funny too doesnt he.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 37yrs • M •
he does indeed, hehe.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ever since i saw moth man prophocies i have been scared to look in the mirror when it goes from dark to light. one of the characters, the farmer guy, said, "last night when i looked in the mirror, i wasn't lookin' back. and i dont know what the hell it was, but i know it wasn't human."

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
very interesting what all of u have said.

quote:
. When I stare, I stop seeing what I am staring at. Instead I explore my 'real' internal realm. Its a useful way of experiencing a form of self actualisation

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, instead of really looking in front of u, you start to look into yourself-who is the person that is looking.

But these feelings that one has, through mediatation you can 'look into yourself' withought a mirrior. can u do that summit? and presuming you practice meditation, how far have you reached in realizing yourself?

People who have these sort of experiances with mirrors have real potential for spirituality. The feeling that I had when I looked into the mirror, and even after that, for a couple of seconds not knowing who I was, initially it really disturbed me and I conciously started to ignore it, but I started to read up on spirituality, and by now I ve really experainced and realized alot.

quote:
you'll see yourself how you deeply "see" yourself

Yes fin, the 'fear' only arises because you are in unfamiliar territory. At that point you don't know who or what the hell are you, and your precpetion of reality takes a bang.

My advice is that try to understand it, otherwise there's little chance you will realize what is really going on here. Read books on spirituality, preferabely 'the power of now' first, if it is available to you.

37yrs • M •
quote:
But these feelings that one has, through mediatation you can 'look into yourself' withought a mirrior. can u do that summit? and presuming you practice meditation, how far have you reached in realizing yourself?

Yes I can to some extent. It is however difficult in determining how far I have achieved in dissolving the duality between the self and the world so that oneness can be attained. Usually I focus on the method of centering. In this form, attention to the outside world is gradually withdrawn until no longer is there attachment to the sights, and events of the outside world. When the causes of thoughts, emotions, and sensations cease to stir my mind becomes still, and then centerering can begin. The center is intangible and cannot be localised in the body. This has allowed me to at least experience a form of self actualisation, and the balance and centre of the nature of things...the Tao.

Disturbing mirrors
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy