The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. - Stanislaw Jerszy Lec
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Speed Of Time

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Speed Of Time
You must have seen those movies with various devices that slow down time. Well, imagine that you are playing a cricket match, and slow down time with a special watch, so that you have more time to play the ball, But if everything slows down, then physially you would also slow down. However, EVERYTHING slows down, then your brain power must be reduced, so to you everything must be happening at normal speed.
So is it neccessary that time can only go at the speed it appears to us? I mean, to some other being(in general, from another universe or something), everything thing would appear to be going very slow, but to us the speed of time would appear normal!
So, what do you ppl think?

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Slow Time-
I think there would be a lot to consider if you could slow down time - like what about movementwhen we move around the fluididty of air allows easy movement but is that is all slow would it be a struggle just to walk or move your arm if those molecules are on the slow boat to China? what about sound waves? sound would be so crazy.
In the Movie spider man I liked the scenes in which he was in a high school fight and time was fine but his reactions were super fast those were wild scenes. I wonder if that is how pro atheletes preceive things- as they are more dexterous than the average person?

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • M •
Yes, what about the slowing down of air and making it difficult for us to move. But for example, if you move your air in 'slow time', it will move slower, but the electrical signal from your hand to your brain will also get slower, so you won't notice any difference! Same will be the case with sound, our brain activity will not be fast enough to notice any diference, because it itself would have slowed down.

35yrs • M •
in the second sentence I put air instead of hand.

So, does every one agree with me that the speed of time isn't absolute? However, then was the initial decision of the speed of time artibary?I dont think so, because perhaps this is the speed required for life,and a stable working of the universe.

36yrs • M •
RellyRell is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I dont think the speed of time is aboslute. Like when your in school and all your clases are equal amount of time yet some go by fast and some slow. I think it has to do with the amount of activity in your brain.

45yrs • F •
THE DUDE is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think the spped of time is relative. Time is going slow if your brain is acting faster than everything around it. Slow animals like snails see everythig going fast, but animals with faster metabolism and movements see things goin slower. its all relative.

"I WILL DEBATE!!!"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good point DUDE! So faster animals have a greater reaction time so does this apply to physical limitations- my idea being would more inteligent animals preceive different stimuli faster ?eg. would a math wiz have more cognitive time to solve a mathmatical problem than the average Joe- (does that point make any sense ?)

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • M •
Yeah, a mathimatical whiz would have more time, because he would not have to ponder and think over things that a average joe would , like trying to remember which formolae to use etc, he'll already be familiar with the questions, and so his brain activity will be faster, thus making it seem to him that he has ample amount of time.
Yes, the more intelligent you get, the faster your brain activity, thus to you everything would be going slow, as increase in brain activity also means things like images from your eyes travelling to you brain quickly etc. For example, if a bird flaps it's wings, it would appear to you that it is really slow, because your processing capability would be high, and compared to before, light would seem slower!

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
birds have greater heart rate and energy level & shorter life spand; large mammals have slower heart and energy levels & longer lifes?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that rschulz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time cannot be slowed down because there is no such thing as time. Here's my proof:

The past is gone so it does not exist anymore.
The future is not here yet so it does not exist.
There is no time in the present b/c it can not be measured in the present since the present conote the current state of affair the world is now in.
Therefore, if time does not exist in the past, present, or future, then time does not exist.

"Morals here. Get your morals. Only cost...your freedom."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Post that in the "Does time really exist" thread =O

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 35yrs • M •
I'd love to but where is it?!
Anyway, Time is an abstract concept. We r not saying that time slows down, we r talking about wheather our perception of it slows down or speed up.
Well rschulz, if you really believe what you said, then you r also saying that we do not exist!!Our future does'nt exist, our past doesn't exist, we cannot measure our selves in the present, so what u r saying means that we do not exist in the past, present or future!And I am almost certain that I exist.

Anyway, I was wondering, the longer a person lives, the shorter time seems to him?I mean, to a 4 year old, 2 years may seem as a lot, but for a 90 year old, 2 years would be next to nothing?Agreed? Now, it is said in many reiligions that To God a year here seems as one day. But why one day? If He has existed forever, wouldn't that mean that 10000 years would seem as one second to Him?But if God has existed forever, wouldn't an infinite amount of time(i.e till the universe ends along with time) seem as 1 second to Him?But why one second, why not 0.0001 seconds or something? But why 0.0001 seconds, why not 0 seconds?! Can an infinite amount of time(lets say the future) seem as 0 seconds to him, which means the present?
Whenever I have asked this nobody replies, so please atleast say something, even if it is just telling me that my head has gone bonkers.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that rschulz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Angel, I do not think you cease to exist if there is no time in the future, past, or present. What I do think is that each individual point in time is connected with a point in space. Time for a thought experiment!

If you view a movie reel you notice that 10 frames of the movie will look very similar. For example, a man picking up a cup of coffee. The difference is that out of those 10 frames in the 1st his coffee cup is on the table and in the 10 the coffee cup is at his mouth. At each 'spacetime' point there was a independent amount of space set aside for each movement of the coffee mug as it traveled to the mans mouth namely frames 1 - 10.

The fact that people perceive something to have a differnt heart rate, or life span does not change the rate at which space and time exist. And I think the fact of the matter is that there is only one reality that all living things participate in but at the same time not everyone perceives/experiences that reality in the same way. This being the case, if a year does seem 'a day' to God it's only because he chooses to perceive it that way not because it actaully is that way.

"Morals here. Get your morals. Only cost...your freedom."
 35yrs • M •
gomez is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Surely the concept of time itself is man made sure enough things do come to pass but maybe we are looking at in the wrong way maybe because of the "human" way of time we are misssing some key fact or pointer, Could it have anything to do with the speed of the earth?
I like the thoerys on time being longer in those more inteligent it seems to make sence, is time a 6th sence though if locked in a completely white room would we stil have any perseption of time?

48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think its fine if its at night when it slows down. lol

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
Speed Of Time
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy