The difference between McHollywood and McDonalds: McHollywood is big on recycling. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Forgiveness

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Forgiveness
"Anyone who has ever been victimized-and that includes victims of crime, accident victims, adult survivors of childhood abuse, political prisoners, and so on-must decide whether or not to forgive the perpetrator. There can be no middle ground to this decision: either you decide to forgive the person who hurt you, or you hold on to bitterness and anger.

Holding on to bitterness and anger can cause problems of their own, so if you have ever been victimized, being able to forgive your victimizer is a crucial part of your healing."

I read this on some website and it really made me think .....

What is forgiveness ? is it just "letting things go", but how do you feel as you let them go ? do they leave a print on your heart ? how long is it there for ?
There is only so much you can take right ? Is there only so much you can forgive ? Are there things that can never be REALLY forgiven ? Or could you let everything go if you really wanted ? Does just DECIDING to forgive someone do it, or do you need more ?
What about asking for forgiveness ? how much does it do ? is it better to ask for forgiveness then to just try to walk over things ? i think it is, so why don't we ? Why do some people never say sorry ?

If you have an answer to any of the questions, please post it ....
thank you and enjoy thinkin

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pv_emerald14 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In most cases I can and do forgive pretty easy. Most every time I will forgive once and give the person a second chance. However when you blow that second chance it's extremely hard for me to forgive. 99% time I never forgive a second time. The way I do it the first time is I believe that everyone messes up and deserves a second chance but when they keep repeating their mistakes they obviously don't care about you or they wouldn't keep hurting you the way they are.

Em

""Live life to the fullest!""
 37yrs • F •
what if you love someone ?

47yrs • F •
Even when it is someone they love be it a family member, friend or a partner they can only take so much. When your love is abused to often you stop being able to forgive. Atleast that is how I am.

Em

37yrs • F •
so does the 3rd time rule apply to members of the family ? do you forgive them more ?
like do we just tell ourselves : " 1st time let it go, 2nd time well maybe you fucked up again shit happens, 3rd time that's it " or do you think that's just how we are ?
do you believe that people change ?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
people rarely change, i agree everyone is entitled to a second chance, but more often then not they mess up again. i dont just say "thats it" tho, ill stick by people no matter how much they screw up. my perception of them definately changes after their second "mishap" and the relationship changes significantly, but i never leave people in the dark or tell them off or anything of that nature.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 47yrs • F •
I have a habit of telling family to go to hell then thinking that they are family and that family is most times all that you have. Yet this being the case I have several family members that I am not real close to and could live without but I will bite my tongue when around and not make them feel unwanted. I distance myself from the family who basically screw me and keep telling me lies.

Em

40yrs • F •
sapphire03 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Forgiveness is a hard thing for most people. Some acts are unforgiveable and others are very easy to forgive. I have been through many situations where I had to decide whether to forgive someone or not and it has always been hard to know if I did the right thing. However, family has not always been there for me and usually family is the hardest to forgive because they have screwed me one too many times.

For a long time I have felt that friends is all someone has. Family doesn't mean anything and won't be there when you need them, but I am starting to learn differently.

"When you don't want to live, life never seems to end. When you want to live, life seems to stand still."
 47yrs • F •
I have to admit Sap, in your case family has not always been there for you. I am glad that you are learning differently!!!!!!!

Em

37yrs • F •
Thanks for the responces guys
i'm happy with you answers because well i think almost the same way
only there is one more thing that i'd wanna get deeper into
you say you decide to forgive someone ....
but after you decide you don't really forgive right away - it takes time
and sometimes people say they forgive someone but they really don't, they just close their eyes on something for a while and then they bring the subject up again ......... i wouldn't call that forgivness
AND there are cases when you decide not to forgive someone, but after a while you're not really mad at them anymore and all you need at that point is for them to say "sorry" and you'd say " don't worry about it " ... and if they don't you're just kinda upset because they didn't but yo're not really mad at them for what they did
what do u think ?

47yrs • F •
I would agree with you there mia. There are the cases where someone says they forgive but really don't, and the cases where they want to forgive but won't until the other person makes the first move.

If/when I decide to forgive or not to forgive that's the way it is. In many cases with like my family I never or eventually forgive for some things and they know it. Just because I can't forgive for somethings doesn't mean that I won't talk to them for the rest of their lives. Family means more to me than friends. Yet there are some family members that I talk to strictly because of my younger siblings.

Em

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have learned a great lesson on this one. It makes no sense, but it does work. A protestant layleader in the Navy taught me this and I do it all the time.

Pray for your enemy. It will do you a world of good. Trust me, you will stop hating them and you will feel better. They can still be your enemy and you don't have to trust them. But you will no longer have those ill feelings twords them that hurt you.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • F •
okcitykid that sounds fun even though it's weird ...

and i have one more question for you guys
what is it that makes you forgive most of the times ?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
simply put, life is to short.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time and space. Just leave me alone, I'll get over it.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
Forgiveness
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy