Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Artificial Intelligence

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
EvilShadow is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Artificial Intelligence
I've been writing an Artificial Intelligence theory for nearly six years now. Soon, I think I may be able to make a computer "dream." Basically, do you guys think that a computer could ever think like a human being.
I'm pretty sure when I say this, but isn't an emotion simply a thought we were taught before we learned how to speak. In a class the other day, I learned we can only remember as far back as we knew some form of language. So wouldn't an emotion simply be something we thought and remember ... but can't explain?
I know that doesn't make much sense ... but if you understand what I'm getting at, then, you could see that computers will not only be able to think as good as us, but feel.

"Time ... who cares?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Pugsl3yB0y is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well another 16 year old. ~lol~
I believe that a computer will never be able to "think" like a human being. In order to think like a human you must be one. A computer, no matter how intelligent, will always be a machine and nothing more. They will not be able to comprehend with the human nature of feeling and emotion. And without that you can not think or act like a human being. You can copy or "act out" the process but never the actual, real thing.

"Knowing the true knowledge of an answer is first understanding the knowledge of the question."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gothabomber is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
interesting notion
but maybe computers could be made to feel the same emotions we do i mean we know through "scientifical" breakthroughs ( dont quote me on totaly agreeing with science) that feelings and emotions are just chemicals and nerve impulses in the brain, if we can almost closly link the human brain into robotic form we could no doubt imitate these emotions. No doubt there is still alot o work and planning needin done on the subject o Artificial Inteligence but if people would be less scared and skeptical of the idea then major progress could be made.

"everything but never anything"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
AI would have no internal free will. humans have the capacity to jump from one thought to a completely different thought where as AI would only be able to make such jumps if they had already been programmed in... our jumps are limitless. just a thought of mine

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
but is there any reason to suggest why machines minds may not be alterd to be limitless???

40yrs • M •
i dont see a machine being able to add new data into itself either, like if one traveled to the other side of the universe and found a new material what/how would it name that new material? im not trying to say that the whole concept is impossible, i like the idea a lot actually, i just think there are a lot of flaws left to be worked out... many of which im hesitant to say can be solved

37yrs • M •
gd point

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How will you make a computer dream? Are you sure you can do that. AI is a fun topic. There was a movie I remeber watching where they made a boy robot with human emotions, it was the first of its kind. I think if can be done, those envolved should watch that movie for the sake of good ethics.

But I agree with Wyote, I don't see how it can be done. We can give them the apearance of emotions, that will come soon enough, but the real thing? Maybe a dog or a cat, but not a human.

We don't understand our own selves, we will have to do that first before we can even think about duplicating us.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the human brain is basically just a complex computer. how do we know that real "feeling" isn't experienced in some sense by all ordered systems(ie things that have a purpose that they "strive" for, like computers and humans--a sense of purpose i guess is what i mean)? after all, that's basically what both computers and human brains have in common-the bias they have as to what end their going to meet. humans program this goal into the computer, and it has no choice but to act according to its programming. however, i for one don't think that humans have any "choice" but to stick to their "programming," as well. we act according to how we have learned to act, and assuming that there is any choice in the matter is kind of arrogant. after all, our brains are nothing but neurons connecting to one another, just as computers consist of chips and circuits connecting to one another. the actual feelings and sense of experience that we have is the result of electrical/chemical interactions in our brains, or at least seems to run parallel to it. it has been predicted that by the year 2025 or so computers will be just as complex as the human brain is, so this will probably be a real issue in the future. still, i think it is ignorance to state that just because something is not "human" or biologically "alive" it is impossible for it to have any feeling. where is the evidence in this? we still don't even know what it is that causes feeling, except that it has something to do with a bias between "good" and "bad." without this bias, there really wouldn't be anything to "feel."

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
complacentcey(sp) in itself is a feeling isnt it?

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do you remember the show 1999. It was before your time. It never even came close to coming true. And in the field of computers we are way behind (I believe).

I think we can imitate animals, but us - no. I think we are more complicated then we realize, and until we realize it, we aint going to create anything like it. For example: Most of my life I smoked cigarettes, then I quit. Cigarettes are very addictive. There is no animal on this earth that will smoke cigarettes, and if there was, that animal would not be able to quit. We would not be able to create a computer to do this either.

You, and many like you, do not believe in the human soul. Trust me, when you create that computer just like the human brain and boot it up, you'll find that it is just like all the other animals, but not like us at all. Because that part that makes us (us), you cannot create. At least, not for a very, very long time. We have still much to learn about ourselves.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
yeah but animals and humans are different in the way we think becuase of diferent parts of the brain we have and dont have, animals dont have the parts of our brain that get addicted or process moral thoughts the same as we do, animals would merely be killed or damaged by the nicotene cuas eof the way there bodys are thats why they dont eat tobacco plants. The human brain and condition is a very complex thing indeed and no doubt at this era in time were are unable to harness such means as to bea able to make a computer feel and imitate as humans do... but with more extensive research into the issue and more progress well may be able to solve the mystery of the human brain and imprint its values and qualitys into comouters

40yrs • M •
would robots have karma?

im goin with okcitykid on this one, i wont say there is a "soul" but there is definately a "something" extra that humans have which is many many years away from even scratching the surface of whatever it really is.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, i never said i didn't believe in the human soul...i just am not very clear on my definition of this thing called a soul. if youre talking religiously, then, no, i am not a religious person, but not exactly an atheist. i do believe in experience, though--because i know that i experience. thats it. i know that i have a brain that is intricate and i am pretty sure that all of my behaviors can be explained by activity within the brain (if it couldn't, what would be the purpose of having a brain to begin with?) i guess i am strictly focused on logic. i dont believe in things that dont logically make sense to me, like just assuming that humans have these unique souls and that other animals dont. i think human behavior is a lot more complicated than animal behavior, because our brains are a lot more complex. however, i do realize that there is this inner, abstract mind, this experience, that is separate from the brain itself(i am sort of a dualist, but i have only reached this belief through logic). i am not saying that people who have these illogical beliefs are bad--im just saying that if computers do some day(maybe in 20 years, maybe in 300 years) become as complex as the human brain and act just like humans do, people should view it with an open mind instead of just assuming that because theyre not human they arent as good as humans or as whole "spiritually." it is clear that the brain and the mind intermingle somehow, and how that takes place noone is for certain--so if a computer is as advanced as the human brain, i dont see any reason to assume that they dont have minds like humans do as well and actually feel the same as we do. i know this kind of dashes human pride, but sometimes this is necessary.

"You are reading this."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So you have been working on this since you were 11?

Mankind will have to basicly create intelligence- so this is about human achievment not computer's. Anyway we do not yet understand our own intelligence so will this be possible without fully understanding what we are looking for?
Also with inteligence - will AI have emotions will it ask who am I will it be depressed or hyper? hatefull or humourous?

There is a qoute in the quote area by Firebird it goes "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity" I love that Kind of like HAL Vs. windows.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
Artificial Intelligence
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy