To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me. - Rev. Charles William Stubbs
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Frontiers of Quantum Mechanics

User Thread
 49yrs • M •
Plato2003 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am interested in some feedback from anyone of you intellectualls to fill me in on the future implications of this perplexing theory.

"Carpe Diem"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Mr. Humble is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, there is a new thing being discovered as we speak called a quantum computer. Conventional computers use silicon and electricity to make on/off (1/0) switches also known as bits. These quantum computers use *modified flourine compounds and microwave radiation to make what is known as a qubit. A cubit is on, off, and BOTH (0/1/01) This is done by making the molocule react in a way with the microwave so that it is positioned either "up" "down" or "both" The description is described as "both" because scientists can't figure out what it is doing! So using these given properties, scientists have made *very* simple quantum comps. that do "parallel" processing (as opposed to serial processing) And they do it so fast, they dwarf the conventional computer in speed. Well, that's all I know about them! *modified flourine molocules; I'm not sure what exactly, but I know it isn't found in nature and is a cool shade of green

""How do you know we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi FF9"
 49yrs • M •
Plato2003 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
wow, cool stuff Humble. thanx for your feedback. Now, these so called cubits (or qubits), as you mentioned, act as 'on', 'off', and both. Interestinglly, this phenomenon reminded me of Shrodingers phenomenon which I covered in my undergrad. chemistry course which im sure you'r aware of. Also, this 'parallel' processing phenomenon Iv'e heard is being used in genetic screening projects. kool stuff. keep those new stuff comin and let me know what your background is in. thanx man.

"Carpe Diem"
 38yrs • M •
I *HATE* that paradox! I don't know why but it just isn't logical that the cat would be alive and dead at the same time *sobs quietly* Likewise the whole qubit processing doesn't seem possible but it IS logical. Ugh... I'm not on the mood for discuion on this right now, I just got over a 4 hour discussion on why I should perceive God the way my mother does. Grr! BTW Thanx for the props dood!

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that think4yourself is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One thing about quantum computers, you do not need flourine molecules to make them work. There are several approaches to making qubits, although I don't know how many have successfully been done in the lab.

The fact that a qubit can be both on and off comes from the statistical nature of quantum mechanics. Normal 2 state objects have one of the two states, even if no one knows which one. In quantum mechanics an object can be in a 50/50 state of uncertainty and it actually behaves like both. One interpretation of this is the multiverse theory. There are many parallel universes, and the particle is in the ON state in 50% of them, and the OFF state in the rest. Similarly a particle can be in a 70/30 state, or have many different states with probabilities associated with them, because of its behavior in the many universes in which it resides.

According to the multiverse interpretation of quantum mechanics, quantum computers do their parallel processing in parallel universes. Since there are infinitely many universes available, the computer does calculations simultaneously on all input combinations, no matter how many there are (this number can be astronomical).

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that think4yourself is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A few other potential applications are:

- Room temperature superconductivity
- Theoretically unbreakable cryptography
- Teleportation
- Understanding of consciousness (understanding leads to creation and manipulation)

An optimistic ETA for quantum computers is about 10 years, but most say it will take longer. Some say crucial challenges will never be overcome ....but I'm not one of these people

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I just feel like adding my 2 cents.

In regards to Shroedenger's(?) cat, I would say the cat isn't anything. Because you cannot see the cat, or smell it, or hear it, or taste it or feel it, it doesn't exist. There's no way to prove that the cat exists in the 1st place.

Now don't try and read into this and say I'm anti-christian because I'm not, and that's for a whole nother topic.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 38yrs • M •
Shroedenger's Cat was a paradox that involved a box with a cat and a small amount of radioactive material in it. The material was to be stable enough to not kill the cat all the time. The cat was given a 50/50 chance of living or dieing. If you can not see the cat, is it dead or alive? The answer (in theory) is that it is both! In one universe the material killed the cat. In the other universe it lived. So that is the basis for that paradox, that the cat can be alive and dead at the same time... See why I hate that paradox? It's just confusing....

38yrs • F •
mojojojo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i recently had discussion with my boyfriend on the old shrodingers cat idea... well, hes all clever and sciency, and i, well- im about to start a theatre degree. you get the idea. but anyhoo, i think its facinatingly silly!
people keep saying the cat is both alive AND and, or neither aliver NOR dead. why arnt people seeing the big OR involved?
heck, i know jack about this sort of thing but i do have common sense, and it tells me if you have a record of putting the cat into the box, then its in the fricken box. and once the lid is on and we cant see the poor thing, then its either alive OR dead. there are no two cats in there. because reality tells us we only put ONE in. one + nothing doesnt = 2.

i could tell you that before i started typing this i could have danced around a tree with some goblins. or maybe they were elves in another reallity.... but you couldnt call me a liar, because no one was there to see it. (tree falling in woods idea..) but are you seriously telling me there is a full on scientific theory with the maths to go with it on this subject? please give me a break!

although this is the argument that went on early last century, why are people beliveing it!? its an interesting thought, but nothing more. sorry- im just like that. apologies to all cat fans and sciency people out there!

mojo x

"thats where i saw the leprichaun.. he tells me to burn things"
 41yrs • M •
binaryfairy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
wait if that is all true and you have a quantum pc does taht mean if you open the case and look inside that it would slow down or not function at all...eg: the cat is alive or dead once you look inn the box

"Search for truth and find Madness"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy