Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What defines good or evil? - Page 2

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What defines good and evil

The society's common think of it
"If it's right for most of the people then it should be right and good, but if it isn't right for the common people then it is bad or evil"

It's in quotation' 'cuz, even though it is true, I prefer not to belive in it

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It's in quotation' 'cuz, even though it is true, I prefer not to belive in it
I think you are right, just because the majority accepts something doesn't make it a good nor does their nonacceptance make it bad. An explosive is neither good nor evil but by the use of it, are we judged good or evil.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good and evil are not rational or logical things. Consistency and morals do not mix. Because, a person's sense of morals do not come from logic, they come from culture and instincts (usually called gut-feeling). However, people are capable of coming up with logical morals, what *should* be morals (philosophy is almost dedicated to this).

Not surprisingly, our cultural and instinctive morals are in contradiction with our logical conclusions of what is moral. Thus although you may determine what is moral through thought, you are doomed to hypocrisy or evil because your natural sense of morals (and thus how you act in practice) is in contradiction with what is moral through thought.

This is verified in practice. We in the West are the proof. We are obscenely wealthy, any middle class man is in fact wealthier then some of the greatest kings of old. And we all pertinently KNOW that there are people who need help everywhere (whether at home, or in Africa and Asia). But do we help them? How many here give even 10% of their income to relief organisations? And even 10% is an arbitrary number, a true moral person would give all he works for but a bare minimum to the weak who cannot help themselves.

If you attempt to rationally determine what is good and what is evil, you doom yourself to the inability of following even your own sense of morals and thus to hypocrisy and evil.

Not sure if that was clear?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good and evil are human manifestations. The remainder of the universe functions on a masculine/feminine balance, neither good nor evil. The sun is masculine, the moon is feminine, water and earth and feminine, air and fire are masculine. Good and evil, light and dark, regenerative and degenerative are our reality. Everything is in itself an entity regenerative entities, entities that invigorate, re-create, etc. are entities like care, peace, compassion, understanding, appreciation, freedom and acceptance. Degenerative entities, on the other hand, has to take from our 'good' energy source in order to survive. Things like anger, fear, regret, helplessness and judgement leave us feeling drained and heavy.

That's how I see it.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
reply to curtle on axcridnder (forget exact name).. if your saying things balance out in a cycle which i believe they do in the big picture (dif scales) "life to death" "death births life" then acridner is just a representation (everybody has everything just at different scales and diferent times, and can get used to cartain way such as what ytou woulfd label "evil" on arcinder) of the balance of things, his "evil" somehow creates potential energy for a birth of ex: "good" or if he kills somebody, the cylce will continue and a new form will birth out of it yo.. so i guess your playing your role of trying to punish him, your currently on that side of tha balance as we always try tomadress the other side we fell nedd to adress to balnce things out like that...so wjahtver will be will be.. we make big deal out of death n suffering in order to keep things untact but when ya die your energy recycles yo and gets used to that.. logic theioy ia thinhgk

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 37yrs • M •
"The remainder of the universe functions on a masculine/feminine balance, neither good nor evil. The sun is masculine, the moon is feminine, water and earth and feminine, air and fire are masculine."
First of all this is meaningless. Secondly this is cultural, to a German for example the Sun is feminine (she makes things grow) and the Earth is masculine (Fatherland). To a Swede or Russian it is feminine (Motherland). So in sum I hate to be harsh, but this is total bull.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The point was not so much what elements are feminine and which masculine, it was to illustrate the point that the universe is masculine and feminine which is neither good nor evil. It was only there to illustrate the idea that good and evil are human manifestations. Humans are the source evil needs in order to survive. If there were no humans, there would be no evil. So from that perspective, we are in control of how much good or evil there is in the world, because it is us who feeds it, contributes to its growth. In the universe, light just is. So without dark to counter it, light doesn't exist. Universe just runs on principles of patience, care, acceptance and love.

50yrs • F •
Even by saying certain words we connect to the entity of that word and all that it implies. So by playing around with words we can conclude what is evil and what is good. Regenerative and degenerative are terms that best describe the essence and nature of these entities. Language is what builds our reality, it constructs our thoughts and our thoughts lead to what we say and what we do.

It also has a lot to do with intention.One of us may do something that someone sees as evil but if our intention was pure and our purpose was to help someone, but we perhaps chose a method that had a negative effect, we did not, I believe, carry out an evil act, because our intention was good.

Good or evil to me is not so much scenarios but the root is a single word. It is what is behind our words and our actions.

Degenerative: Regret, struggle, revenge, boredom, pity, fear, anger, hatred, guilt, envy, suspicion, worry, shame, blame, ignorance, etc.

Regenerative: Respect, appreciation, understanding, acceptance, patience, love, compassion, courage, inspiration, peace, freedom, truth, balance, awareness, wisdom, trust, grace, growth, health, strength, calm, etc.

Being human (at least in our current awareness) means that we manifest both degenerative and regenerative qualities in our lives. Everyone to varying degrees. And ideally we all strive to live one more than the other, more good than evil.

50yrs • F •
Even by saying certain words we connect to the entity of that word and all that it implies. So by playing around with words we can conclude what is evil and what is good. Regenerative and degenerative are terms that best describe the essence and nature of these entities. Language is what builds our reality, it constructs our thoughts and our thoughts lead to what we say and what we do.

It also has a lot to do with intention.One of us may do something that someone sees as evil but if our intention was pure and our purpose was to help someone, but we perhaps chose a method that had a negative effect, we did not, I believe, carry out an evil act, because our intention was good.

Good or evil to me is not so much scenarios but the root is a single word. It is what is behind our words and our actions.

Degenerative: Regret, struggle, revenge, boredom, pity, fear, anger, hatred, guilt, envy, suspicion, worry, shame, blame, ignorance, etc.

Regenerative: Respect, appreciation, understanding, acceptance, patience, love, compassion, courage, inspiration, peace, freedom, truth, balance, awareness, wisdom, trust, grace, growth, health, strength, calm, etc.

Being human (at least in our current awareness) means that we manifest both degenerative and regenerative qualities in our lives. Everyone to varying degrees. And ideally we all strive to live one more than the other, more good than evil.

37yrs • M •
" It was only there to illustrate the idea that good and evil are human manifestations."
As are the ideas of masculine and feminine. A rock is not male or female.

Though I will agree with you that the universe itself is not funamentally good or bad, and that morals are a human creation.

50yrs • F •
A rock is not male or female, but that is quite different from masculine and feminine. Every human being, male or female, has both masculine and feminine qualities (determination, stamina, openness, inclusiveness – masculine and feminine but neither good nor evil). And everything that exists outside of human beings does also, I believe. Every belief system refers to universal and natural elements as 'mother', 'father', 'brother', or 'sister'. Although everyone may not agree on which elements are feminine and which are masculine, they all seem to agree that they are one or the other.

72yrs • M •
In Native American Traditions, Inyan is masculine.
Also the 4 Directions are associated to certain colors & directions. While the individual tribal traditions associate the color & directions, they do not subscribe them as universal.
patape, I am having trouble finding the comment you related too?

50yrs • F •
And what or who is Inyan?

72yrs • M •
Native Traditions reguard Wakan Tankan as the Creator, creation as an aspect of the creator which form a binary progression. Wakan Tanka is divided into 2, which are divided into 2, each is called an associate. Sun [Wi] & Motion [SkanSkan], earth [Maka Ina] & rock or stone [Inyan]
quote:
skan => motion there for SkanSkan => motion within motion, (the earth's spin within the rotation or as the solar systems spin within the rotation of the galaxy)

What defines good or evil? - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy