Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Honorable or not?

User Thread
 63yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Honorable or not?
Something came up in a prior discussion that caught my interest. Without rehashing verbatim, suffice to say the idea of not disclosing basic, not too personal information about oneself during a discussion came up. Now the one deliberately doing this in order to claim superior objectivity over the other person i.e. so it can be believed that they have no personal interest at stake. Is that honorable?

If so, what if at some later point it was revealed that the opinions presented as completely objective just by chance were right in line with the person's personal perspective that could have been deduced easily had the basic information been known? Would that still be honorable.

I find this interesting because I never thought of puposly not letting my perspective be known in that way. Where would the chance to learn about each other arise? But maybe their is some advantage that I'm overlooking? I just didn't get the feeling there was primarily because the bias perspective can be sensed as the discussion progresses anyway. Am I off base?

"To love oneself is to love others."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hi.

I didn't read the conversation your talking about and don't know who it was with, but this is something I have done in the past.

When I give a piece of my personal self on this website it is in an attempt to show that I am being genuine, sencere and honest. Kinda like, "Hey, I'm going out on a limb here for you, can you be honest and vulnerable with me here? Cause you may be wrong and I believe that you aren't being humble enough to see it."

Like I said, didn't read the conversation, but thats why I do it.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 63yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exactly! That's why I don't understand the position of not doing it. I do not see how giving the impression of complete neutrality when it is most unlikely by the fact you're enguaged in the conversation to begin with adds credibility?

Oh well, thanks for the input.

"To love oneself is to love others."
Honorable or not?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy