Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Milgram's Studies

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Milgram's Studies
Just an interesting experiment i saw on BBC4 (a indie channel in the UK). Stanley Milgram was a Jew living in America not long after the Second World War and subsequently, not long after the Holocaust. Milgram was performing a study as to why the Nazi soldiers serving under Hitler and his posse would possibly choose to perform such an unspeakable horror as the holocaust. Before the war these people were rational, friendly normal people. Yet they were suddenly driven to killing millions of innocent Jews.
Milgram wanted to find out why they would do this, and whether it could be imitated.
Milgram created an experiment wherein he placed 10 people in a room with a series of switches and on the other side of the room an actor with a two-way mirror. The subject was tasked with asking the actor a series of questions, every time the questioned answered a question wrong, they were supposedly given an increasingly high voltage of electric shock. However, in reality the actor would pretend to be shocked and the reaction of the subject would be recorded. The final voltage could kill a man.
During the test, 7 out of 10 subjects thought they had delivered lethal doses of electricity to the actor, only one person refused to complete the test, the others stopped doing it before the lethal voltage.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what this says about being in a position of power and how it can corrupt people.

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Learned about this in psychology.

My question would be when are we going to learn from it.

I didn't know the history of the experimentor though, which is quite apt and appropriate given current global political climates.

As an American today I already feel like a german crying out against the nazis and generally have such cries fall on deaf ears or even facing violent rebuke protecting and endorsing and even calling out for more wars.

People, America is on the ground or bombing openly 5 countries, right now! With plans for boots on the ground in Libya this year and the intention of inflamming Pakistan further for more destabilization and all out middle east meltdown!

In tandem with global financial meltdown and the ultimate plans of those behind all of these things, there is nothing more important in the world today.

But hardly anyone seems to notice or care. So we get what we deserve, enjoy.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
Milgram's Studies
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy