A jack of all trades is a master of none but he who understands but one thing understands nothing. - XsEyes
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Red Vs. Blue: Who Picks Who?

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I recently saw the movies Yes Man (good movie go watch it) and really liked it, so I decided to come home and look up some interviews with Jim Carry (played the lead role) in them. He was on Larry King Live and he was asked what he thought about Barrack Obama. He replied with something like this, (I think that the world sees that we wanna "play ball" because of us electing Barrack Obama."

I think hes referencing NATO and the incident with France where we no longer had "French Fries" but "Freedom Fries." (the French were boycotted because they refused to ally with us in the Iraq war)

What I gather from this is that he is an individual that wants America to be seen in a positive light and wants to "play ball" with other countries in terms of war, environment, and global industry. He thinks that it is important for America to "make nice" with other countries.

(If you've already gotten offended or jumpety at this point, please do not respond.... I can't believe I have to say that but you KNOW that there are some people on this site that just wanna fight sometimes and I'm not interested in a fight)

I think of all of the points that he made and I see nothing wrong with them in the sense of democracy. I had the following thought.

It seems that voting is the time that you should be selfish. The idea behind voting in a free country is that all people vote on issues. When people vote they are saying "I want to see it this way." Once all of the votes are counted a decision is made accordingly and something changes (or stays the same). The reason why it should be selfish is because it is your only time to say what you want out of life, and it is the only real power you have in making it that way. So, if you think that less polution in the air is a good thing, you cote accordingly. Most people will not think of the ramifications it will have on other people (such us unwanted taxes, extra regulations and restrictions, etc) instead they feel only what they want and go for it. The only fitting word for such an act is selfish, but there is nothing wrong with that. Because in a Democratic nation, everyone has a say, and everyones opinion matters. On the same token, if some votes against gay marriage they aren't being an evil person, they are saying that they feel that it is a sin, and their faith does not allow them to let sin fly. I saw a PSA on Prop 8 (banning gay marriage in California) and someone said "just because we don't want gay marriage it doesn't make us bigots or hate mongers. Jesus told the adultress that he loved, and meant it, but that he could not allow her to continue sinning.) What I gather from this that what that girl was saying was, she wants gay people to be happy, and loves them as she loves all people, but God's plan (something that her faith tells her she can not understand, but must follow) does not allow for it, and there for it can not be allowed.

Now, I'm not a fan of religion, I am also Pro-Gay Marriage. But I can not blame this woman for voting against for the same reason that I can not blame Jim Carry for wanting to play ball, even though I personally may think that's a crock of shit, because American Democracy is meant to give EVERYONE a chance to speak, and that the majority of the population will win.

What I am trying to say is, I feel that no one is wrong in their desires for what they think the country should be. Some people may be more informed than others, ( some people are REALLY REALLY REALLY mis-informed) but voting is your one chance to say what you want.

So, what I'm asking, is why do you think people chose republican? And why do some people choose Democrat?

I see it like this.

Jim Carry wants to play ball and wants to be a part of the world, in a positive way. Therefor he is willing to obied by the worlds rules and regulations, because he feels that it will make the world a better place. (Blue)

Joe Shmo out in the woods thinks that he doesn't want anything to do with the world as a whole and just wants to be left alone to make his own happiness and his own life. If a wandering stranger with a broken leg came to his house, he would most certainly help him out all that he could, because it directly involves him and his family, but other than that, he sees no reason why he, as individual, should have to pay higher taxes because people in Los Angeles ( people he isn't fond of anyway) are polluting a lot. (Red)

Of course there are many other issues, some absurd some meaningful, but it seems to me that it boils down to (with no lobbyists such as Christians or gays involved) that Blues want to be apart of the world as a whole, and Reds want to be left alone.

Your take?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like your analogy. And the notion that everyone, no matter how completely retarded or ill-informed should still have a voice is what the country was suppose to be founded on.

That's why the U.S. is so effed up now. Apathy and greed supersedes growth and change in the vast majority, particularly with those of greater influence.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I view red and blue much differently and maybe that is the difference when voting, how you view what the parties stand for. I think republicans stand for corporate welfare and I think democrats stand for middle class growth (being funded some how).

Mostly everyone has their own biases and label certain view points with negative and positive stereotypes. So based on that they draw a conclusion of who represents them.

Although I don't subscribe to either of the parties totally when voting I vote for who come closer to what I would like to see.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 35yrs • M
Zack- Does Joe Shmo in the woods stand for corporate welfare?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 33yrs • M •
My guess is no, but you said what you think it boils democrats and republicans social views and how you see them.

I said I think it comes down to how money's spent and how I see them.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 35yrs • M
You said that republicans are greedy and care about corporations. And that democrats care about middle class. If Joe is a republican and does not care about corporations, your statement is no longer valid... Please just understand that your idea of what republicans are is a limited one and could use revising... I am trying to show you this using undeniable logic. Just accept what I am saying, and re-think what you said.

On a second note

"My guess is no, but you said what you think it boils democrats and republicans social views and how you see them"

I have no idea what this means... it is literally illiterate I CAN NOT read it...

33yrs • M •

"Does Joe Shmo in the woods stand for corporate welfare?"

"I have no idea what this means... it is literally illiterate I CAN NOT read it..."

"boils down to that Blues want to be apart of the world as a whole, and Reds want to be left alone."

You asked a question I answered it. Then I stated what you had said except I summarized making the mistake you knew how to infer information. Then I explained my response. All in two sentences, sorry wasting people time with redundant paragraphs isn't my thing.

"I am trying to show you this using undeniable logic."

No you have not used logic. You made shit up. That is not logic. Republicans have not lowered your taxes. They borrowed money from other countries so Americans temporary didn't have to pay more taxes. Then used the money Americans just lent to pay off private companies in wars, recovery from disasters and to bail out wall street. But the money still has to be payed so eventually your taxes will raise if you don't want to end up looking like Zimbabwe.

If Joe doesn't understand this he probably still thinks George was a good president, doesn't know how the basics of are messed economic system and still buys things on credit.

I'm sure Joe also doesn't understand why making piece with other countries is good because he himself has never fought in a war so he is ok with volunteering future generations to do so.

"If Joe is a republican and does not care about corporations, your statement is no longer valid."

No that makes unaware of what he's voting for and an total idiot, because the basic value that defines a republican is business and thus corporation growth.

But you said it yourself any idiot can express what ever he/she wants with their vote. Even some idiot who refers to himself in third person under a fake name while using another fake name on the internet.

I posted on this because it read like you thought about what you wrote not just spewed it out. I thought you wanted to know why people voted for who they did in order to get a deeper look into the mind. Not because you wanted to get political with people.

35yrs • M
Your communication skills are severely lacking.

I live in the biggest city in my county and would hate living in the woods.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy